Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

22 Inch Onyx Wheels - All Weather

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I ordered my Model X 10 days ago and am awaiting the delivery. I read and it was confirmed through Tesla in Northern NJ that the 22 Inch Onyx Wheels only come with summer tires.

I told them that for me living in the Northeast it doesn't make sense and I prefer All Weather Tires as I had on my SUV the last 12 years. Currently have a RR with 22 inch All Weather.

What have you guys done? Is it possible to buy all weather tires and have them put them RIMs on them? any suggestions are much appreciated!

Thank you

Unless they changed recently, your X will come with All-Season tires. My 2019 X with 22in wheels came with these

Scorpion™ Zero Asimmetrico - Car tyres | Pirelli

That said, I am still going to get a set of 20in wheels with dedicated winter tires. With the weather and the pot holes we get here in NJ, I want the added protection.

And yes, you can get Pirelli winter 22in tires and put them on the wheels if you want.

Last edited:
Reactions: davezforce
Unless they changed recently, your X will come with All-Season tires. My 2019 X with 22in wheels came with these

Scorpion™ Zero Asimmetrico - Car tyres | Pirelli

That said, I am still going to get a set of 20in wheels with dedicated winter tires. With the weather and the pot holes we get here in NJ, I want the added protection.

And yes, you can get Pirelli winter 22in tires and put them on the wheels if you want.

That is exactly what my referral wheels are. But I did click on the link to Pirelli you included. The very first feature they mention in their description is "The attractive tread pattern" Boy, I would sure hate to be caught driving a a tire with ugly tread! o_O

• Funny
Reactions: jimbo69ny
The 22" Pirelli's that come with the wheel are technically all season tires, but they're junk in the snow. The Goodyear tires that come with the 22" wheels are summer tires, and shouldn't come with a car delivered to NJ unless it was shipped from elsewhere.

That being said, grab a set of Conti DWS06 in the same size, they can be mounted to the OEM 22 wheels and will offer more confident handling in wet and snow. They'll also be slightly more comfortable, but you'll lose a little bit of handling at the limit. Tesla won't purchase and mount these for you as they're not OEM, but other tire shops will.

I would suspect an all weather tire would be marginally better in the snow than a summer tire. Generally something that is designed for all environments excels at none of them. If they did.. they would not make various types of tires. =) NJ gets snow but I don't necessarily have to drive in it, or at least not often. So it makes no sense to get a snow tire. If I lived in a location that received much more snow and/or had to drive in it more often, I would look at getting snow tires.

I would suspect an all weather tire would be marginally better in the snow than a summer tire. Generally something that is designed for all environments excels at none of them. If they did.. they would not make various types of tires. =) NJ gets snow but I don't necessarily have to drive in it, or at least not often. So it makes no sense to get a snow tire. If I lived in a location that received much more snow and/or had to drive in it more often, I would look at getting snow tires.

You're partially right. They're even starting to distinguish between all season and all weather tires now.

The OEM Pirelli's on the 22's are technically still an "All Season" tire, but it's geared towards performance. Compared to a purely summer tire, there is still some flexibility and grip below 50 degrees and would do perform marginally in the snow. A true performance summer tire would increase stopping distances significantly compared to this tire in the snow. Compared to an All Season tire like the DWS06, which is geared for primarily geared towards dry and rain, snow, then performance; it will do significantly better than the Pirelli's in the snow. Then again comparing it to a Nokia WRG3 All Weather tired which is geared towards snow first, both will fall short. But the Nokian will be noticeably worse in handling, noise, and wet handling in comparison. So it is a trade off, but different tires choose to make different trade offs.

Tirerack does some testing on this. While on paper and in direct tests don't necessarily show a huge difference, fast forward to 2:50 in and you'll see the difference. Summer tires hit the wall. All Seasons lose control, but manage to stop before an accident. Winters provided the needed traction.

I personally swap snows and summers, but also acknowledge many do not. For those that do not and need to drive in snow, I don't hesitate to recommend the DWS06 over the Pirelli's; but they won't replace a proper snow. Which of course then we can get into whether you want a deep snow tire, a highway slush tire, or an ice tire...