Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

22 Model S, large scratch upon delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my car was delivered with this fairly large scratch on the top near the large panoramic glass and my local service center says the body shop can fix this.

They said they will sand down 8+inches on either end of the scratch and will repaint that area, not the whole affected panel. My question is, will the area they sand down and paint over be visible in certain lighting conditions, or will I be able to see the part where they sanded and tries to blend in with the factory paint. Will the paint match the standard factory paint to the point it is unnoticeable?

They said the scratch is too deep for a light polish and well it seems to be true...

What would you guys do? Any help or opinions are appreciated!
IMG_0225.JPEG

yes this is what I was told. They will be sanding and blending the paint.

I was just afraid that maybe you can see the spot where they sanded and began to blend.

it is black paint
No, I was saying to try wet sand and polish it back first. Sometimes you don’t know how deep until you try if it’s on the edge. Clear coat is pretty thick and turns white when scratched.

They might be making the right call though. But it would be nice to avoid paint when you can.

So my car was delivered with this fairly large scratch on the top near the large panoramic glass and my local service center says the body shop can fix this.

They said they will sand down 8+inches on either end of the scratch and will repaint that area, not the whole affected panel. My question is, will the area they sand down and paint over be visible in certain lighting conditions, or will I be able to see the part where they sanded and tries to blend in with the factory paint. Will the paint match the standard factory paint to the point it is unnoticeable?

They said the scratch is too deep for a light polish and well it seems to be true...

What would you guys do? Any help or opinions are appreciated!
View attachment 836413
Ask for lots of free supercharging and make them fix it and give a loaner

No, I was saying to try wet sand and polish it back first. Sometimes you don’t know how deep until you try if it’s on the edge. Clear coat is pretty thick and turns white when scratched.

They might be making the right call though. But it would be nice to avoid paint when you can.
It seems pretty deep. You can feel the scratch when you go over it with your nails. I do want to avoid painting at all costs, but service told me they are certain it will be imperceptible. idk, though. Service never thinks of these decisions as if it were their own car.

Why the hell would anyone accept a damaged new vehicle at any price. They have no issue sticking you with the defects and no incentive to fix them to your liking after you pay them. Yes, Tesla is that shady. You're left hoping, by their good graces, that they will fix their shoddy workmanship.

Allow them to fix it. I had to fix a door ding once on one of my older cars and the body shop did a great job blending, but did a poor job polishing and prepping the newly painted area. I took it to my personal detailer who made it look 10x better. Tell Tesla that if they do a crap job polishing and detailing the painted area, ask for reimbursement to take it to your own detailer.

• Informative
Reactions: r3nd3r
Allow them to fix it. I had to fix a door ding once on one of my older cars and the body shop did a great job blending, but did a poor job polishing and prepping the newly painted area. I took it to my personal detailer who made it look 10x better. Tell Tesla that if they do a crap job polishing and detailing the painted area, ask for reimbursement to take it to your own detailer.

My 2022 was delivered with a couple of small door dings, and Tesla sent me a check after I had a PDR guy fix them and I'd paid (took him minutes - these PDR people are wizards).

• Informative
Reactions: r3nd3r
Why the hell would anyone accept a damaged new vehicle at any price. They have no issue sticking you with the defects and no incentive to fix them to your liking after you pay them. Yes, Tesla is that shady. You're left hoping, by their good graces, that they will fix their shoddy workmanship.
because i already rejected delivery once and if you reject again they completely cancel your order.
do i want to wait another 8 months for a car + a 10k more expensive order all over a scratch? i dont think so.

i will look into this if they do a crappy job. i will be super picky about it. at least i could get something out of it if i am not satisfied. i just hope not to go through that process and just leave with a properly painted vehicle. thank you for your input!

i will look into this if they do a crappy job. i will be super picky about it. at least i could get something out of it if i am not satisfied. i just hope not to go through that process and just leave with a properly painted vehicle. thank you for your input!
If they do a decent job, which is likely, you won’t be able to tell they did it. I wouldn’t worry!

because i already rejected delivery once and if you reject again they completely cancel your order.
do i want to wait another 8 months for a car + a 10k more expensive order all over a scratch? i dont think so.

This is exactly my point about Tesla, thanks for making it for me. If you don't do what we say we will cancel your order and keep you deposit fee. We will also make you pay more $$ if you want a non-defective car in the future. Total bullcrap business model and needs to be investigated by State's Attorney Generals. The other thing they love to do is low-ball you on your trade depending if the car you ordered has gone up in price since your order date. Once your car is ready for delivery...if you don't take it, they threaten to give your car to someone else and cancel your order...and keep your order fee.

Tesla will have serious problems moving forward in my opinion with this type of behavior. Delivering a product with egregious defects. They have entered the realm of other high end manufacturers and many of us will not settle moving forward.

They will basically beg you to accept the vehicle and tell you it will all be fixed. Then, in my case, you find out their body shop is 3 months out.

This is exactly my point about Tesla, thanks for making it for me. If you don't do what we say we will cancel your order and keep you deposit fee. We will also make you pay more $$ if you want a non-defective car in the future. Total bullcrap business model and needs to be investigated by State's Attorney Generals. The other thing they love to do is low-ball you on your trade depending if the car you ordered has gone up in price since your order date. Once your car is ready for delivery...if you don't take it, they threaten to give your car to someone else and cancel your order...and keep your order fee.
while i do agree the cars aren't always perfect, you can't single out Tesla. Look at McLaren build quality and you can make the same argument (it's pretty bad).

i'm here to support Tesla. i've been a long term shareholder and i want the company to succeed. yes, it's really frustrating to see these defects, but TSLA made me a fortune so I can't complain too much.

As for Tesla low-balling your trade-in... simply don't accept it and sell it privately. That is what i did with my 21' Model S refresh.