Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

22 MYP Tires/wheels options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
I have 22 MYP which was delivered in June. I was hoping that it would have all season Michelin tires when I went to take my delivery , however it came with summer/performance tires. I just had to replace one of these tires due to flat tire (within 3months) and it cost $600.00, which to me is expensive. Now are approaching winter time (in Colorado) and I am worried about driving in snow with these tires. I wanted to check which options would be better for a long term for winter driving. Is it better to get 4 all season Michelin tires from Tesla service center? which costs less as compared to getting wheels+winter tires. Or is it better to spend more and go with smaller wheels (19inch ?) from Tsportsline + winter tires? this option would obvious cost more. I asked Tesla service guy if I can go with 19inchese wheel for my MYP, and he said it might not fit as the breaks are larger in performance models. But I saw some videos and people talking about 19inch wheels from tsportsline fit just fine without any problem.
Does anyone have any experience with going with 19nch wheels and tires package? what would be the best option for MYP for winter? Please suggest.

Thanks

Hi,
I have 22 MYP which was delivered in June. I was hoping that it would have all season Michelin tires when I went to take my delivery , however it came with summer/performance tires. I just had to replace one of these tires due to flat tire (within 3months) and it cost $600.00, which to me is expensive. Now are approaching winter time (in Colorado) and I am worried about driving in snow with these tires. I wanted to check which options would be better for a long term for winter driving. Is it better to get 4 all season Michelin tires from Tesla service center? which costs less as compared to getting wheels+winter tires. Or is it better to spend more and go with smaller wheels (19inch ?) from Tsportsline + winter tires? this option would obvious cost more. I asked Tesla service guy if I can go with 19inchese wheel for my MYP, and he said it might not fit as the breaks are larger in performance models. But I saw some videos and people talking about 19inch wheels from tsportsline fit just fine without any problem.
Does anyone have any experience with going with 19nch wheels and tires package? what would be the best option for MYP for winter? Please suggest.

Thanks
Dedicated snow tires are always the answer.

Just get two sets of wheels/tires if you have the means. T-sportline 19” packages are excellent. I had them on my MYP when I owned it.

Reactions: thisisdiddy
The summer performance tires are unsafe at lower temperatures as the rubber compound become rock hard when the temperature drops below 45F and you lose traction (even on dry roads.)

Winter tires and dedicated wheels are the best option. 19" wheels would work as would 18" wheels from TSportline (specifically designed to fit the Performance Model Y.)

The Tesla 19" Gemini wheels will fit although Tesla states that the 19" Gemini wheel is not compatible with the Performance Model Y due to the larger brake calipers.

Tire Rack and TSportline should be on your short list when shopping for winter tires and wheels.

Dedicated snow tires are always the answer.

Just get two sets of wheels/tires if you have the means. T-sportline 19” packages are excellent. I had them on my MYP when I owned it.
Thanks for your reply. Is it better to get tires and wheels from Tsportsline or get the tires from discount tires with warranty? What did you do it?

The summer performance tires are unsafe at lower temperatures as the rubber compound become rock hard when the temperature drops below 45F and you lose traction (even on dry roads.)

Winter tires and dedicated wheels are the best option. 19" wheels would work as would 18" wheels from TSportline (specifically designed to fit the Performance Model Y.)

The Tesla 19" Gemini wheels will fit although Tesla states that the 19" Gemini wheel is not compatible with the Performance Model Y due to the larger brake calipers.

Tire Rack and TSportline should be on your short list when shopping for winter tires and wheels.
Thank you for your reply. Looks like 19inches TS5 might be the best options for MYP. How do you guys normally switch wheels/tires? by your self at home or go to the third party shops such as discount tires?

My '21 MYP came with Pirelli P-Zeros, so I decided to get a set of 19" wheels with dedicated snow tires since I live in Minnesota. I was going to get a cheap set put together on Tirerack, but ended up going with a TSportline package (TST + Michelin X-Ice Snow) because they had a sale at the time. I'd be comfortable with a package from either place, but the TSportline wheels look better.

I swap them myself when the time comes to do so. Just need a low profile 3-ton floor jack and appropriate socket and torque wrench and it's a pretty simple job.

Thank you for your reply. Looks like 19inches TS5 might be the best options for MYP. How do you guys normally switch wheels/tires? by your self at home or go to the third party shops such as discount tires?
Tesla Mobile Service will not mount non-Tesla wheels on your Tesla vehicle. Take the vehicle to a local tire center or else you can swap the wheels yourself if you have the tools. I would take the wheels, tires to a tire shop or else purchase the winter tires, 19" wheels from Discount tires. In some areas Tire Rack offers mobile tire service.

My '21 MYP came with Pirelli P-Zeros, so I decided to get a set of 19" wheels with dedicated snow tires since I live in Minnesota. I was going to get a cheap set put together on Tirerack, but ended up going with a TSportline package (TST + Michelin X-Ice Snow) because they had a sale at the time. I'd be comfortable with a package from either place, but the TSportline wheels look better.

I swap them myself when the time comes to do so. Just need a low profile 3-ton floor jack and appropriate socket and torque wrench and it's a pretty simple job.
Hi Thanks again that was helpful. I really wanted to get the wheels+tires package from Tsportsline too but the cost is around $4K. What would be best alternative if I just want to change the tires as I am dont feel comfortable driving with summer performance tires during cold winter/snow? Would it be a good idea to just get Michelin Pilot sports all 4 seasons tires to replace my existing tires? I see that will save me more than 50% of cost.
Also , I saw one you tube video of someone who kept the 21inches performance wheels and got bigger Michelin tires so that it would have better wheel protection/wall. I think he went with 265/35/21 in front and 295/35/21 on the back.
Check this video out
any thoughts on this?

Reactions: Destiny1701
Tesla Mobile Service swapped my 21” OEMs for my TSportLine 18s. Charged me $74,
mL3A1y7.jpg

Topped off windshield fluid, and looked at a few post-delivery issues I’m thinking of having addressed
he even pulled the FRUNK tub as I dropped a bit driver by mistake which gave me a change to look around.
kOrK3LV.jpg

Well worth the $74 IMHO

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
Hi Thanks again that was helpful. I really wanted to get the wheels+tires package from Tsportsline too but the cost is around $4K. What would be best alternative if I just want to change the tires as I am dont feel comfortable driving with summer performance tires during cold winter/snow? Would it be a good idea to just get Michelin Pilot sports all 4 seasons tires to replace my existing tires? I see that will save me more than 50% of cost.
Also , I saw one you tube video of someone who kept the 21inches performance wheels and got bigger Michelin tires so that it would have better wheel protection/wall. I think he went with 265/35/21 in front and 295/35/21 on the back.
Check this video out
any thoughts on this?
Brilliant. Did the same on my MYP back in July however I received the Michelin AS tires. So I took the oem 275/35/21 rears and placed it onto the front rim and installed 295/35/21’s on the wider 10.5” rear rims. Couldn’t stand the stretched look and lack of protection. 100% accurate …the ride comfort improved immediately due to the extra .5” rubber around front and rear :)
594AD555-095C-4E7D-BA1B-226B385AAC70.jpeg
167F0FD9-B082-4237-A28B-F60199D2510E.jpeg
FE5D0F8F-EB9F-47E0-8B17-B4CC221EA599.jpeg
1695E87D-006A-4DE3-A3F2-AAA8E0CEBC4B.jpeg

Brilliant. Did the same on my MYP back in July however I received the Michelin AS tires. So I took the oem 275/35/21 rears and placed it onto the front rim and installed 295/35/21’s on the wider 10.5” rear rims. Couldn’t stand the stretched look and lack of protection. 100% accurate …the ride comfort improved immediately due to the extra .5” rubber around front and rear :)
View attachment 859908View attachment 859911View attachment 859912View attachment 859909
View attachment 859908View attachment 859911View attachment 859912View attachment 859909

Nice! Good to hear from someone who actually did it and have some experience. So you moved the ones from the rear wheels (275) to front right? Lucky you , that you got Michelin AS tires when you took a delivery. Did you notice any difference with the range? I know the guy on the video says that there is no issue with any clearance with bigger tires. Did you have same experience too? I hope this setup helps you when driving in winter/snow. For me, I need to get the 4 tires before it snows.

Check this video out
any thoughts on this?
I think the Michelin Pilot Sport All-Season 4's would probably be OK in the winter, but I'm not sure how much snow you get. If it's a lot, you might either want a dedicated winter wheel set or research All-Weather tires. I've seen a couple of videos about All-Weather tires but don't really know much about brands and models. They are supposed to be superior to All-Season tires for winter driving.

Nice! Good to hear from someone who actually did it and have some experience. So you moved the ones from the rear wheels (275) to front right? Lucky you , that you got Michelin AS tires when you took a delivery. Did you notice any difference with the range? I know the guy on the video says that there is no issue with any clearance with bigger tires. Did you have same experience too? I hope this setup helps you when driving in winter/snow. For me, I need to get the 4 tires before it snows.
Correct. Rears to front rims and had to only buy 2 x 295 tires. I kept the 255’s as spares in case of any emerg spares for front .

Range wise I’m not sure there is much diff to be honest. 🤷🏽‍♂️…hard to say. Depends on one’s driving style ?

Clearance wise…perfecto…no issues whatsoever.

I live in Toronto so we get harsh winters! I’m going to get a 19” aftermarket winter set 4 x 9.5” width rims with a 265 square set up anyway. The 21’s rims shall remain my spring summer and stay pristine…and tires will last longer :)

I also live in Colorado and sold the Uberturbines that came on my '22 MYP. I put TSportline 19" x 8.5" TSVs on it, wrapped in 255/45 R19 Michelin CrossClimate2 tires. I absolutely LOVE them and would never go back to the Uberturbines! The comfort and noise improvements were worth the hassle and expense.

I know some folks will say "those tires are not rated for a MYP!" and I would agree that technically, yes, the CC2s do not have a top speed rating sufficient for a MYP: the CC2s are rated for 149MPH and the car is capable of 155MPH. There is exactly zero chance I will ever go that fast! And besides, just in case hell freezes over I set the car speed limit to 130MPH so I can't even get close without a manual override. Which I won't use.

I love the tread pattern on the CC2s, it looks badass, and additionally I get sidewall protection with the 8.5" wheel and 255/45 profile:

bvCuhEw.jpeg

img_0216-jpg.851869

They look pretty great on the car, too!

CCI5LQV.jpg

Correct. Rears to front rims and had to only buy 2 x 295 tires. I kept the 255’s as spares in case of any emerg spares for front .

Range wise I’m not sure there is much diff to be honest. 🤷🏽‍♂️…hard to say. Depends on one’s driving style ?

I live in Toronto so we get harsh winters! I’m going to get a 19” aftermarket winter set 4 x 9.5” width rims with a 265 square set up anyway. The 21’s rims shall remain my spring summer and stay pristi

I live in Toronto so we get harsh winters! I’m going to get a 19” aftermarket winter set 4 x 9.5” width rims with a 265 square set up anyway. The 21’s rims shall remain my spring summer and stay pristine…and tires will last longer :)

That is awesome! also, did you experience any inaccurate speedometer with 21 inch (with bigger tires) since the overall diameter increases? I read somewhere someone had this issue.

Well yes my Speedo is reading slightly less than actual. Small insignificant difference is say given most of my driving is 70 and under.

What’s even more amazing is with the 285/295 setup, both front and rear have increased tire height by exactly the same proportion of .5”. So the cars inherent calibration/balance remains the same.

In the end, I’ll have a slightly less mileage than actually driven over years ha!

8C6D010E-F1D0-47B7-A5B9-255AFA00D825.jpeg

I also live in Colorado and sold the Uberturbines that came on my '22 MYP. I put TSportline 19" x 8.5" TSVs on it, wrapped in 255/45 R19 Michelin CrossClimate2 tires. I absolutely LOVE them and would never go back to the Uberturbines! The comfort and noise improvements were worth the hassle and expense.

I know some folks will say "those tires are not rated for a MYP!" and I would agree that technically, yes, the CC2s do not have a top speed rating sufficient for a MYP: the CC2s are rated for 149MPH and the car is capable of 155MPH. There is exactly zero chance I will ever go that fast! And besides, just in case hell freezes over I set the car speed limit to 130MPH so I can't even get close without a manual override. Which I won't use.

I love the tread pattern on the CC2s, it looks badass, and additionally I get sidewall protection with the 8.5" wheel and 255/45 profile:

bvCuhEw.jpeg

img_0216-jpg.851869

They look pretty great on the car, too!

CCI5LQV.jpg
Looks great! Where did you get the plain black center caps? I would like some to replace the caps with the logo that come with the TSportline wheels.