Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

22 inch wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey All--

I'm about to replace my 19 inch wheels with 22s, black matte colored rims with silver lining--- Al and Ed's Autosound West Hollywood seems like the most experienced; Will my drive be considerable different? I'll post pics soon; if any one has any other thoughts on this, let me know...

NV

the other good thing about the shop is the incredible customer service--- this guy is gonna pick my car up from work 40 miles away, drop it off at the end of the day--- AND-- if I don't like the wheels, he will put the stock wheels back on, no questions asked. That's pretty sick. I'll post pics after they go on.

One thing I also noticed is that the load range of 255/30/22 tires is only 95. Stock tires are 96. If you ever plan on loading the car up with a lot of people, then I'd be a little worried. The difference between load range 95 and 96 is only 44 pounds, but note that big chain tire shops (costco, discount tire, etc) wont mount tires if they are less than the stock load range.

I was planning on moving up from my 19 inch stock tires to 21--- I saw the pictures with the 22s, and decided i may as well go this route. As Eli said-- if I don't like them, he'll gladly replace the factory tires--- he realizes how tight a community this is, and he's looking to get more of us in his store, so it behooves him to give good customer service; He's pretty excited about putting the wheels on my car, because I've got the pearl white tesla, and he hasn't done one of these colors before. I don't quite understand tdiggity's post about load range--- I may have 5 people in the car from time to time-- is that a problem? we'll give this a go--- if it doesn't work, you all will hear from me again... Dadelus-- you still driving in the 22s?

I don't quite understand tdiggity's post about load range--- I may have 5 people in the car from time to time-- is that a problem? we'll give this a go--- if it doesn't work, you all will hear from me again... Dadelus-- you still driving in the 22s?

It's how much weight a tire can have. Tire Tech Information - How to Read Speed Rating, Load Index & Service Descriptions the correct term is load index (but tire rack shows it as load range on the tire selector).

This is costco's tire disclaimer (Costco.com - Shop for Tires
)
Load Carrying Capacity

Tires will only be installed if the load carrying capacity is the same or higher than the load carrying capacity that the vehicle manufacturer equipped the vehicle with from the factory.

Safety first. Not sure what tolerances tesla put into selecting the 96 load index.

Hey All--

I'm about to replace my 19 inch wheels with 22s, black matte colored rims with silver lining--- Al and Ed's Autosound West Hollywood seems like the most experienced; Will my drive be considerable different? I'll post pics soon; if any one has any other thoughts on this, let me know...

NV

Can't wait to see pics, the balck matte will look amazing - and yes... Al and Ed's Autosound West Hollywood is a great choice

aren't the 21's big enough? lol

apparently not. I don't know why you would put 22's on here. The treadwear has got to be worse than 21s. Right now it looks as if the treadwear seems to be lasting between 7000-8000 miles before needing replacement (per owners in other threads). So 22s? No thanks. If you don't mind spending a ~$1200-$1600 every 7000 miles and you really like the look, then very cool for you. I'd also be worried about the tires rubbing against the sidewall though.

One thing I also noticed is that the load range of 255/30/22 tires is only 95. Stock tires are 96. If you ever plan on loading the car up with a lot of people, then I'd be a little worried. The difference between load range 95 and 96 is only 44 pounds, but note that big chain tire shops (costco, discount tire, etc) wont mount tires if they are less than the stock load range.

That's 44 lbs. per tire, which translates into a gross weight difference across all 4 tires of 176 lbs.

IMG_0080.JPG
well-- here they are. 22 inches; drive is a bit harsher for sure--- but performance still good; i'll keep you all posted.

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_0087.JPG
this is in my driveway near dusk....

aren't the 21's big enough? lol

Ok, the "size does matter" philosophy is definitely at work here. Strange concept for many, especially European, eyes.
Anyway, on sunday I saw a parked Audi Q7 with 20 inch wheels, which already look ridiculously large, bordering on enormous. I then thought about the 21 inch Model S Perf wheels and tried to imagine having to change these every autumn/spring when already my current 18 inch BMW wheels seem as heavy and cumbersome as hell. Even the standard 19 inch Model S wheels seem excessive from that viewpoint.
So it got me wondering, what would be the smallest size you could put on the Model S - is it even possible to put on say 17 or 18 inch wheels (which by European standards is what we consider large!)?

Really? Can you point me toward those other threads? I'm at 16,000 miles and I have plenty of tread left on my factory 21"ers. And I haven't been exactly going easy on them.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/13825-Negative-Camber-in-the-Rear-and-Expensive-Tires post #2, post #4, post #26, post #27, post #52

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/14682-All-regular-85kwh-owners-help-required post #23 (same user in above thread though, so not unique in this thread)