Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

22" tire swap to 20"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered the black onyx 22" wheels and tires and now I'm not sure if I did the right thing
since my ride is a bit more bumpy than I like. The tires and whees are stunningly gorgeous
however. What courses of actions do I have to do a swap?

Anyone?

- MS

I am sorry to hear that but your story actually confirms what I read. I was going to order the black 22" but I read it would really make the X have a harsh ride and it lowered the towing rating so I went with the 20"Helix. I may get them refinished in black eventually.

I have the 22's on my X. They are Good Years but I have seen other brands on X's. The Good Years are fairly quiet, and smooth, but were over inflated from the factory 46lbs instead of the required 42. You may want to check the pressure. Replacing the Wheels and tires are expensive, so checking the pressure may be a easy fix.

Personal observation on the wheel issue:

The wheels were the issue that surprisingly gave me most pause with my Model X Signature order. I usually abhor too large wheels and too wide tires, usually being happiest in the 225-245/17-19" compromise depending on the car, even with cars that would otherwise scream for larger wheels given their equipment level...

My Model S P85 has the 19" wheels and I have been happy with them. Just cleaned them up this weekend and after two years no curb rash, which is great. Same would not have been true for larger wheels even though I try to be careful.

The reason this, usually a no brainer, gave me pause with the Model X is two-fold: First, the Model X is a large car and the 20" option does seem a tad small on it externally. Second, with the Signature order, the 22" wheels were included in the price - an expensive item to leave out without compensation.

I think what was the decider was the reported 15% range drop on the 22" wheels. I know I'd dislike the drive, be more susceptible to curb rash and be subject to lesser range (and lesser towing range, though that's not a real issue for me). Also, I wasn't a fan of the 22" design and found a more preferable design in the 20" selection.

So, I ate the perceived "cost" associated with getting only 20" for the Signature and have been content. It was the right choice for my driving preferences, but externally the 20" are more modest on such a large car. In the end, I guess modesty is my preference in wheels. :)

I was going back n forth w/ 21 or 22 wheels for the X. I finally settled on HRE P44SC 20" so i don't ruin the range and maintain ride quality. I just want to lower the X a bit more but my research has not resulted in a solution yet.