Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

22 Model Y performance making a weird sound. Dealership won't repair

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Yall,

I just got my 22 MYP a few months ago, and I've noticed a brushing/rubbing sound thats very noticeable around 5-30mpg. I uploaded this video when I booked the service and additionally I took the Tesla Mechanic for a drive in the car when I arrived at the service center so he could hear it and he confirmed its not normal. But after a day of the car being at the Tesla Service center they are saying its 'normal characteristics of the vehicle". Does anyone else have this noise when driving?

Is it detrimental to the vehicle value?
If you were to trade the car in would it reduce its value or prevent it being sold?
If yes - then it should be fixed .

Needs fixed then.
Email the service centre informing them you intend to take it for an independent inspection.

See what they say!

If they don’t jump to fix it before the inspection I would be surprised.

But if not get it checked at Halfords or quick fit or anywhere you like.

Even if they can’t find the fault get them to say the the fault was unidentifiable but there on paper or via email.

This check should be free.

Email to Tesla again .
Then wait a week.
Then if no joy legal action is required.

The key is having everything documented via email .

I work with car warranty companies ect.

Last edited:
Hi Yall,

I just got my 22 MYP a few months ago, and I've noticed a brushing/rubbing sound thats very noticeable around 5-30mpg. I uploaded this video when I booked the service and additionally I took the Tesla Mechanic for a drive in the car when I arrived at the service center so he could hear it and he confirmed its not normal. But after a day of the car being at the Tesla Service center they are saying its 'normal characteristics of the vehicle". Does anyone else have this noise when driving?

Ok lotta wind but I hear the cyclical noise. Might be a manufactures tire sticker on the inner wheel. Others reported same sound & noticed a sticker when wheels were removed. I had the same noise and it diminished greatly around 5,000 miles. The sticker gets worn away. Others have taken off the wheels and see the sticker and remove it. I have yet to pull my tires off.

Sure sounds like a brake rotor dragging. It's not normal! The way Tesla service works unfortunately is you have to keep taking it back. Eventually it will go to a tech who can spend more time on it.

This could be other things too like axle or wheel bearing. It's obviously a moving part. Should be easier to diagnose than a knock or rattle I would think.

Sure sounds like a brake rotor dragging. It's not normal! The way Tesla service works unfortunately is you have to keep taking it back. Eventually it will go to a tech who can spend more time on it.

This could be other things too like axle or wheel bearing. It's obviously a moving part. Should be easier to diagnose than a knock or rattle I would think.
They said they pulled the tires and saw nothing irregular. They claim its brake drag but it will go away after few thousand miles. I guess I'll just wait to see if it clears up.

Needs fixed then.
Email the service centre informing them you intend to take it for an independent inspection.

See what they say!

If they don’t jump to fix it before the inspection I would be surprised.

But if not get it checked at Halfords or quick fit or anywhere you like.

Even if they can’t find the fault get them to say the the fault was unidentifiable but there on paper or via email.

This check should be free.

Email to Tesla again .
Then wait a week.
Then if no joy legal action is required.

The key is having everything documented via email .

I work with car warranty companies ect.
appreciate the help.

Reactions: Zedbox
My ‘22 MYP has the same exact noise. Did they ever figure out the issue?

I have 16k miles on mine and I’m sure I’ve had this noise for a few thousand miles. Service center thought it was the rear axle nut but that didn’t fix the noise (not sure why they thought this was it since it was coming from the front). I still need to schedule another appointment to bring it back.

My ‘22 MYP has the same exact noise. Did they ever figure out the issue?

I have 16k miles on mine and I’m sure I’ve had this noise for a few thousand miles. Service center thought it was the rear axle nut but that didn’t fix the noise (not sure why they thought this was it since it was coming from the front). I still need to schedule another appointment to bring it back.
Do you have a floor jack that can lift one corner up?

If you can lift up one front corner (leaving the wheel on the other side on the ground), you should be able to spin it. Then, if you hear the noise, it'll be one of two things. If the noise occurs once every revolution of the tire, it's something to do with that wheel (anything from the wheel all the way to to the differential). It could be a CV axle (lacking grease?). If it occurs half as often (two revolutions per noise), then it could be the motor or gears going to the diff.

Get your phone and do a video recording while moving it along the parts to see where the noise is the loudest, if the noise does occur. Might be able to narrow down the issue.

If you hear no noise after lifting one corner, check the opposite corner. If any noise shows up now, but not before, it should match the wheel spin.

In fact, even if you hear noise "matching" a corner after lifting only one side, it might be best to check the other side anyway... who knows, could be the diff itself.

A flaw in this test is if there needs to be a load on the corner, in other words, the suspension needs compression or the wheel/axle needs to be in the relative position of where it would be when fully on the ground. A way around this would be with a second floor jack pushing up on the suspension parts behind the wheel, leaving the wheel to spin. Or just using the first jack by itself to lift at that suspension point. This could cause damage though, so I wouldn't recommend it.

This noise is most likely the barcode label on the bead of the tire contacting the wheel and squeaking. (You can't see this label unless the tire is off) Mine does it too. I had a Volvo with stiff Michelin low-profile tires that also did it. Same noise between both cars.

Edit: You can see the barcode I'm talking about in my forum profile pic, at the bottom of the tire's bead.

There is no fix, unless you want to pay to have all 4 tires removed, the barcode label ground off, then remounted. It will eventually go away, though.

Last edited:
Bumping this because I noticed my 23 MYP seems to have developed this SAME noise, but it is only audible at low speeds. The same exact 'brushing' noise. I visually and hand-checked each tire/wheel, and I found nothing. It does sound like something is stuck to one of the tires that is causing this as it is cyclical in nature. I'm at 1700 miles now, so we'll see if it goes away when I hit 3k-ish. Car is fine otherwise, and no alerts in the Service menu.

Edit: My car came with the Michelin PS AS 4 tires.

Hi Yall,

I just got my 22 MYP a few months ago, and I've noticed a brushing/rubbing sound thats very noticeable around 5-30mpg.
I've have had this sound (and it sounds like several others as well). Check this thread out:

For me it cleared up by removing/reinstalling the lug nut caps. Easy to confirm as you can just pop them all off and go for a drive.

The other solution mentioned in the thread is the barcode/sticker solution (mentioned in this thread as well) which is also relatively easy to fix.