Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

22 MYP: Update broke my steering wheel telescoping?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last night I updated my car to the latest software that was available (2022.4.5.4).

When I got into the car today, I realized the steering felt really off, and the wheel was too far away and not comfortable.

I pulled over to adjust the settings and realized the telescoping no longer works. It sounds like a solenoid is clicking when I make adjustments, but no movement.

I also tried to switch driver profiles to my wife’s and still no movement.

The up and down works, but in and out does not.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any reason for it? Any way to fix it? I have scheduled a mobile tech but that’s for next week. I tried to restart the car etc but no luck.

Last edited:
Wow that’s exactly what happened to my car today. I was adjusting the steering wheel then all of the sudden to push back out (towards me) I hear a click and doesn’t move. Up and down work just find. Also I know the buttons work because it forwards or back tracks music.

I did an update days ago but idk. I scheduled a mobile appointment. Hopefully it’s something simple. If you find a solution please let me know.

Btw I did try reset the car with no success. I tried powering off and on the car no success. I looked for loose cables behind the drivers seat and all looked good. Idk. Ugh!

Wow that’s exactly what happened to my car today. I was adjusting the steering wheel then all of the sudden to push back out (towards me) I hear a click and doesn’t move. Up and down work just find. Also I know the buttons work because it forwards or back tracks music.

I did an update days ago but idk. I scheduled a mobile appointment. Hopefully it’s something simple. If you find a solution please let me know.

Btw I did try reset the car with no success. I tried powering off and on the car no success. I looked for loose cables behind the drivers seat and all looked good. Idk. Ugh!
This literally just happened to me as well with my 21MY. My steering wheel buttons work but now my steering wheel won’t move at all (in, out, up or down) going to have to schedule a mobile service appointment. Closest service center to me is 90 minutes.

Sorry to hear your also having that issue. I booked a mobile appt. It’s in about two weeks. Hope it gets fixed. They had earlier appointment but I don’t feel like spending another day at service center or getting Uber credit or loaner (both are great). I just want to be without my car as little as possible. I’ll update this thread if it gets solved and what it was.

Happened to me yesterday with my 2022 MP3. Doesn't appear to be software update related as the last update I received was over a week ago. Tesla is set to replace telescoping motor under warranty. Just thought I'd mention it in case it's a trend.

So after one day and a bunch of hard resets to the car my steering column staring moving up and down again. Shortly after in and out movement came back as well. And shortly after that I received a call from Tesla service looking for more information (I had scheduled an appointment for it as soon as I saw it so working)

I explained to the gentleman that it began working again. He proceeded to tell me that the motors for the steering column will time out for a period of time after excessive use or if they get to hot. This was news to me. Told me to keep my appointment so they can look at the care just incase something is wrong with the motors.

Just wanted to share my experience so far with this issue.

Reactions: Billmister
Great to hear. I had heard that as well. I hoped that this would be the same for me. I gave it a try today right after your post and no success. Well I still have my appointment and we will see if it’s the motor. Happy hours is back up and running.

Happened to me yesterday with my 2022 MP3. Doesn't appear to be software update related as the last update I received was over a week ago. Tesla is set to replace telescoping motor under warranty. Just thought I'd mention it in case it's a trend.
Quick follow up. Service center found a small burr on the motor screw that telescopes the steering wheel. Cleaned it up and it works. In my case, it seems the issue was mechanical and not software related.