Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

22" wheel impact on range and ride quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All,

I have already placed my order on 100D. I still have several more days to change my mind on options.

Now I am debating if I should get the 22" rim. It should look great but concern about range impact. Comparing to the standard 20" wheel, what % of range do you lost? I googled it and some said 10% to 15% penalty. It used to state on the tesla custom order site the amount of penalty when you choose the 22", but now this warning is gone. Not sure if Tesla has done something to improve it.

Any real life experience?

thanks in advance

Just my experience: Comparing the 90D loaner I usually get with 22's vs my 20" 90D, you couldn't pay me to take the 22's. Noisy, rough, and terrible on energy comparatively. I average about 330 wh/mi on my ~60 mile daily round trip if the weather is ok. On the 22's I can't recall getting below 380 but it's usually over 400.

They do handle noticably better around corners and look nice, but I have high mileage highway use so those aren't interesting to me.

• Informative
Reactions: Jurnimon
All,

I have already placed my order on 100D. I still have several more days to change my mind on options.

Now I am debating if I should get the 22" rim. It should look great but concern about range impact. Comparing to the standard 20" wheel, what % of range do you lost? I googled it and some said 10% to 15% penalty. It used to state on the tesla custom order site the amount of penalty when you choose the 22", but now this warning is gone. Not sure if Tesla has done something to improve it.

Any real life experience?

thanks in advance
If you like the look of 22" rims, go with aftermarket option, that is lighter in weight. I got an aftermarket set that is lighter than the 22 stock, but heavier than the 20 stock and I'm looking at 5-7% range penalty. There is a little more road noise with my conti dws and ride quality is slighter worse, but handling is improved.
rohana1.jpg

When Tesla say 10-15% impact on range I'm intrigued as to whether this gives the achievable range. IE on a 60d there is a rated range of 200miles. Would people actually start achieving a range of 170-180 miles with 22" wheels? If so, that's not really too bad considering people on 20" wheels probably only achieve 180-190 miles.

...or am i being optimistic with that?

When Tesla say 10-15% impact on range I'm intrigued as to whether this gives the achievable range. IE on a 60d there is a rated range of 200miles. Would people actually start achieving a range of 170-180 miles with 22" wheels? If so, that's not really too bad considering people on 20" wheels probably only achieve 180-190 miles.

...or am i being optimistic with that?
In my non-scientific guesstimate comparing a loaner to mine, I'd say calculate the impact on real range, not ideal.

In my non-scientific guesstimate comparing a loaner to mine, I'd say calculate the impact on real range, not ideal.

So do people think the range will be 153 - 161 miles? TBH that's probably sufficient for us too. We'll be charging at home and not often we'd go further without stopping off for the kids anyway at which point we'd use a supercharger.

Intrigued to here real achieved range of a 60d on both sets of wheels though. Might start a thread since I can't find anyone confirming their range in 60d with reference to wheels too...

So do people think the range will be 153 - 161 miles? TBH that's probably sufficient for us too. We'll be charging at home and not often we'd go further without stopping off for the kids anyway at which point we'd use a supercharger.

Intrigued to here real achieved range of a 60d on both sets of wheels though. Might start a thread since I can't find anyone confirming their range in 60d with reference to wheels too...

Me too. Interesting to find out the real range for X100D with stock 22" wheel as well
You'll have to dig a bit and do some math but all the information you're seeking is in here...

Model X: Average Wh/mile Tracker

The answer is "It depends." It depends on temperature, wind direction, how heavy a foot you have, how much of a load you're carrying, etc.

For a quick answer, knock off at least 15% for the 22 wheels. I have been tracking the entries in the above linked thread and the 20" wheels are averaging ~ 360 Wh/m and the 22" wheels are averaging ~ 430 Wh/m. That is a bit more than 15% but I have a lot more reports from those with 20's than I do with 22's and there are way more folks who drive highway miles with the 20's than with the 22's (mostly around town stop and go so likely a higher Wh/m).

Cheers!

• Informative
Reactions: Doctt
You'll have to dig a bit and do some math but all the information you're seeking is in here...

The answer is "It depends." It depends on temperature, wind direction, how heavy a foot you have, how much of a load you're carrying, etc.

For a quick answer, knock off at least 15% for the 22 wheels. I have been tracking the entries in the above linked thread and the 20" wheels are averaging ~ 360 Wh/m and the 22" wheels are averaging ~ 430 Wh/m. That is a bit more than 15% but I have a lot more reports from those with 20's than I do with 22's and there are way more folks who drive highway miles with the 20's than with the 22's (mostly around town stop and go so likely a higher Wh/m).

Cheers!

I think that works out at about 140miles of range for the 22" on a 60d MX then and 174miles on a 75d MX.

The other concern is the roads where you are. LA I don't know about. I have low profiles on my BMW 328 and have no options and have eaten up one set of wheels and tires. I can't wait to get something more standard on an X or 3 (19 or 20"). Potholes need some sidewall height to absorb the crunch!

The other concern is the roads where you are. LA I don't know about. I have low profiles on my BMW 328 and have no options and have eaten up one set of wheels and tires. I can't wait to get something more standard on an X or 3 (19 or 20"). Potholes need some sidewall height to absorb the crunch!

Amen to that. Reports from 22" owners (tires that is, not the owners themselves ;)) are that the 22's are more susceptible to pothole damage. I had low profiles on my prior BMW and bubbled 6 tires over 3 years. Almost every single time I hit a pothole at highway speeds, and sometimes slower, it ruined a tire. Luckily I had tire insurance which paid for it, but Tesla does not offer it. Even if they did, the hassle of having to replace the tire is not worth it. Obviously, I ordered my X with 20's.

Reactions: boaterva
I don't think the ride is bad with the 22"'s at all. I like it. Its sporty and fast. I drove 166 miles the other day and had 40 miles left at my destination and that was with a P100D mostly highway driving at 75 MPH and light AC. I was charged with a range of 287 miles which was 100% so its a BS range.

I don't think the ride is bad with the 22"'s at all. I like it. Its sporty and fast. I drove 166 miles the other day and had 40 miles left at my destination and that was with a P100D mostly highway driving at 75 MPH and light AC. I was charged with a range of 287 miles which was 100% so its a BS range.

It's not BS - there are hundreds of posts on the real range issue. It is highly dependent on many factors including speed, terrain, weather, wind, tires (22's vs 20's), "Rated" range requires ideal conditions and speeds and definitely is attainable. I've seen it many times on highway trips.

Me too. Interesting to find out the real range for X100D with stock 22" wheel as well

Doc, we generally have good fwy conditions and depending on your locale, decent secondary roads. I have 22's (X) and 21s (S) and have nothing to compare since I upgraded the weels out of the gate. Many on TMC warned me not to get them (range, wear, noise etc.) I have no regrets. As a proxy for range, I can drive from the west side to La Jolla and back on a charge, and do so weekly. A couple of times, I've crawled into my garage - but that was choice. I could have slowed down or stopped on the way back. As for noise, bah. I am out at Coachella, or I'd let you take mine for a spin. Back on Tuesday, if you are itnerested. BTW - westside to La Quinta in X...pulled into my garage with 21% rated range remaining. Drove like a demon and into the wind. X averages about 100Wh/mile greater use than the S but probably due to the P, rather than 1".

Too much naysaying about 21s and 22s.....just but what you like. You'll be happier.

Cheers!

Yes, this is a good gauge, but only a gauge. Just assume there is lost range, big whoop, and adjust your driving accordingly. Speed, wind, road conditions etc. will chew up range on any wheel size. You can manage this, or be afraid of it.

Last edited:
I am saying the proposed range is BS. It not even close. I am over 22% less than the supposed range. I drove 70 - 75 mph. It was a cool day and hardly used AC for a long time because I was nervous and trying to conserve. We didn't charge our phones and we didn't use the vented seats. Overall it was a disappointment.

I am saying the proposed range is BS. It not even close. I am over 22% less than the supposed range. I drove 70 - 75 mph. It was a cool day and hardly used AC for a long time because I was nervous and trying to conserve. We didn't charge our phones and we didn't use the vented seats. Overall it was a disappointment.
Did you ever pay attention to the actual mileage you got in your past ICE vehicles? Larger than stock wheels and higher than EPA tested speeds reduce the range on those too. Yup, just about 20%, the same as your X. Hence the saying "Your mileage may vary." :rolleyes::p

Cheers!
I have a 90D with 22's and ~25K mi. Upgrading to a 100D and first option I chose were the 22" black onyx. That being said my lifetime consumption was 374 wh/mi.
I can tell you that consumption greatly depends on all of the above variables. You can be between 260-500 wh/mi depending how you operate the vehicle.
I have achieved 260 wh/mi over 80 miles when I was low on juice and was trying to make it to supercharger without having to stop at level 2 - this is achieved with speed below 50, no ac/heat and very careful acceleration/deceleration.
On the other hand you can cruise with 90 on the hwy and see usage of 450-500 easily.

Considering all of the above, I believe that there are other more important factors impacting consumption than wheel size (speed, load, outside temp, a/c&heat use, rate of acceleration/decelleration). If you want to not have the negative effect of the 22's all you have to do is slow down by 5mph :)

@OP, I have a 100D with 22" wheels. I average below 350 wh/m in town. I drove to LA from SF and back, a total of 800+ miles trip with 6 people and luggage. Mostly drove at 80 mph, went uphill, downhill, against wind and I averaged 422 wh/m for the trip. I always had plenty of charge left whenever I arrived at SCs. Never had to worry about running out of juice. The bottom line is, if you are getting a 100D, I don't think you need to worry about about any range lost. However, I would not recommend 22" wheels for 75 and 60 kWh battery packs.

myx.jpg

Reactions: goneskiian