Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

22 Refresh X front drive unit replacement after 1 month?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey y'all! Got my refresh Model X delivered on the 24th of June. Drove it for a while and got an appointment for tint and PPF as quickly as I could on the 12th of July. Dropped off the car and scheduled to pick up the car on the 19th of July. Got a call on the 17th from the tint shop saying that the car has died. Being so new, they didn't want to accidently jump out so they called Tesla for help. Tesla sent the shop 2 different owners manuals and didn't show where the 12V was located according to them. They called and I scheduled a mobile service for a possible 12V battery change. They couldn't get one in a 2 day time frame so we decided to have it towed to the nearest service center.

They stated that the 12V battery need to be replaced. I said sure and they changed it out. Got a call a few hours later saying that the car still wasn't turning on. They had to run further diagnostics. Well after a LONG wait and "heavy diagnostics", they messaged me yesterday (7/28...10 whole days of diagnosing the "issue") saying that they've figured it out. They said they need to replace the whole front drive unit. (Still lost on exactly what happened and what in the front drive unit failed that caused the whole car to die? Or did whatever happen, cause the drive unit to fail?) The service center only states that they're replacing the front drive unit. Well at least I have my answer on what the issue was/is? Now the long grueling wait until they can get their hands on a front drive unit for the car to be replaced.

The car was in my possession for 18 days before dropping it off at the tint shop and the car has 1100 miles on it.

Does it make sense that the car needs a new drive unit this early into ownership? I'm trying to figure what exactly happened and Tesla isn't really telling me anything other than it needs to be replaced.

The tint shop thinks they don't know what the issue is but they've narrowed it down to the front drive unit so they're replacing it to have it examined at headquarters....

Sorry for the long post.

It makes sense to me that faulty parts fail early in the ownership. It's been the same for ICE cars and other types of objects we buy. There's probably no other explanation than "the drive unit had a defect from the start".
Thanks for your input. Not bashing Tesla too much because as you said, things like this happen with ICE cars as well and this car makes me all giddy inside when I drive it.

Just frustrated that it's taking so long to diagnose and replace. Waited a long time for the X. (Less than some others on this forum, I know...)

Modern cars, and especially EVs, are heavily tied to electronics. They are more subject to infant mortality problems like a computer or other electronic based device. Also, they are repaired based on field replaceable units. So, it could be a connector or board in the drive unit, but the field replaceable unit is the drive unit, so the replace the whole thing.

Reactions: That 1 Guy
Mine had a similar issue. Mine died right as I was leaving work. After about 10 seconds of leaving the parking spot. Car went completely dead. Towed to SC. Error message on screen was something like "rear left motor disabled". SC stated rear motor inverter part(big circuit board that's attached to the motor) had to be replaced. It's a major teardown to replace it. Got the car back after about 3 weeks. Seems to work fine but I am nervous about the car shutting down on me again.

Reactions: That 1 Guy
The rear motor of our 2022 MXLR failed after 4k miles. Towed to the SC 2 weeks ago and they just started working on it today. It’s been offline since 2pm today. I sense they needed to disconnect power to replace motor or inverter.

The rear motor of our 2022 MXLR failed after 4k miles. Towed to the SC 2 weeks ago and they just started working on it today. It’s been offline since 2pm today. I sense they needed to disconnect power to replace motor or inverter.
They often remove remote access to cars when they work on them. They don't want the owner make changes that effect their diagnostic process or endanger the techs.

While it is likely they have to remove power for the work you described, anytime Tesla works on a vehicle, regardless of how trivial the problem is, they disable all remote access functions. If you have your own aftermarket dashcam installed, they pull the power from that as well. They don't want owners snooping around while they are working on your car, honking the horn, opening doors or other things. In fact, if your vehicle becomes accessible again, there is a good chance the work is completed and waiting on the paperwork to catch up.

They often remove remote access to cars when they work on them. They don't want the owner make changes that effect their diagnostic process or endanger the techs.

While it is likely they have to remove power for the work you described, anytime Tesla works on a vehicle, regardless of how trivial the problem is, they disable all remote access functions. If you have your own aftermarket dashcam installed, they pull the power from that as well. They don't want owners snooping around while they are working on your car, honking the horn, opening doors or other things. In fact, if your vehicle becomes accessible again, there is a good chance the work is completed and waiting on the paperwork to catch up.

Interesting. This didn’t happen in my last two services at the end of last year. I was able to see door/trunk open and that’s how I knew when they were working on my car from 10pm to about 5am night shift. I also used 3rd party apps to track the GPS to see when it was on the lot vs inside the building.

Anyways, I’m glad the car is being worked on now after sitting on the lot waiting. Fingers crossed I’ll be able to get it back next week.

This happened to my new 2019 Model X at 400 miles after delivery. Car was in the service center for over a month. In the end, they said it was a bad drive unit and it was replaced. Frustrating experience, but it's been good for the last 36,000 miles. I am having issues with my 12v batteries prematurely failing, however. But that's a whole other story...

I am very ok with the fact that Tesla has early, mid, and late life failures with their drive units and batteries. I am just not ok with the propaganda that many spread about EV's that there's nothing to fail because it only has one moving part versus hundreds for an ICE vehicle. LOL

Reactions: cnnn____