TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

21s and range

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by steilkurve, Jun 20, 2015.

1. steilkurve

steilkurve Member

Curious, does changing tires from 19 to 21s affect how the car calculates rated range? Asking because I recently installed turbine 21s on my new P85D, about a month into ownership. At that point, I also started charging at 70% instead of 90. Ever since, I have seen a rated range reduction. So, would that be the 3% range loss from the 21s, the 70% debalancing the cells or just plain degradation? Latter would surprise me as 1600 miles on the car but... Any info appreciated. Thanks.

2. jerjozwik

jerjozwik Member

did you add new tires with your new wheels? car is still kinda new to get a real ideal of range, i think the first p85ds had to get into 5,000 miles before range became consistent.

3. tomanik

tomanik Member

My thought would be "70% debalancing the cells."

4. steilkurve

steilkurve Member

Yep. Went from 19s with Tesla's standard tires to the 21s with ContiSports so sticky rubber summer tires.