Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

22" Summer Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ckwong

Mar 15, 2017
NJ
Hello all,

I'm in search of 22" tires for the summer and would like to know what current owners would recommend. According to tirerack the only Max Performance Summer are the Goodyear Eagle F1s and the others are all all-season tires. Thanks for any comments and advice in advance!

Continental 06's are a better tire than the Pirelli Zero's that come with the 22" tires in terms of an all season "summer performance" tire.

If you are just looking for a "summer performance" tire and do not care about some of the other characteristics - the Pirelli's are not bad at all.

Check out Tire Rack's recommendations/reviews - they're pretty good.

• Informative
Reactions: ckwong
I have the Goodyear Eagle F1s and I'm very happy with their performance. Compared to the 20" all-season Continentals, I find them to be almost as quiet, but with a ton more dry grip. Based on the remaining tread, I estimate I can get about 15-17k miles from them total, which is acceptable for me.

Haven't had the chance to try other tires, but like you said the summer-tire selection is pretty limited.

• Informative
Reactions: ckwong
I have the Goodyear Eagle F1s and I'm very happy with their performance. Compared to the 20" all-season Continentals, I find them to be almost as quiet, but with a ton more dry grip. Based on the remaining tread, I estimate I can get about 15-17k miles from them total, which is acceptable for me.

Haven't had the chance to try other tires, but like you said the summer-tire selection is pretty limited.

Do you have the ones with "SoundComfort Tech"? According to tirerack there are 3 versions of the Eagle F1:

TO Tesla
2014 Production
TO Tesla, SoundComfort Tech

I"m have no idea what's the different between the first two

I had the original Goodyear with Sound comfort. At nearly 17,000 miles I had a puncture. The foam in the Goodyear was a hard, continuous band bonded to the interior tread surface. The tire repair shop couldn't/wouldn't attempt a repair. Fortunately I carry a 12VDC compressor in the car and was able to limp home. Since the tires were nearly at the end their tread life, I replaced with the Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico Summer with foam inserts (the installer showed me the foam insert and said the foam in the area of a puncture could be removed if a repair/patch is needed. They are super quiet as well. After 8,000 miles, it appears they will last more than 20,000 -- which is great for a 22" summer.

Scorpion™ Zero™ Asimmetrico | Summer SUV Tires | Performance tires

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: jgrgnt and ckwong
the 22" goodyear eagle F1s on tirerack seems super cheap to me (about 170/tire, with a 80 rebate and free shipping. any reason not to get these?

That sounds like the Good Year Eagle F1 Super Tires that were made for Fisker origninally. If so --- RUN AWAY. from them. They had terrible traction and only lasted about 8-9K miles.