TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

~220 mile range!

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by xav-, Apr 24, 2018.

1. xav-

xav- Active Member

I have this weird thing i have been trying to figure out for some time and was hoping for some feedback please:

Our average consumption is around 267 kWh. So far so good. My understanding is the 310 range is based on 250 kWh. So I should expect around 289 miles of range. I am fine with that.

Yet here’s what we get (we had 277 miles yesterday morning - charged to 90 percent):
    2D094E1F-3D9F-40F3-BB16-209C83B66D5A.jpeg

This makes no sense to me. Why do we have only 118 miles of range left having driven 125 miles and used 33 kWh in 36 hours?!

We are on the latest update.

I am bringing the car for an unrelated issue on Thursday and was hoping for your input. I am trying to measure the vampire drain but it seems to be around 10 miles a day tops.. likely less.

Thanks
    Xavier-

2. RyanS

RyanS Ka-chow

Yeah... I am also curious about this. I have experienced similar with my M3. Usually get 25-35 miles less. That is like 10% discrepancies. However, MS (100D and signature) have been fairly accurate.

3. drawfour

drawfour Member

Did you remove the Aero hubcaps? Or go with the 19s? Just wondering if that could account for it. I'm assuming based on your location that you're not having cold days. :) Are they hot and you're running the A/C a lot?

• Like x 2
  4. tracksyde

tracksyde Member

The LR battery pack has 75kWh. If it shows 118 miles left with an avg consumption of 267, that means you have roughly 31.5kWh charge remaining. Since you only charged up to 90%, or 67.5kWh, that means you lost about 3kWh over 36 hours (75 x 0.9 - 33kWh used - 31.5kWh remaining).

3kWh @ 267Wh/mi makes your vampire drain about 12 miles in 36hrs or 8mi/day

Did I do the math right?

• Informative x 6
    • Like x 1
  5. xav-

xav- Active Member

Your math seems correct, damn.

6. PoitNarf

PoitNarf My dog's breath smells like dog food

Try doing a full system reboot by holding down the brake pedal while doing the two button scroll wheel reset. This appears to have fixed the vampire drain issue my Model 3 was experiencing.

• Informative x 1
  7. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Reboot is correct, stop with the brake pedal it adds nothing. :D

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  8. iluvmacs

iluvmacs Member

Bjorn has reported the consumption on the Model 3 can be misreported.

Also, please watch your units. Saying kWh rather than Wh/mile is extremely confusing...

• Helpful x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  9. dhu1

dhu1 Member

#9 dhu1, Apr 25, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    Vampire drain does not get calculated in the miles driven or energy used, but does come off the total energy available. Just don't drive the car overnight and you'll see the calculations don't change, but energy level does.

• Informative x 3
    • Helpful x 1
  10. xav-

xav- Active Member

So looked at battery this morning before leaving... unchanged! 118 miles

11. xav-

xav- Active Member

I did that already. Thanks for the feedback though

12. SigNC

SigNC Member

I think i read somewhere that the usage meter shown does not take into account climate control that it's just calculating what is used to move the car.

13. Need

Need Active Member

I thought it was around 234 Wh/mi not 250? So you will be using about 14% more energy. 310 miles * 0.9 * 0.86 = 240 miles.

240 miles - 125 = 115. So it seems right?

14. dhu1

dhu1 Member

Pretty sure it does take climate control into account, otherwise you would not see variations in energy usage when climate control is on....

15. SigNC

SigNC Member

Perhaps, I guess the way to test would be to blast the heat for 5 minutes and then roll half a mile.

16. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

I was confused too.

17. jsmay311

jsmay311 Member

#17 jsmay311, Apr 25, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    I don't think that's how it works.

Tesla doesn't change the displayed range estimates based on how efficiently you've been driving recently. It just uses the EPA rated efficiency to determine the displayed range.

I believe the 234 Wh/mile battery-to-wheels efficiency rating comes from the original published test numbers that showed a range of 334 miles and a usable capacity of ~78 kWh. (78 kWh / 334 miles = 0.234 kWh/mile)

But Tesla went with a 310 mile range instead of 334. So if the usable capacity was still 78 kWh, that would raise the battery-to-wheels number to 252 Wh/mile.

Throw in uncertainties around vampire drain and possible adjustments for battery temperature, and who knows.

18. xav-

xav- Active Member

Thanks for all the feedbacks.. I’m trying to focus on measuring the vampire drain now. No range lost last night which really surprised me.

Now trying to measure it when it’s parked in the sun during the day. Interior temp is ~100 degrees

19. xav-

xav- Active Member

Measured 5 miles of vampire drain while the car was parked outside in the afternoon (5 hours); no mile loss overnight. I suspect heat is a major contributor to vampire drain?

20. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

I have the 18" wheels with the aero caps and I have gotten very close to rated range. Drove 205 miles to Chattanooga, at the speed limit 60-70 and showed 105 miles range before I SuperCharged. I rarely lose more than 2 miles through vampire drain.