Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

'22 Refresh X Vibration on Acceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If it's getting progressively worse, it sounds like front axles to me. When one of the CV's has been starting to fail on mine, the noise gets progressively worse, and is worse in cold weather, worse when using the higher suspension settings, and most noticeable between about 30-50mph. The "new" and "upgraded" part numbers can and do still fail, I've already burned through one front driver's side palladium axle

Does it get better in "Low" and worse after using "High" suspension settings? If so, it's almost definitely axles

Mine took about 6000 miles for the problem to manifest from new. By then, the palladium axles were available, and I had them replaced around 8000 miles. The "refresh" axles have lasted close to 27000 miles (right side, not replaced again yet) and 20,000 miles (left side replaced at around 28,000 total vehicle miles)

But that's what I'd ask them to look at next time. Or try a different/better service center, if you're able. Check out the "Model X Shudder current status" megathread on here

The other fun thing about diagnosing these cars is the aluminum unibody and other construction oddities make isolating it with the mk1 human ear difficult. You almost have to find a quiet place with a concrete wall to reproduce it next to to diagnose, which is exactly how the tech and I diagnosed the most recent axle failure together - went and found a wall to drive next to and had *both of us* drive it to reproduce the sound and figure out which corner it was coming from. Science!

I don't think it's a safety issue until it gets so bad that you'll want to park the car anyway due to sounding broken

Last edited:
no silly, anytime misaligment axle will cause vibration.. go read up on lifted trucks.
Got it… had a Jeep GC with air suspension and never got vibration…

So in order to avoid the vibration the suspension should be in low or very low?

Is low ok for speed bumps and and steep driveways?

Getting a MXP next month for the wife so would like to fix everything before she gets it and complaints come…

Got it… had a Jeep GC with air suspension and never got vibration…

So in order to avoid the vibration the suspension should be in low or very low?

Is low ok for speed bumps and and steep driveways?

Getting a MXP next month for the wife so would like to fix everything before she gets it and complaints come…
Low doesn’t fix it, just reduces it. I’m lower than low with links, and it’s still annoying.

• Informative
Reactions: SnowFlyer
My 2018 S was fine except occasionally would get the shudder with hard acceleration. Never vibrated. I recently had the halfshafts replaced because warranty was about to expire. Right after they replaced it, I've been getting vibration with any acceleration, worse at higher speeds, goes away, or almost goes away when I take my foot off accelerator. It really feels like it's a gas engine car now.

Look it up. This problem is from the design flaw affecting all these cars. It's the halfshafts. The ball bearings in the halfshafts become damaged and causes vibration when they rub at the damaged angle. It affects all of us, more so the X and performance cars, because there's more force applied to them. Some people might not notice, but that doesn't mean it's not there. They use reconstructed used parts for replacements so they're a temporary fix, or even worse than the original problem sometimes.