Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

22 MY LR7 Noise from Driver Side at 40mph - Help Identifying Source?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had a 22 MY LR7 for under 2 months and it's already been into service 3 times for this issue, but it has not been resolved.

Issue: Whistling/rattling/squeaking noise that sporadically appears around 40mph

Additional context - Tesla has made three attempts to resolve this, but after picking it up tonight and having it present, I'm asking around for help since it's still clearly there.
  • Service Visit 1 - did a ride along with a tech and recreated the sound, but was told it was "normal" and it was coming from deceleration. Issue persisted after this visit as found in this video at about 5 seconds in -
  • Service Visit 2 - did another ride along a tech, and again it was confirmed to be heard by the tech, but couldn't quite pinpoint it. The driver side mirror assembly and tweeter were replaced for what they believed would resolve it.
  • Service Visit 3 (technically still 2, since returned to service immediately at pickup) - did another ride along with the same tech and recreated the sound. Believed it might be the rotor from a lack of braking. After 24 hours, I was called and told it was from lack of using the brake (the vehicle has 1,600 miles on it), so they polished the rotor and enabled the option for using brake during limited regenerative braking is available in the UI. After picking up the vehicle, I again recreated the problem and recorded new video - also starts about 5 seconds in and again at 21.

It's not persistent, but I hear it over the radio and road noise. And there are several more videos I've attempted to record, but it's not something I can reproduce 100% of the time.

Any ideas or suggestions? Also, this isn't my third EV and I've driven plenty of them, including Teslas and have never had something like this before.

I too have an annoying noise on mine coming from what sounds like front driver side. I put a GoPro in the frunk but can't hear it. I also can't pick it up on my GoPro inside the vehicle.

Mine is most prevalent when I'm going over multiple small bumps in a low. I checked all suspension components as did Tesla and nothing is loose. All visible bushings appear to be fine. I believe I have mine isolated to the upper control arm and strut assembly.

The normal culprits sway bar, links, tie rods, control arms, etc. Right now I'm more worried about the shudder/surging I'm having above 30 mph.

Good luck and curious to see how this turns out for you.

Upvote 0
I've got the EXACT same thing occurring in my 22 Model 3 LR. Picked it up in June and it suddenly started occurring a few months ago. Brought it in for service and after having it for 3 days they weren't able to replicate/fix the issue even though I hear it every day on my commute.

Please keep the thread updated with what you find out!

Upvote 0
I've got the EXACT same thing occurring in my 22 Model 3 LR. Picked it up in June and it suddenly started occurring a few months ago. Brought it in for service and after having it for 3 days they weren't able to replicate/fix the issue even though I hear it every day on my commute.

Please keep the thread updated with what you find out!

I’m wondering if it’s related to this little imperfection in the seal at the corner of the windshield, the hood, and the panel over the front driver side wheel. I noticed this out of place at delivery and the SA just popped it back in. However, there’s a significant gap compared to the passenger side, so maybe this could be contributing? Photos of both sides attached.

I’m grasping at straws here and wish I could get rid of this car. Had I believed the comments about how bad the build quality is, I would have never purchased it.

Attachments

• FC00B536-0AF2-4ABF-A67C-AF3F86E92A81.jpeg
    FC00B536-0AF2-4ABF-A67C-AF3F86E92A81.jpeg
    290.5 KB · Views: 95
  • C7233D35-DEAF-423D-B72D-9E49451482E8.jpeg
    C7233D35-DEAF-423D-B72D-9E49451482E8.jpeg
    395.5 KB · Views: 60
  • E22A1C4F-DFB0-405A-ADA8-EBFE03C9E7BA.jpeg
    E22A1C4F-DFB0-405A-ADA8-EBFE03C9E7BA.jpeg
    409.1 KB · Views: 62
  • E4E91077-38FC-4F77-91CE-2199A690B219.jpeg
    E4E91077-38FC-4F77-91CE-2199A690B219.jpeg
    461.5 KB · Views: 54
  • F85A7A62-FA46-41B1-9AFE-9766464D71B9.jpeg
    F85A7A62-FA46-41B1-9AFE-9766464D71B9.jpeg
    440.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 08340C7A-C9F1-42A0-BAF2-0639EE0926FA.jpeg
    08340C7A-C9F1-42A0-BAF2-0639EE0926FA.jpeg
    161.4 KB · Views: 55
Upvote 0
I’m wondering if it’s related to this little imperfection in the seal at the corner of the windshield, the hood, and the panel over the front driver side wheel. I noticed this out of place at delivery and the SA just popped it back in. However, there’s a significant gap compared to the passenger side, so maybe this could be contributing? Photos of both sides attached.

I’m grasping at straws here and wish I could get rid of this car. Had I believed the comments about how bad the build quality is, I would have never purchased it.
I've listened several times to your audio/video, and I don't hear anything. Maybe it's just me...

You're clearly unhappy with your car (there must be other issues...this one seems trivial). Why be miserable? Sell it...for a profit...and move on.

Upvote 0
I've listened several times to your audio/video, and I don't hear anything. Maybe it's just me...

You're clearly unhappy with your car (there must be other issues...this one seems trivial). Why be miserable? Sell it...for a profit...and move on.
Profit? The used car market has returned to normalcy. Even though I purchased it for ~14% less than the current retail price, I'd now have to take a ~20% loss to get rid of it today. If the 7-day return policy were still in place or if the resale market were still hot like it was 3 months ago, it would already be gone.

:) The issue may be trivial in that the noise is sporadic and clearly can't be easily identified by service, yet it happens every drive so it's become a persistent and annoying reminder of how poorly built these cars are. And it's required service 4 times in less than two months of ownership for other production quality issues - e.g. 20% of the miles I've put on the car to date is just to/from the service center.

Don't get me wrong, Tesla's technology is incredible and way ahead of the other EVs I have owned. I'll just have to get more utility out of this one to minimize my loss to replace it.

Upvote 0
Based on 45+ years of auto ownership, I wouldn't consider a sporadic noise (possibly/probably a simple window seal issue) as an indication of "how poorly built these cars are." EVERY SINGLE CAR I've owned has had quirks that annoyed me enough to require my own solution, or...I learned to live with it.
I agree that noises are my chief complaint win any car I have owned. Interior rattles? The worst. Exterior whistling, buzzing, also a pain.

My particular 2021 MYLR has ZERO unusual noises or interior rattles. Zero.

Ford, Audi, VW, Toyota, Nissan, Cadillac. EVERY ONE had something I found annoying. NONE were "poorly built."

YMMV...

Upvote 0
I actually have something similar that I can reproduce when going over bumps. Coming from the front right side. I informed the SA since the car is in there for other day of delivery issues but I doubt they will be able to pinpoint it. We tried pushing in and ensuring everything is secured, like the mirror and the screen. Not sure what's up but we'll see.

Upvote 0
I actually have something similar that I can reproduce when going over bumps. Coming from the front right side. I informed the SA since the car is in there for other day of delivery issues but I doubt they will be able to pinpoint it. We tried pushing in and ensuring everything is secured, like the mirror and the screen. Not sure what's up but we'll see.
Let us know the findings if there are any when you get it back!

Upvote 0
Thanks for linking the post! Have a feeling it'll be hard to get Tesla to replace the drive unit for this noise...
It’s been in service 3 times already in less than 2 months if ownership for this issue. Lemon law in my state is 4 repairs within 2 years, so if they don’t fix it or refuse, I’ll be pursing buy back. I really just want it fixed, but we will see and I’m glad I opted out of arbitration.

Last edited:
Upvote 0