Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

22 inch wheels lowered ?'s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have many questions regarding 22" wheels and I hope you guys will be able to take some time and help me out.
I have searched for days trying to find the correct answer for 22 inch wheels.

These questions are primarily for those who have 22" wheels WITH air suspension AND lowered with either links or the UP lowering kit. Not sure if the wheel base has changed in recent years, but if it has, these questions are for late 2017-2018 model s.

My car will be only driven as a daily driver (commuter) and never on track or doing races of any kind.

1. What size/brand tires are you using?
2. Are you rubbing? If so, where?
3. When purchasing the wheels new, I have the option to choose whatever size I want. Looks like most did 9 front and 10.5 in rear. Would doing 8.5 and 10 rear eliminate the rubbing?
4. If you had the option to go 21", would you have or is the rubbing not so bad where having 22" wheels outweighs the bad?

I'm trying to go as aggressive and low as I can without rubbing. I'm just not sure if that goal is achievable. I talked with someone at unplugged performance and he stated that the cars they have done in 22" all have rubbed. Just trying to find out if someone found out a solution since then.

Thanks for your time and hopefully this thread will help others in the future.

You've probably heard it before but I'll say it again just in case. Getting the 21" wheels on my MS was the only mistake I made when buying the car. It cost me a lot of wasted time and money. I went to 20" and never went back.

IMO the car is just too heavy for 21" wheels. I definitely think it is too heavy for 22" wheels. When I bought it I thought I'd be fine in Atlanta compared to places that get snow and have lots of potholes. But what I didn't realize that pretty much any pothole will take out a tire. In fact I hit one pothole at <30mph that took out 2 tires and I never even saw it until it was too late (at dark on an unlit road in a hard turn).

Even if your roads are really good and you drive really carefully doesn't everybody eventually hit a pothole? If not, what about autopilot? It definitely doesn't avoid potholes. In fact I just hit a pothole this morning on autopilot that would definitely have taken out a tire if had my 21" wheels.

I've got 21" in the 8.5 and 10.5 with the UP brackets, i'm fine in the rear but rub on the inner wells in the front at full tilt. The rubbing seems to be because the inner wells are that synthetic, fabric-y type stuff and it isn't held in place well and they sag and deform. I've heard Tesla will attach it so that it doesn't sag or deform and helps, but mine hasn't been bad enough to worry about thus far. 8" might help but not sure, I only ever have the rubbing when fully turning and backing out of a parking spot. 22" would probably have similar but not worse problems as the 21 as I would assume the overall diameter would remain the same using lower profile tires on a 22" setup.

knock, knock, knock I've run large rims and low profile tires my whole life and never blown out a tire and that includes 2 model S's over the last 3 years. I DO swap for 20" in the winter months here in Indiana, so there is that caveat. Some just have bad luck, and/or possibly just not the experience of driving on low profile tires. Guess it's just how the luck goes, you are definitely at higher risk with larger rims and heavy weight, but IMO it's worth it for the look!

Curious what wheel offset you guys with big wheels are running. When I put wheels on other cars, I always like to fill up as much space on the inside as possible where the wheel/tire is almost fouling on the suspension. This also helps run the widest and tallest wheel possible without rubbing on the outer fender.

@BigCity , is there a certain spot up front where you are rubbing? For instance, are you only rubbing when making a full left turn or right left turn or is it both ways? I've read others were rubbing when only in reverse full turn, but i find it strange how they could only rub in reverse.

@BigCity , is there a certain spot up front where you are rubbing? For instance, are you only rubbing when making a full left turn or right left turn or is it both ways? I've read others were rubbing when only in reverse full turn, but i find it strange how they could only rub in reverse.

Actually yes I only hear the rubbing when in reverse at or near full tilt on the steering wheel. Based on what I've been able to tell the edge of the tire barely touches the inner well in reverse which is pulling up on the inner well. I think you get more movement or play in the well liner in that direction and it pulls the well into the tire more in that directlion. When your moving forward I think the direction of the tire and the play in the inner well don't allow for it to pull away and touch the tire more......if that makes any sense at all. A guy I know had 22's with similar problem his rubbing was a little more pronounced, his you could see it wearing through the well in the front, bottom, outer section of the well. That well is like a fiberous material so it kind of looks like shredded fiberglass in one small area near the bottom. If I think of it I'll see if mine has any marks that show on the inner well when rubbing. Basically it comes down to the well not being a rigid hard plastic piece, it's more of a semi rigid fiberous material that allows for movement of the well and they appear to only be attached by the push pins.

@BigCity Do you have air suspension? I currently have the stock 19" rims, I'll be lowering my MS using the UP lowering kit and am thinking about getting 22's.

Yes, air suspension with the UP lowering kit is what I currently have, running 21s fine, still not sure on the 22s will be awhile before I get them I kind of put the order on hold until I can sort out if there is an issue. Seems the P100D may have a slightly different fitment which may be why I ran into trouble with a bigger tire on my 21s since I had a P85D prior to the P100D.

On 21's with the UP kit on low you "can" drive it but I wouldn't be doing it at speed or in suspect road conditions. I tried it for a few days early on, and I bottom out once at highway speed on a big bump where the road transitioned between concreate and asphalt and my upper control arms (or other suspension part) in the rear would bottom out and hit the air struts. Other than that I really didn't have any issues on low, other than speed bumps and the like, so just watch for those areas and raise the suspension prior to entering or going over speed bumps.

• Informative
Reactions: GatorGuy
I am running Model X 22" on my model S and i have it lowered 4cm over the hole skale.... I run 245/30 22 in the front am 285/25 22 in the rear.... I have no truble with robbin in eny settings.

Tront rim is 9x22 and tje rear is 10x22

Attachments

• 20170709_113114100_iOS (1).jpg
    20170709_113114100_iOS (1).jpg
    330 KB · Views: 1,146
  • 20170709_113128808_iOS (1).jpg
    20170709_113128808_iOS (1).jpg
    322.8 KB · Views: 941
  • 20170709_113106830_iOS (1).jpg
    20170709_113106830_iOS (1).jpg
    399.1 KB · Views: 1,059
Thanks for the added reference, didn't even realize the X rims would fit on a S! The X rims are not quite as wide though, my planned setup is 9" in the front and 10.5" in the rear so the comparison doesn't help in that regard. But good useful info for others that may want to consider the X rims!

I am running Model X 22" on my model S and i have it lowered 4cm over the hole skale.... I run 245/30 22 in the front am 285/25 22 in the rear.... I have no truble with robbin in eny settings.

Tront rim is 9x22 and tje rear is 10x22

Before I got an insane deal on the 21s...I was considering these
I will admit that the ride quality on 21s is harsher compared to the stock 19s but I haven't had any issues, granted I seldom leave suburban area where roads are in good condition. I can imagine the 22s would have a harsher ride...but man they look good.

Yeah, I had 21s then got a wild hair one day and decided I wanted to try some 22s with a bright color to do something totally different than I've ever done before lol. Guess we'll see how it goes, may be living in the S considering I will have 4 sets of rims for the S lol.