Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

220 lbs / 100 kg min. hanging on your wall.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Dec 22, 2014
UK
I know I can't get them in the UK yet, but, if I were to get 2 powerwalls that would be 200kg hanging on the wall.

Never fitted anything anywhere near that heavy on a domestic wall.

Are you all ok with that weight on your wall? Anyone else got heavier or equally heavy things hanging off your wall?

I know I can't get them in the UK yet, but, if I were to get 2 powerwalls that would be 200kg hanging on the wall.

Are you all ok with that weight on your wall? Anyone else got heavier or equally heavy things hanging off your wall?

I have a marble sculpture attached to my dining room wall, as long as the load is spread amongst multiple fixings it's fine.
It's been there for 5+ or more years.
image.jpg

Sure, we have a number of things that heavy.
The heaviest is probably our craft room, wall mounted cabinets & shelves. When loaded, they weigh well over that.

You want to make sure they are mounted properly. A single nail pounded into only drywall isn't going to do it;)

Sure, we have a number of things that heavy.
The heaviest is probably our craft room, wall mounted cabinets & shelves. When loaded, they weigh well over that.

You want to make sure they are mounted properly. A single nail pounded into only drywall isn't going to do it;)
I was just thinking about my kitchen cabinets loaded up with "stuff".

100 kg won't be a problem, as long as it's lag bolted into studs (not just into drywall). I haven't seen mounting specifics, but it's 34 inches wide. With US wall built with 2x4 studs 16" on center, the mounting bracket will attach to 2 or 3 studs, which will transfer the load vertically into the sill plate. Not a problem.

Multiple units mounted next to each other will be attached to separate studs, and won't impact each other.

An easy solution would be to mount 3/4" plywood to the studs, screws every 12". Then mount the PWs to that. You should be fine. If you are still concerned, you could mount the plywood larger than the PWs, say to one extra stud on either side, which will give you that much more stability. Living in CA, I expect I will need something more robust since the ground likes to wiggle out here!

Thanks for the feedback.

May settle for the exterior wall as its brick, although it would be further form the fuse box.

I take it they never showed mounting brackets at the event. Probably use resin or mechanical anchors over standard screws and rawlplugs, if the holes in the brackets with the powerwall are big enough.

An easy solution would be to mount 3/4" plywood to the studs, screws every 12". Then mount the PWs to that. You should be fine. If you are still concerned, you could mount the plywood larger than the PWs, say to one extra stud on either side, which will give you that much more stability. Living in CA, I expect I will need something more robust since the ground likes to wiggle out here!

I really like the jist of your idea.

Strictly speaking, screws are usually not rated for as much sheer as nails; some screws are specified for more sheer than others, so check the specs (in construction class, the saying is that "screws are not sheer rated", which strictly speaking is often false). This might be a good reason to either use nails (which are usually quite a bit cheaper) or get better spec screws. If you look for the more pricey screws, you can find sheer rated ones in even big box stores like Home Depot, Lowes, and you can even find some that are exterior rated too (yes, read the specs, often posted on the back of the box they come in for the more expensive ones, or sometimes requiring you to search for and download a manufacturer PDF and compare product ID's (ugh)). They usually have a different head than Phillips, so be sure to get an extra tip for that screw type. Lag screws, as another poster mentioned, would do it pretty well, but don't forget to predrill so you don't ruin your studs; lag screws are almost overkill, but better than regular screws to be sure (and are the most expensive option with the most installation trouble). I really like your idea of putting up that 3/4" plywood: it would make the whole room a bit less prone to falling over in an earthquake. I suppose a zillion non-sheer rated screws would work, but just to be on the safe side, I recommend you get the sheer rating of the screws and calculate it with plenty of headroom. Done right, the screws end up being a substantial portion of the plywood cost. That's why some would use nails, most angled a bit down to hold the plywood up, and quite a few at other angles to keep it from wandering off the wall (be sure to aim toward the meat of the stud for the ones nailed in sideways, i.e., plot the trajectory, and realize you would start the puncture quite a distance from the stud line).

Having said all that, it wouldn't be a horrible idea to synchronize the mounting brackets for the Powerwalls with the studs too, for added strength, even with the plywood.

BTW sheer is cross-force; e.g., imagine a screw horizontally screwed into a stud; the sheer force would be vertical. If the screw were vertical, the sheer would be horizontal.

This brings up an interesting topic of friction: the screw holds the item tight against another item, and the friction holds the items, allowing some sheer strength, but if the items ever became apart (loose with respect to each other) (something that probably happens exactly when you most need sheer strength), that benefit is lost. So that's why people like me don't like to depend on this friction principle.

Everything I said presuposes you actually know exactly where the studs are. Maybe under the plywood area you could knife out a couple strips of drywall so you can find the studs and map them out (remember they may not all be straight or plumb (vertical)); then put the strips back with a few drywall nails/screws and a little drywall filler compound to keep the fire rating good. Or look for the existing nails/screws to estimate for yourself (magnets sometimes work). Or use a stud finder.

Last edited:
As an engineer, I'm sure this is not mounted directly onto the drywall, and like many other heavy items (i.e. Tvs, Pictures, etc..) it would have to be stud mounted. Even on the stud, a 200lb load on a minimum of two studs is nothing when it's all in shear. You just need to make sure your bolts are big enough that it wouldn't rip off or pull out.

• Informative
Reactions: Vines
As an engineer, I'm sure this is not mounted directly onto the drywall, and like many other heavy items (i.e. Tvs, Pictures, etc..) it would have to be stud mounted. Even on the stud, a 200lb load on a minimum of two studs is nothing when it's all in shear. You just need to make sure your bolts are big enough that it wouldn't rip off or pull out.
I had 4 PWs mounted fine on my wall (2x4 studs). However, In my case my garage ceiling was 11ft tall, and ultimately I started seeing dry wall cracks after a few months. Structurally it’s fine, but I ended up welding up some supports I could wedge up underneath each PW with some legs I could “screw/lengthen” to help let the floor take some of the weight and the drywall cracking stopped.

05AF8C38-D605-4280-B288-012E1B895D76.jpegA724E9C3-A225-4EF9-9A0F-FAF8982F6310.jpeg

Attachments

• C87D209A-E879-4330-A899-A114EEBEFBE1.jpeg
    C87D209A-E879-4330-A899-A114EEBEFBE1.jpeg
    392 KB · Views: 74
Wow, lots going on here!

1. While you can install some large board to spread the load, it's not necessary. Have your installer follow the Tesla installation instructions in the "Hardware Compliance Letter" and your installation will likely pass structural oversight. As others have pointed out, book shelves, cabinets, can get this heavy.

2. Mounting (4) Powerwalls on a typical garage wall would often require them to be spread out, or the weight may be too large under seismic forces, and the whole wall will have so much self weight, it can dflect too much under these types of loads. If your drywall is cracking, there may be underlying issues with the wall construction or the structural calculations. @JayClark I assume it was cracking under the horizontal seam in the middle of the wall? Is there a supporting wall or structure on the other side of the wall the Poiwerwalls were mounted to? Side walls of an attached garage have so little support.

3. While nails are better than similar diameter screws in shear, the specified (4-6) 1/4" lag screws have plenty of shear strength to hold each powerwall.

Wow, lots going on here!

1. While you can install some large board to spread the load, it's not necessary. Have your installer follow the Tesla installation instructions in the "Hardware Compliance Letter" and your installation will likely pass structural oversight. As others have pointed out, book shelves, cabinets, can get this heavy.

2. Mounting (4) Powerwalls on a typical garage wall would often require them to be spread out, or the weight may be too large under seismic forces, and the whole wall will have so much self weight, it can dflect too much under these types of loads. If your drywall is cracking, there may be underlying issues with the wall construction or the structural calculations. @JayClark I assume it was cracking under the horizontal seam in the middle of the wall? Is there a supporting wall or structure on the other side of the wall the Poiwerwalls were mounted to? Side walls of an attached garage have so little support.

3. While nails are better than similar diameter screws in shear, the specified (4-6) 1/4" lag screws have plenty of shear strength to hold each powerwall.
Nah, not really that much going on. Tesla did all the installation and their team did the structural alanlysis which was checked and approved by the city. It's a load bearing wall, but I don't know much beyond that. They actually did spread them out more than I wanted originally both for weight distribution and cooling, that's how they explained their rejection of my request anyway and it made sense to me. Crack may be a strong word, a hairline sized crack appeared over one of the PWs where two pieces of dry wall were muddled together . So a couple years ago I added my own supports (see pictures in my previous post) without changing the wall mounts done by Tesla in any way. I figure now each Powerwall only has about 75-100lbs hanging on the wall via the original mounts with the floor supporting the rest of the weight. They look good how they are, and I really did want them elevated off the floor and as flush to the wall as possible - so I didn't want to change anything.

Anyway, the original crack that appeared was fixed and no more cracks have appeared over the last two years after I added the supports. Not a big deal. New wood frame homes settle, just the way it is, and sometimes fine cracks appear where drywall pieces come together unless it's a super high-end construction. I've fixed cracks like this in most homes I've owned over the last 30 years or so, usually in the ceiling. Powerwalls will definitely "help things settle" with four of them on one wall, on just about any wood stud wall with drywall would be my guess. Two years down the road, with no more hairline cracks, I think it's fine. Just providing information regarding my personal experience for folks wondering about hanging multiple PWs on a wood framed/sheetrock finished wall.

Last edited:
Reactions: BGbreeder
I had 4 PWs mounted fine on my wall (2x4 studs). However, In my case my garage ceiling was 11ft tall, and ultimately I started seeing dry wall cracks after a few months. Structurally it’s fine, but I ended up welding up some supports I could wedge up underneath each PW with some legs I could “screw/lengthen” to help let the floor take some of the weight and the drywall cracking stopped.

View attachment 727965View attachment 727966
Just wondering if those sq tubing leg bottoms are solid metal or just the thin walled tubing is sitting on that nice floor.

Mine sit on the sidewalk, bolted to the wall in one place. Although, as I weigh 100 kg, I never gave it a thought.

Weight distribution beyond just the thin tubing sides sitting on that nice floor even though it is hanging on wall.
Just a curiosity that hit me seeing the picture.
Sigh. 1" square tubing, 3/8 wall, rated at close to 1000lbs/sqr-in under compression (per leg @18" long), welded end caps on one end, inserted & welded solid 3/4" threaded rod on the other, clear coated. Twist up/down legs (x2) distributing to the floor maybe 50% of the weight for each 250 pound PW. Two years later, zero indications of floor "scratches", rust, "thin" walls or weight distribution "issues" in those pictures, or in reality. And if they do scratch the floor, I can live with the extra character that will add to a garage well lived in - not really much I (or you) need to fret over. It's just a scratch after all.

Last edited:
Reactions: BGbreeder