Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

21in Sonic Carbon wheels suspension setting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bhakan

MSLR MSM/Blk/19/FSD, Ord 6/10/21, Del 2/20/22
Jan 2, 2018
Bethesda, MD
I have a S 100D that has 21in wheels. I am noticing that the rims are getting the rash often the last few weeks and it seems really low compared to my other cars. I did not have this issue with my previous S with 19in wheels. When I am parking and the curb is low the wheels get a rash right away. The car was with a detailer not too long ago. Does the suspension setting matter at all for this? I am naive. If so, what setting should I keep for suspension-standard or High? What is the difference?
Thanks

The sidewall height on the 21" tires are very short compared to the 19" tires. Besides being more susceptible to curb rash, people have experienced more damage from potholes.

Higher Smart Air Suspension settings will help you from bottoming out on speed bumps or crowned driveways.

• Informative
Reactions: bhakan
The sidewall height on the 21" tires are very short compared to the 19" tires. Besides being more susceptible to curb rash, people have experienced more damage from potholes.

Higher Smart Air Suspension settings will help you from bottoming out on speed bumps or crowned driveways.
Thanks. Any way to prevent it?

To prevent curb rash, put on wider tires or don't park so close to the curb.

To avoid pothole damage, drive around them or drive slower over them, but that is not always possible to do.

You could buy a set of 20" wheels with a tire that have a taller sidewall and wider, than the 21".
Do you have any suggestion or pics for getting 20in wheels? How will the range be affected? Do I keep the same Continental tires or change tires also? How will the noise be? Getting in to my driveway and parking at plazas next to the curb create curb rash because it is very low. I love the look for that extra money and I got it CP coated also. Thanks

Do you have any suggestion or pics for getting 20in wheels? How will the range be affected? Do I keep the same Continental tires or change tires also? How will the noise be? Getting in to my driveway and parking at plazas next to the curb create curb rash because it is very low. I love the look for that extra money and I got it CP coated also. Thanks

This poster put the Model X 20" on his car and it looks great

Model X 20" Sonic Carbon Wheels on Model S

Here's a thread with pics of aftermarket wheels in all different sizes Show off your aftermarket wheels.

If you get 20" rims, your Continentals won't fit because they are 21".
If you get rims that are lighter than stock then the range will be better. How much better, I don't know.