TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

22" tire swap to 20"

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Ferrett, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Ferrett

Ferrett Member

I ordered the black onyx 22" wheels and tires and now I'm not sure if I did the right thing
    since my ride is a bit more bumpy than I like. The tires and whees are stunningly gorgeous
    however. What courses of actions do I have to do a swap?

Anyone?

- MS

2. Hitman007

Hitman007 Member

I am sorry to hear that but your story actually confirms what I read. I was going to order the black 22" but I read it would really make the X have a harsh ride and it lowered the towing rating so I went with the 20"Helix. I may get them refinished in black eventually.

3. Ferrett

Ferrett Member

What's the tire size to get for the 20" if I do swap the wheels? Is there anything else I should change for the
    software with this tire swap?

4. Hitman007

Hitman007 Member

Front are 265/45 20 Rear are 275/45 20 Tesla will need to reprogram the computer to recognize the new tire size or your speedo will be off.

5. Pandamoanium

Pandamoanium Member

If you swap them out are you going to sell your 22" set?

6. Aljohn

Aljohn Member

I have the 22's on my X. They are Good Years but I have seen other brands on X's. The Good Years are fairly quiet, and smooth, but were over inflated from the factory 46lbs instead of the required 42. You may want to check the pressure. Replacing the Wheels and tires are expensive, so checking the pressure may be a easy fix.

7. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Member

Incorrect. The outside diameter of the 20" and 22" tires is the same. Taller sidewall on the 20" is why they ride better, can carry more weight, and are less susceptible to sidewall damage.

8. Ferrett

Ferrett Member

Yeah, probably sell the 22". Any takers?

9. Pandamoanium

Pandamoanium Member

Possibly, can you PM details?

10. DadoP90DL

DadoP90DL Member

I am going to sell my brand new never used 20" tires and wheels. I have purchased aftermarket wheels from TSportline. If you are interested about the OEM 20" standard wheels/ tires let me know.

11. JamesG

JamesG Member

I am interested in purchasing your tires and wheels.

12. Hitman007

Hitman007 Member

So no speedo calibration. You are good to go.

13. Severin

Severin Member

I am interested in your 22" wheels. Can pick them up.
    //Kent

14. AnxietyRanger

AnxietyRanger Active Member

Personal observation on the wheel issue:

The wheels were the issue that surprisingly gave me most pause with my Model X Signature order. I usually abhor too large wheels and too wide tires, usually being happiest in the 225-245/17-19" compromise depending on the car, even with cars that would otherwise scream for larger wheels given their equipment level...

My Model S P85 has the 19" wheels and I have been happy with them. Just cleaned them up this weekend and after two years no curb rash, which is great. Same would not have been true for larger wheels even though I try to be careful.

The reason this, usually a no brainer, gave me pause with the Model X is two-fold: First, the Model X is a large car and the 20" option does seem a tad small on it externally. Second, with the Signature order, the 22" wheels were included in the price - an expensive item to leave out without compensation.

I think what was the decider was the reported 15% range drop on the 22" wheels. I know I'd dislike the drive, be more susceptible to curb rash and be subject to lesser range (and lesser towing range, though that's not a real issue for me). Also, I wasn't a fan of the 22" design and found a more preferable design in the 20" selection.

So, I ate the perceived "cost" associated with getting only 20" for the Signature and have been content. It was the right choice for my driving preferences, but externally the 20" are more modest on such a large car. In the end, I guess modesty is my preference in wheels. :)

15. DadoP90DL

DadoP90DL Member

My modelX should be ready by 9/14. If that works with you we can then arrange it.

16. Rich Meister

Rich Meister Member

I was going back n forth w/ 21 or 22 wheels for the X. I finally settled on HRE P44SC 20" so i don't ruin the range and maintain ride quality. I just want to lower the X a bit more but my research has not resulted in a solution yet.

17. Ferrett

Ferrett Member

Several threads of interest going on here. I got the Black Onyx 22" wheels + tires. Willing to sell. If you are interested, please message me.

18. hill

hill Member

Everyone's willing to sell - no one's willing to make an even swap?
    ;)

19. DadoP90DL

DadoP90DL Member

I could even swap my 20" for 22" :)

20. JamesG

JamesG Member

That works for me. Let me know what you want for the set of 4 tires and rims