Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

21's or 22's on my 2018 Model S 75D?

21's or 22's on my 2018 Model S 75D?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That company told me they were going to be releasing an arachnid style wheel, I have yet to see it on there but was really hoping they have it, since Tesla is not selling them anymore.

If you want arachnids, keep an eye on the TMC “parts for sale” section. Usually they will pop up between $2600-$3k brand new, wheels and tpms2.

This would be a “safer” choice regarding durability as they are forged and lots of talk they are less prone to getting damaged or dented. They are also lighter than the turbines.

I originally went this route, but ultimately liked the looks of the turbines better so I switched. Still have both and may go back and forth or may go back to arachnids if turbines give me any issues.

Pics of 19” cyclones, 21” arachnids and 21” turbines for comparison. (Hmmm won’t upload, I’ll try and post pics later)

DD308FE1-3D93-4B7B-9C80-F7446391B859.jpeg

6555965C-2D09-46B2-A0F3-1A248BF34C99.jpeg

0572E853-CA8D-4DCD-B1CB-9C6009CC58DD.jpeg

Last edited:
All these posts complaining about breakage and range loss on 21". I must have some sort of unicorn wheel set because even in eastern Pennsylvania aka pothole hell thus far zero issues running staggered 22" wheels with the UP lowering brackets. Little to no noticeable range loss on the 100D running 22" vs the factory 19" wheels. On my 2017 the ride is softer than the P85D loaner I had with 21" turbines. Pay attention, keep the tires inflated and run the proper offset. Go big or go home.

47135C92-7F17-4F8E-9633-DE8D1977376D.jpeg
DC718993-A0F2-4EA1-9D26-763F2A97B1FC.jpeg

All these posts complaining about breakage and range loss on 21". I must have some sort of unicorn wheel set because even in eastern Pennsylvania aka pothole hell thus far zero issues running staggered 22" wheels with the UP lowering brackets. Little to no noticeable range loss on the 100D running 22" vs the factory 19" wheels. On my 2017 the ride is softer than the P85D loaner I had with 21" turbines. Pay attention, keep the tires inflated and run the proper offset. Go big or go home.

View attachment 368033View attachment 368034

Pothole hell? You apparently haven't been to Montréal... for how much time/mileage have you ran your 22s? Just curious

• Disagree
Reactions: EVSteve

View attachment 368033View attachment 368034

Beautiful car & wheel setup !

What kind of wheels, offsets, & tire sizes are you running ?

• Love
Reactions: EVSteve
if i could reorder my car again, i would of gotten the 19's and then bought aftermarket 20's.

21's look awesome, however it comes with a heavy price.

1. They are fragle as hell, and i always have road anxiety actively hounding out potholes, and trying to avoid them to the best of my ability, because one bad pothole, and you will end up crying, especially since our cars do not come with a spare, and tesla only allows a x amount of days of loaner spare rental, unless you are getting the rim replaced / repaired though them. (tesla wont even repair them, they tell you get a new rim.)

2. Tires.... you have like 4 choices on tires... no kidding... compared to the millions on the 20's and billions on the 19's.
Did i mention they are always staggered on a 21, so you cant even rotate the tires.
That means, yes, most 21 inch owners will end up going though about roughly 1100-1500 dollars in tires every 2-3 yrs depending on how often you drive... or roughly anywhere from 7000 miles (P100D owners who have heavy feet :oops:) to i hear some people streched that to 12000 miles... but anymore and your probably driving really really slow.

3. Ugh did i mention how stressful it is to always actively look out for potholes... sigh... especially on days that rain where the pot hole be filled with water, and you wouldnt know until it was too late....

4. Last to mention did note that it is also EXTREMELY stressful to drive on a roads you are not familar with when you see potholes as well, as you automatically go into pothole avoidance mode, and end up not having fun.

So my vote is 20's...
My friend has 20's on her 100D, and honestly her car rides better, she paid 875 dollars on 4 set of tires, and she easily went though 15k miles on them because she could rotate them.

But yes the 21's look very good, but IMO, not worth the extra headache and cost over life of car vs 20's.
1xqB3pwUC-mC9g3SfVAn5yyMRZnGUWEEK9PcCQKcsYN42fH4ZO1diYmZzrp-rXNf0mb01Mp3InX0RhmiaZ1Cs98HBCjjzr3uQFTHU1_BPJdvZVodF6yF3tbs7Xb1nUCaZiJIOJrClbhPxiW0b7F8pR7QNDWC5R2IrPtK9V8lXTlkHnTv6aZbmYIPybwK3rtt9uoNpwqyNsFokBEFYiu_SMxjU8mYgwe1apdUp3eia3KiiyQTrEPm0wMqLMeTHXZWRXGB0xP0Lv7euc2cPLMsbvMZ6r0ChLP9QqvqkFlyRaMpAADRSOVkEhly4g8JzL3VPUiHeU0Xqhxyv7CApTI8fXfPcxnq0uCbSBegrKHWAqwmUl80D190yp-iM4rfv1CqG45alGb0HgSkXyXTuec1fxkJkst72YkHRhB7K-YnwRmSUiov7E7SG8_xokHtKi5ovR0ys2PAXVe6PMapmZtMAOJ0O1NDP0p-6lASIgGkHiQkecfzHspwdTcGl7R43csrPIH2T85UPHcMiiTL3nAerjGsmHK78lcMzRCrS3_gAzFLTc4PtWjKMnef8IOVuUSye0VhCSMi_QhAs0qfKzgo5ZUpDCXj_9ewsTXofggxSdy6XXiVbfUDnE_DTgxoRM1zswR-0xG6yddHzm057fTqnBk8=w1440-h1080-no

So if cost of ownership is also a factor, i would stay with 20's where you have a larger choice in tires, a bit more comfortable ride, and less road anxiety on potholes.

Last edited:
Reactions: kingleonidas
8DCEDD7D-43B7-43C0-9478-1BC6C1DB6C54.jpeg
6C7F0C48-77CA-40CF-898E-6A37618618BF.jpeg
I’ve got to drive my new Tesla model 100D in the snow several times when it’s been fairly deep at over 7 inches. I also have a large SUV that I Usually drive in the deep snow. My tesla feels like I’m driving my snowmobile. I set it on the highest settings for the air suspension and even with the standard continental 19 inch tires she goes anywhere I ask her to go. It turns so well around the corner and even when I try to get it to drift or slide it comes right back into line very quickly in
deep fresh snow.

It’s just amazing and enjoyable to drive in the snow and creates A fun snowmobile ride and makes me want to stay out the snow all day long!. It’s so interesting to see other large SUVs and other front wheel drives struggle on hills while my tesla with full wheel drive and heavy weight just eases right up that slick hill with no problems at all and drive around other SUVs like they were sitting still. I don’t drive crazy, I just drive it like a snowmobile. No wonder the Scandinavian countries are buying so many of these.

So although I still have the opportunity to drive by large 4 Wheel Dr. SUV, I now prefer to drive my Tesla on snow days. Now I will say once the salt trucks and sand and rock get on the road I go back to my older truck, as I’d like to keep my paint perfect even though I have a full front wrap on the car.

I will be out today and ready for another snowstorm coming in theis afternoon having complete thrills as I drive my white snowmobile in safety and security. If only more people knew about how well teslas drive in the snow, they wouldn’t even care about minimal battery loss with cold weather. It’s just plain fun. I’ve often thought I’d love to put some skids on the front and a track on the back and go out off-road in the deep snow. Hopefully Elon Will consider making battery-operated fast snowmobiles for real.

And btw, I make no yellow snow for the environment!