Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

'22 Refresh X Vibration on Acceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a '22 refresh with about 2k miles on it. I've noticed that on the highway I sometimes get a subtle but noticeable vibration or "hum" when I accelerate above ~40 MPH. I can both hear and feel it. It's not a "shake" or even a sound that I think I could pick up with an audio recording. I'm not flooring it- just any acceleration at all. Feels like it's coming from the front end of the car.

At low speeds, or just cruising (steady speed), I hear nothing.

Anyone else have this? Any idea what it is, or if it's a problem?

I have a similar issue on my '22 Plaid and it sounds like its coming from the front motor. It happens when accelerating between 35 and 50 mph and has gotten worse as it gets colder. When I took it the service center, they said it was "a normal characteristic of the vehicle" :rolleyes:
Hmmm thanks for confirming. And interesting that we're both noticing this as it has gotten colder.

I agree with your sentiment though- something doesn't feel right about it.

6-2022 made LR MX, Same thing! Don't remember it doing it when brand new. Have 6500 miles now and has done it since about 2k-3k miles. Annoying.

It can be felt slightly in the yoke also. If the car had an exhaust, I would say one of the hangers is not rubber on rubber isolaying and getting a vibration from that. But can't be.

Reactions: mix261
FWIW - it happened earlier this week for me. For about 3 days, when I accelerate from a steady 40mph, I can feel the vibration/hum/harmonics when I gently accelerate, mostly through the accelerator pedal. I was about to submit a service request, BUT, it went away. I found a post on model s forum where there was a similar complaint. It's a LONG thread, so I didn't read through it all, but the OP said that it went away after a software update. I'll keep an eye on it for now.

FWIW - it happened earlier this week for me. For about 3 days, when I accelerate from a steady 40mph, I can feel the vibration/hum/harmonics when I gently accelerate, mostly through the accelerator pedal. I was about to submit a service request, BUT, it went away. I found a post on model s forum where there was a similar complaint. It's a LONG thread, so I didn't read through it all, but the OP said that it went away after a software update. I'll keep an eye on it for now.
Did yours go away too after a SW update? If so, which versions (before/after)?

Not after an update, it just went away after a couple of days. I was trying to observe the behavior more so I can enter a service request, but it just went away.
That's interesting (and surprising). I'm in the North East though, and I see you're in Texas. Some have hypothesized that the issue appears as a function of weather. Did it happen to warm up in your area at all coinciding with the noise going away?

Update for the thread: finally got my LR '22 X in for service. When I first mentioned the vibration, they said "somewhere around 40 MPH, only on acceleration?" and I said "yep".

They said they're aware of the reports, but for now are calling it a "characteristic of the new motors" and that there isn't anything to be concerned about. Given how prevalent it is, I think this might just be the situation. Remember that these cars have no multi-speed transmission. The cutoff of below 40 MPH vs above is so stark that it makes me think that the motor goes into a different "mode" at this speed. For instance, I could see there being some sort of PWM-like behavior going on to make the motors as efficient as possible, despite the tradeoff of increased noise.

The part I don't understand is why don't I remember hearing this when I first picked up the car. Did I just not notice it for some reason? Did this show up in a software update? Or is it because I picked up the car when it was warm and now it is cold (as many have noted)? I guess we'll see in spring/summer if this goes away.

Update for the thread: finally got my LR '22 X in for service. When I first mentioned the vibration, they said "somewhere around 40 MPH, only on acceleration?" and I said "yep".

They said they're aware of the reports, but for now are calling it a "characteristic of the new motors" and that there isn't anything to be concerned about. Given how prevalent it is, I think this might just be the situation. Remember that these cars have no multi-speed transmission. The cutoff of below 40 MPH vs above is so stark that it makes me think that the motor goes into a different "mode" at this speed. For instance, I could see there being some sort of PWM-like behavior going on to make the motors as efficient as possible, despite the tradeoff of increased noise.

The part I don't understand is why don't I remember hearing this when I first picked up the car. Did I just not notice it for some reason? Did this show up in a software update? Or is it because I picked up the car when it was warm and now it is cold (as many have noted)? I guess we'll see in spring/summer if this goes away.
My 2021 did not vibrate when I got it. The vibration appeared around 1500 miles.

My 2022 vibrated out of the box. Also, as it's gotten colder (at least, I assume it's the cold), I hear an air rushing sound from the motors when accelerating (even gently) at highway speeds. It reminds me of a cold air intake on a petrol car. Not audible with any music on, but it's bizarre to hear (it's not wind).

Wanted to let you know that I have the EXACT same situation with my June 2022 Model X. Im in the Washington DC area. Its driven me nuts trying to figure out what it is. You entire statements is what been going through my mind as well. Timing, weather, when it happens, how it feels. Ive taken it in for service 3 times. Theyve checked my wheels/tires, The most honest answer was "we are aware of reports and Tesla is looking into it" and that "its not a safety issue". Personally, I feel much better knowing its not an issue with my car. Thank you for posting.

I downloaded an app called NVH that measures vibration and attempts to locate the source. I'll show this to the service center and see if that motivates them to look further into this issue.

fZX9V6G.png