TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

22% depreciation in 8 months [Update: sold it for 5.4% less than new price]

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Marius A, Nov 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mswlogo

mswlogo Well-Known Member

This thread is so dumb.

He says FSD is crap in Norway, but he bought it anyway. And one of his demands is he wants them to transfer it to the next car.

For a new car 22% isn’t all that terrible for a TRADE. Especially with Tesla as they don’t buy back software.

As others have said I think a new Model 3 could easily have most of the same issues.

Allergic to black seats but not white seats.

Find another brand.

• Like x 2
  2. Marius A

Marius A Member

I bought FSD based on what the salesman told me, and it turns out to be not true.
    Use anywhere? No, only use on highways.
    Speed limit detection? No.
    Navigate through roundabouts? No.
    Smooth experience? No, panic breaking a lot of the time, especially with overhead passes.
    Extremely good autopark? Let's not get started with this.
    Navigate on autopilot is amazing? No, navigate on autopilot insists on changing lanes up to 59km away from the off-ramp.

If I could get it transferred then my car would be worth more, it has a higher resell value. There isn't really a lot more you can do to sweeten the deal on a car with very limited customisation options (which I approve of, nobody wants the Audi Bible of Configuration Options).

See attached image of the effect I'm having in my car with black interior. I'm not getting that from the white interior, based on the showroom/test drive car and my colleague's car, which both have white interior. I don't know what the difference is, I can only testify that there is a difference.

Attached Files:

• Disagree x 2
  3. holmgang

holmgang Active Member

This is my strategy for the Performance:

1. Purchase and drive on the silver OEM 20" winter wheelset (pretty much an imperative...)
    2. In Spring, swap the summer rubbers onto silver wheels
    3. Sell the dark gray 20" wheels as like-new unused
    4. Find 18s/19s for subsequent winter

who out there wants oem 20"s though? saw a dude trying to flip a set of unused 20s" with hakka r3s still with the sticker on the tires, for 25.000kr

• Like x 1
  4. OCR1

OCR1 Active Member

So a salesperson told you FSD could do things that it can’t do and you bought it without verifying his claims.

Then you drove in a car with a white interior and did not have an allergic reaction.

Do you see a pattern here?

• Like x 1
  5. quikshifter

quikshifter Member

6. Marius A

Marius A Member

Are you defending salespeople who outright lie to their customers? I'm not sure how it works where you live, but it's not normal to lie over here. Exaggerate, yes, lie, no.

Like most Europeans who got their TM3 during q1 2019 I never even saw a TM3 before I got my own. The only alternative resources are either ANTI-Tesla or PRO-Tesla articles, so we have to rely on what Tesla sales is saying.

Now we know, very well, that Q1 TM3 overall had awful build quality, we know that almost none of the FSD features aren't going to be available in many countries, and we know that the post-June 2019 cars have better build quality and noise isolation.

• Like x 2
  7. OCR1

OCR1 Active Member

I can't recall a single purchase that I've ever made in my entire life where I relied on the statement of a salesperson to determine if the product is a good fit for me. Whether the salesperson lied, was misinformed, or told you something that you misunderstood is not relevant. It's a major $50K+ purchase and you can't rely on the word of a salesperson who may or may not know what they are talking about to make the decision. There is an infinite amount of information available on the internet that could easily be accessed within minutes that can tell you everything you want to know about Tesla, Model 3's, and Full Self Driving capabilities. It is your responsibility to make sure you thoroughly research these vehicles before making a decision to purchase. You can blame the sales rep for giving you bad information but there is still nothing you can do about it other than take a major financial hit, learn from your mistakes and declare yourself a victim.

The purpose of my post was to see if you have the ability to have some insight into how you are going about making purchasing decisions. Your first decision did not work out because you relied on verbal information from one individual who was wrong.

Now you are about to buy a new car and take a major loss on your current car because one person at Tesla told you there is something different about the white seats. And you took a drive in someone else's car with white seats and did not have a rash. This logic is equally flawed to the logic you used to make your initial purchase.

Smart people learn from their mistakes. You need to wise up.

• Love x 2
    • Informative x 1
  8. WilliamG

WilliamG Active Member

Where are you getting this information from??

9. Knightshade

Knightshade Well-Known Member

All the things you say he lied about you could've learned yourself with a few minutes research. Hell just reading the online owners manual would've clarified nearly all of it.

I've never bought a car in my life, and I've bought quite a few, where the salesperson didn't lie, numerous times.

Often this is out of ignorance as it's very rare to find one who actually knows a damn thing about their own product ...and other times it's out of profit motive (less common with Tesla of course)

Nor is this is exclusive to just car salespersons- I've been lied to by TV salesmen, computer salesmen, appliance salesmen, audio equipment salesmen, travel agents, I mean pretty much every kinda salesperson you can think of.

They generally won't ever admit they don't know something- instead just making something up, or repeating misinformation they heard elsewhere and never checked the truth of.

It's incumbent on the buyer to do his own research.

Again- the actual owners manual is online (and has been for longer than Tesla has sold the model 3 in Europe)

it's very clear what types of roads AP/FSD is intended for use on and what its limitations are.

caveat emptor

10. Joshan

Joshan Member

wtf... are you driving naked? This entire thread reads like a temper tantrum. You are unwilling to listen to anyone and just keep moving the goal posts. But yet you want to buy another.... something here does not pass the smell test.

• Like x 1
  11. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Well-Known Member

It may be that in Norway, there are significant governmental incentives that may significantly offset the depreciation and make buying a new car not that much more expensive.

In the US, being eligible for the Section 179 deduction plus bonus depreciation, made selling (not trading in) my 2017 75X a financial plus. Perhaps the same in Norway.

12. Marius A

Marius A Member

Those look quite good, do you have any experience with them? It says vegan leather, so it might have the same properties, but definitely worth trying for that price!

To the zealots who can't believe me: I feel sorry for you for living in a place where distrust is the norm, and that trust is something to be ridiculed. That sounds awful.

• Funny x 1
  13. holmgang

holmgang Active Member

Almost every private-listed used Model 3 online are asking more money than an equivalent spec car sold as new. Really silly. And because there are no taxes for new EV cars, there are no hidden costs to the comparison.

There were a few MSRP price-drops from before this summer, so people who bought those cars then, base their asking price on their own retail price. Or maybe they're trying to arbitrage on the fact that cars are in high demand now. Either way, it's ridiculous.

• Like x 1
  14. Knightshade

On the contrary it encourages you to educate yourself to be an informed consumer instead of just blindly believing whatever the guy whose literal job it is to convince you to buy from him says in order to make that happen.

As you've learned first hand your way leads you to being stuck with a major purchase you ended up very unhappy with because you didn't bother to educate yourself about the product first.

• Love x 1
  15. Kenz

Kenz Member

#55 Kenz, Nov 29, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
    Trade in value of any car from any dealer are wholesale prices.
    Dealers have costs associated with taking in the vehicle and getting it ready for resale.
    They need to make a profit from selling your used vehicle to cover their costs of clean up / repairs, storing and selling it.
    All cars loose 10-15% of their value the day you drive it off the lot. Some even more.

You are basically giving up some money for the ease of selling your vehicle / trade in to the dealer.
    If you want to make every last dollar from your sale you need to sell it yourself.
    Many people do not want to have strangers coming to their home, taking the car for a test drive and having to worry about bad checks or getting scammed. The trade in is an easier option.

• Informative x 1
  16. Kenz

Kenz Member

Intermittent problems can be hard to identify and fix.
    That is true with any vehicle.
    It is much easier when it is BROKE and they can see it, replace the part and move on.

17. Marius A

Marius A Member

Actually, if they continue that practice they will be banned from selling their products in Norway. That's the kind of society we have, where what we say actually matters, and verbal agreements are just as legally binding as written ones.

Thank you for the tip. The premium nappa leather looked like the best option, just ordered the full set. If this works out I'll have to send you beers!

18. mswlogo

mswlogo Well-Known Member

You’re dreaming if think post June 2019 solves QA problems. My fall 2018 Model 3 had less QA issues than Fall 2018 Model X.

Get seat covers. They make some nice ones or get seats reupholstered.

Most everyone knows what FSD does and does not do. It’s not much different in the USA. Only thing I use is AutoSteer. And I bought FSD twice.

19. Sherlo

Sherlo Member

Tesla appears to doing fairly well in Norway.

"Tesla owners are still the most satisfied electric car customers in this country, according to a recent survey from the Norwegian Electric Car Association."

Complaint record at Tesla - Norway Today

20. Knightshade

Tesla has been selling in Norway since at least 2013- I don't think your consumer laws are quite as strict as you think they are regarding "crap salespeople say to sell cars"

in particular unless you recorded the conversation with the salesperson you have no way to prove you were told anything that differs from the info Tesla publishes and is freely available to the consumer regarding what their products can actually do.

On top of that- unless the Norway tesla website differs greatly from the US one- and the website is the only place you can actually place your order- when you select FSD as an intentional step, it clearly tells you right then and there what FSD can and can't do right now.

This is what the US version shows- and you have to read this and THEN click a box to add the feature to your order-

So it's pretty clear the driving parts are right now for highways...and that recognizing signs or driving on city streets won't come till later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.