Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

22.9.1 or Powerwall/Inverter/UFO? Very low solar generation, panels in full sun

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This has been happening for a few weeks now - midday, full sun (should be cranking 2.8-3 kW) for no apparent reason the solar generation drops to 10% of normal (0.2-0.4kW) & stays that way for an hour, or sometimes never recovers, or will recover if I reset the PW. I've just tried all the reset/reboot/power cycle magic and it hasn't changed. Seems like something is failing hardware wise, but as usual it's impossible to get Tesla to come out and look, let alone get to anyone at "Tier 2" to look at it. I do have a ticket open, so I guess in a month or so someone might look into it. I dunno about any of you, but this level of support really makes me sure to never buy a Tesla product again.

Screen Shot 2022-04-12 at 12.49.30 PM.png

It could be the update. Seems many on 22.9.1 are having the same issue

Updated to 22.9.1, seeing random periods where solar produces .4kW max. Connected with chat, they first wanted to tell me its all good since I produced "enough" for my system. This while I am looking at full sun on the panels generating .4kW and PW not charging or discharging to cover the shortfall. They "pushed an update just released this morning" (probably the same 22.9.1 as before) - no change. I just did the 10 second reset dance and after the PW came back up, it's working correctly. We'll see how long it keeps working.

This has been happening for a few weeks now - midday, full sun (should be cranking 2.8-3 kW) for no apparent reason the solar generation drops to 10% of normal (0.2-0.4kW) & stays that way for an hour, or sometimes never recovers, or will recover if I reset the PW. I've just tried all the reset/reboot/power cycle magic and it hasn't changed. Seems like something is failing hardware wise, but as usual it's impossible to get Tesla to come out and look, let alone get to anyone at "Tier 2" to look at it. I do have a ticket open, so I guess in a month or so someone might look into it. I dunno about any of you, but this level of support really makes me sure to never buy a Tesla product again.

View attachment 792882
When this is happening have you gone to look at your meter to see what it is reporting? Is it also at zero?
What about your system, is a separate invertor or a PW2+ with the integrated invertor?

When this is happening have you gone to look at your meter to see what it is reporting? Is it also at zero?
What about your system, is a separate invertor or a PW2+ with the integrated invertor?
Separate inverter, whole house is backed up. Electric meter seems to mirror the software (not running backwards, draw matches net flow reported by web interface)