Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

22% depreciation in 8 months [Update: sold it for 5.4% less than new price]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tesla appears to doing fairly well in Norway.

"Tesla owners are still the most satisfied electric car customers in this country, according to a recent survey from the Norwegian Electric Car Association."

Complaint record at Tesla - Norway Today
It's because they make fantastic cars, but some people are stuck with lemons. I have never in my life experienced such bad customer service as with Tesla Norway, at one point people were waiting over 12 months to get help with their TMS. Elon himself visited Norway earlier this year to help get the service centers into shape.
The wait is down to 1 month now. I don't know what the customer service was like back then, but I've encountered two technicians who were real a-holes.

I mean, I can't picture myself getting any other car than the TM3 right now. The range, the performance, the sheer joy of driving it. I'm upset because I got a lemon, I as I've said earlier I'm not looking for a perfect version, I just want one which isn't as bad as this one.

I've heard people say a Tesla is like a smartphone on wheels. Well my "smartphone" doesn't have an internet connection if the screen has been off for a couple of hours.

Tesla has been selling in Norway since at least 2013- I don't think your consumer laws are quite as strict as you think they are regarding "crap salespeople say to sell cars"

in particular unless you recorded the conversation with the salesperson you have no way to prove you were told anything that differs from the info Tesla publishes and is freely available to the consumer regarding what their products can actually do.

On top of that- unless the Norway tesla website differs greatly from the US one- and the website is the only place you can actually place your order- when you select FSD as an intentional step, it clearly tells you right then and there what FSD can and can't do right now.

This is what the US version shows- and you have to read this and THEN click a box to add the feature to your order-

So it's pretty clear the driving parts are right now for highways...and that recognizing signs or driving on city streets won't come till later.
I don't expect to convince you, but what salespeople say over here matters. I didn't have to read the manual to verify that my Jetta came with parking assistance. I didn't need to check forums to verify that my Ioniq could charge with a type2 cable. I didn't have to investigate whether my Mazda2 had automatic wipers. Out of Mazda, Honda, Hyundai, Volkswagen and Tesla the only ones who have outright lied to me was Tesla. Exaggerating EV range, sure. Exaggerating fuel economy, sure. Exaggerating performance numbers, yep to that as well. Tesla covers all of those in addition to lying about features that aren't there, doesn't work or isn't supported.

• Disagree
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Honestly this is just stupid. First of all that rash is ridiculous (meaning that it looks like nothing), there's nothing saying that you couldn't or won't get a similar rash from a Tesla Model 3 with white interior. Did you wear the exact same clothes and sit in it for the same amount of time?

The other problems seems like minor issues, but if you really think they add up to something that bad, get another car, you will only end up being dissatisfied again and shelling out even more money.

Back to the original problem, (I dont feel like reading two pages of arguing about seats and colors)....I wonder if an internal antenna to the modem is not properly connected. If you went thru multiple phones then I'd rule that out, and if other models have good connectivity in the same area I'd rule out the area. Maybe email Rick Rebuilds or look at his videos and see if the main board has an external antenna it uses to talk to the outside world and ask if the SC can check it for a bent pin or wrong connection.

Just a thought.

P.S. Wear pants when you are in the M3....Simple...ur welcome.

For what it's worth, Tesla offered me a very fair trade price, only 11% off an 8 month old car with 7100 miles. Given that prices on late model Teslas are being manipulated by the US tax credit that is about to expire, I was happy to accept their offer.
Now you're making me sad :(

I just ordered the taptes seat covers, they seem really good. I'm negotiation with someone who's looking to buy, they're offering what would be a 13.5% loss. If I get it up to 11% like you I'll sell it and keep the P3D+ I've ordered. If not I'll try the seat covers and pray to heavens that the next service appointment will fix the connection issues. The seat covers looked pretty good in the pictures, and even more effective than ceramic coating the stock interior.

Back to the original problem, (I dont feel like reading two pages of arguing about seats and colors)....I wonder if an internal antenna to the modem is not properly connected. If you went thru multiple phones then I'd rule that out, and if other models have good connectivity in the same area I'd rule out the area. Maybe email Rick Rebuilds or look at his videos and see if the main board has an external antenna it uses to talk to the outside world and ask if the SC can check it for a bent pin or wrong connection.

Just a thought.
I'll ask them at the next service appointment. I just find it weird that they haven't looked into it themselves yet.

P.S. Wear pants when you are in the M3....Simple...ur welcome.
Like a madman? No thank you!

Dont take this the wrong way, but they might be a bit reluctant to do beyond the bare basic for you. If you came in to my shop with a conversation similar to your first posting (and #14) I would roll my eyes at you and ask what do you want. Maybe try a systematic approach and decide what you want immediately done and bring them some coffee or something. Try and leave out the personal ailments and skin conditions...They cant fix your genetics, and prob dont care cause it makes you look like a whiner.

Respectfully.

• Love
Reactions: Sherlo
Dont take this the wrong way, but they might be a bit reluctant to do beyond the bare basic for you. If you came in to my shop with a conversation similar to your first posting (and #14) I would roll my eyes at you and ask what do you want. Maybe try a systematic approach and decide what you want immediately done and bring them some coffee or something. Try and leave out the personal ailments and skin conditions...They cant fix your genetics, and prob dont care cause it makes you look like a whiner.

Respectfully.
Actually, that part was escalated to legal and they gathered the information needed to give me a clear answer. They were really friendly, unlike the people at the service center. I got to talk to the guy in charge in Norway and he apologized about not being able to help. Platitudes I'm sure, but that kind of effort is highly appreciated.

Service center technicians I've had to deal with aren't at that level, though. Made a huge gash in my steering wheel, left broken glass in the passenger seat, saying that "if we can't reproduce it it isn't an error" when I have photos and videos to prove it, blamed vinyl wrap for roof cracks. The systematic approach has not been working, it's the whole reason why I'm whining here.
It is also an example of how the "a Tesla only appreciates" saying is a myth, and that it depreciates just like any other car.

I thought it might be a stupid place to complain, after all this forum has a lot of zealots who show up with torches and pitchforks if somebody dares speak ill of the holy T, but I actually got a lot of sympathy. Even help.

Good. When I was ordering mine the local "dealer" (Another state over from me) was ill informed, and his Manager was a bit ****-ish. I had a regional manager reach out to me and ask if he could help, and totally did. He stepped in thru several hiccups in the process and resoved them completely. I actually wrote his Sr. Manager an email about how well his subordinate performed. What we both have to realize thru this is that at the SC level the vast majority of them give absolutely zero ****s about you or your car. Their regional or district Manager DO, because they have performance metrics to speak for, and their bonuses are affected. You are on the right track with someone well above the SC to actually care and fix the problem.

Yup, the Tesla-con's on here make me laugh. Especially when they think they are some type of top fuel dragster mechanic or drag racer with their new electric car, but have zero idea what torque to yield, or deep staging means. Still funny to read their rants about discovering a flathead screwdriver or launching a car that can do nothing but go straight :)

Buying another Tesla just sounds like Groundhog Day. Most “small” issues are persistent with Model 3. But assuming you’re currently driving a late 2018 build, you might be better off with a 2020 build.

That said, most of your issues actually sound like non-issues (except the bad connectivity which sounds like the only real issue and possibly also linked to the reboots). And the skin thing is unfortunate but an idiotic reason to hand in a car. White seats are identical to the black seats in terms of breathability.

I think it’s two bad decisions 1) to trade in the car and 2) get another tesla losing so much money especially knowing how terrible SC has been to you. Is having a Tesla so important for you or peace of mind and not going broke?

Reactions: Sherlo
Buying another Tesla just sounds like Groundhog Day. Most “small” issues are persistent with Model 3. But assuming you’re currently driving a late 2018 build, you might be better off with a 2020 build.

That said, most of your issues actually sound like non-issues (except the bad connectivity which sounds like the only real issue and possibly also linked to the reboots). And the skin thing is unfortunate but an idiotic reason to hand in a car. White seats are identical to the black seats in terms of breathability.

I think it’s two bad decisions 1) to trade in the car and 2) get another tesla losing so much money especially knowing how terrible SC has been to you. Is having a Tesla so important for you or peace of mind and not going broke?
I think I might have been hit with something akin to FOMO. Interacting with other people who got TM3s with a few minor issues makes the issues I face, like standing outside with a hair blower to heat my door handles because I can't wake the car remotely (and thereby start the defrost program), while they just start the defrost, have a cup of coffee and go to work.
Makes me both jealous and feel like an idiot out in the snow.

The skin issue is quite severe, though. If I go for a longer trip, say a couple of hours, without blankets covering the car seat then I get large sores that leave bloodstain inside my shirt. The fact that I'm not getting that when I drive my colleague's car means there's a difference, but I never should have said it was because of the breathing properties of the materials. Neither of us have treated the seats with anything, the only apparent difference is that I have black seats while he has white.

It is a stupid amount of money, and I'm very torn in this decision. It's basically $8k to get piece of mind, heated car in Norwegian winters and not having to cover my interior with blankets. I am able to justify that price for myself. I think my expectations were that people would react the same "you don't cover a $60k car in blankets" "a Tesla which cannot be controlled from the app is preposterous".
When I'm met with "you're an idioting for not expecting everything to be awful" it doesn't really bring out the best in me :)

I think I might have been hit with something akin to FOMO. Interacting with other people who got TM3s with a few minor issues makes the issues I face, like standing outside with a hair blower to heat my door handles because I can't wake the car remotely (and thereby start the defrost program), while they just start the defrost, have a cup of coffee and go to work.

The skin issue is quite severe, though. If I go for a longer trip, say a couple of hours, without blankets covering the car seat then I get large sores that leave bloodstain inside my shirt. The fact that I'm not getting that when I drive my colleague's car means there's a difference, but I never should have said it was because of the breathing properties of the materials. Neither of us have treated the seats with anything, the only apparent difference is that I have black seats while he has white.

It is a stupid amount of money, and I'm very torn in this decision. It's basically $8k to get piece of mind, heated car in Norwegian winters and not having to cover my interior with blankets. I am able to justify that price for myself. I think my expectations were that people would react the same "you don't cover a $60k car in blankets" "a Tesla which cannot be controlled from the app is preposterous".
When I'm met with "you're an idioting for not expecting everything to be awful" it doesn't really bring out the best in me :)

I approve of you getting a new one.

• Funny
Reactions: qdeathstar
If you luv the Tesla brand/Model 3/M3P+/- and you can afford to take the financial hit, trade in the car. Who are we to judge your $ situation. That's what $ is for, provide you with happiness where possible.

Did you have the same clothes and sit in the car for the same amount of time? Otherwise I would expect that you get the same problem again. I suggest you see a doctor about your sores, that would probably be more helpful than ordering a car with another interior color.

Did you have the same clothes and sit in the car for the same amount of time? Otherwise I would expect that you get the same problem again. I suggest you see a doctor about your sores, that would probably be more helpful than ordering a car with another interior color.
Happens if I just wear a t-shirt, so yes. I even pulled up the shirt for a while to make sure. If I do that in my car you will find dead skin stuck to the seat afterwards.

Happens if I just wear a t-shirt, so yes. I even pulled up the shirt for a while to make sure. If I do that in my car you will find dead skin stuck to the seat afterwards.

Normal polyurethane seat fabric can just be cleaned with soap/water. There's no mention above, but I assume you've tried things like dish soap mixture or some of the fabric protectants to limit whatever is ailing you with seat contact.

Normal polyurethane seat fabric can just be cleaned with soap/water. There's no mention above, but I assume you've tried things like dish soap mixture or some of the fabric protectants to limit whatever is ailing you with seat contact.

The first thing I thought was "what has that seat been cleaned with that he is reacting to?"

The first thing I thought was "what has that seat been cleaned with that he is reacting to?"
So your thoughts are that this has something to do with my specific seats? I've tried cleaning them with mild soap and water, same solution I've used in my other cars. And yes, the issue presented itself before I washed the seats, so it's not caused by a reaction with the soap.

I bought FSD based on what the salesman told me, and it turns out to be not true.
Use anywhere? No, only use on highways.
Speed limit detection? No.
Navigate through roundabouts? No.
Smooth experience? No, panic breaking a lot of the time, especially with overhead passes.
Extremely good autopark? Let's not get started with this.
Navigate on autopilot is amazing? No, navigate on autopilot insists on changing lanes up to 59km away from the off-ramp.

Yeah, this is one of my pet peeves. I have turned off NoA to avoid the near constant nags that are sometimes presented. The other day I counted 12 nags the car gave me for no apparent reason at a particular point in the road. Clearly the data base is messed up, but how to report the problems? There is no way.

I also see the car suddenly slow or brake and that's not always an overpass. Again there seem to be mapping features that make the car slow it's speed. Sometimes the car drops the cruise speed, other times it's just the car slowing and I have to hit the throttle. What is the point of a cruise control if it arbitrarily drops the speed for no good reason?

I can use the auto pilot on roads other than highways. That has worked for a year or more.

Status
Not open for further replies.