Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

21's to 20's with a twist!???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am removing the factory 21's and going to 20 inch Vossen HF2’s, 9 inch front and 10.5 rear. This will cut the unsprung weight by 12 pounds per corner in the front and 11 in the rear on the rim weight alone. Something that confuses me is the tire size.

The factory setup uses 255/35/21 Front and 275/35/21 in the Rear. Pictured Below. As you can see it’s a staggered setup.

From what I see is when going to 20’s most people go to a 255/40/20 Front and 275/40/20 rear. That means that the factory setup in front is .6 inches shorter than the rear and their new setup is .7 shorter in the front than the rear.

factory tires.jpg

most new setup.jpg

I propose something slightly different in the front, a 245/45/20 instead of a 255/40/20. As you can see its slightly more narrow but will fit on a 9 or 9.5 inch rim without issue and the height/diameter is exactly the same which means the sidewall is also the same. Can anyone think of a reason why this would be a problem? This enables you to have more tire options and lighter tire options from Continental like the Control Contact Sport SRS ultra high performance all season. They are 4.5 lbs lighter in front and 2 pounds lighter in the rear vs the Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus. (See Below)

Thanks in advance

proposed tires.png