Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

~220 mile range!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The LR battery pack has 75kWh. If it shows 118 miles left with an avg consumption of 267, that means you have roughly 31.5kWh charge remaining. Since you only charged up to 90%, or 67.5kWh, that means you lost about 3kWh over 36 hours (75 x 0.9 - 33kWh used - 31.5kWh remaining).

3kWh @ 267Wh/mi makes your vampire drain about 12 miles in 36hrs or 8mi/day

Did I do the math right?

Actually, Model 3 has a 83.5 kWh battery pack.

So took the car in yesterday... had a couple other minor issues in addition to this. They said they will test the battery.

I have a model s75 in the meantime and so far it looks like the range is comparable to my 3....

I would be interested to hear from the owners who own both cars and see what kind of range they get..

..notice I used the word « range »... not « kWh per mile » :)

Just Put 80 miles on the S75 loaner...
- Same consumption as last week with the 3 (I have the sport wheels)
- range is very reliable (unlike on the 3)

I suspect I will end up using less electricity overall. Anybody else noticing similar trends?

For me the range on my Model 3 is much more consistent than my Model X. The MX seems to much more susceptible to winds and high speeds and varies wildly in those conditions. My Model 3 is pretty much spot on with the 290-310 range. I have 18" aero wheels with covers installed. The only condition that seems to lower my range more in the Model 3 than the Model X is cold weather.

I have this weird thing i have been trying to figure out for some time and was hoping for some feedback please:

Our average consumption is around 267 kWh. So far so good. My understanding is the 310 range is based on 250 kWh. So I should expect around 289 miles of range. I am fine with that.

Yet here’s what we get (we had 277 miles yesterday morning - charged to 90 percent):
View attachment 296562

This makes no sense to me. Why do we have only 118 miles of range left having driven 125 miles and used 33 kWh in 36 hours?!

We are on the latest update.

I am bringing the car for an unrelated issue on Thursday and was hoping for your input. I am trying to measure the vampire drain but it seems to be around 10 miles a day tops.. likely less.

Thanks
Xavier-

Probably nothing wrong with your specific car. I would simply calculate your real usage as ((277-118)*.240)/125 = 305Wh/mi. But without a logger, can't tell how much of that is vampire drain or preheat/precooling. But for reference, see the posts below:

Lifetime Average Wh/mi
Trip meter in the cold, totally wrong.
Trip meters not updating in 0.1 increments
Tesla Phantom Battery Losses of 20%
Here's What's Missing from Self-Driving Cars: TRUST
90D Battery seems much smaller than rated..
Calculate usable battery capacity based on rated miles values
Calculate usable battery capacity based on rated miles values

Enjoy.

edit - also note that this could be part of occasional BMS re-estimation of SoC. Have to get enough data to rule that out. One drive is not a good enough sample size.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: xav-
Quick update here.. picked up my car yesterday.. they checked the battery and reported no issues.

I did one small test a few minutes ago that is leading me to believe that vampire drain is not the only issue.

Drove 3.7 miles at a 257 wh average. Range went down by 5 miles. How is that possible?

I will posts longer tests.

Quick update here.. picked up my car yesterday.. they checked the battery and reported no issues.

I did one small test a few minutes ago that is leading me to believe that vampire drain is not the only issue.

Drove 3.7 miles at a 257 wh average. Range went down by 5 miles. How is that possible?

I don't think the range estimate is so accurate that you can expect perfect analysis of your range with such small distances. Let's say it displayed 200 miles range, but that actually meant some amount more than 199 and then you drove 3.7 miles and it rounded it down to195. That would show a 5 mile drop for 3.7 miles.

Ranges are estimated, as battery SOC can not be measured exactly. It’s usually accurate to within a few miles of the actual rated range, but certainly not tenths of mikes.

Also, please watch your units. Saying kWh rather than Wh/mile is extremely confusing...

Are you talking about this

he LR battery pack has 75kWh. If it shows 118 miles left with an avg consumption of 267, that means you have roughly 31.5kWh charge remaining. Since you only charged up to 90%, or 67.5kWh, that means you lost about 3kWh over 36 hours (75 x 0.9 - 33kWh used - 31.5kWh remaining).

3kWh @ 267Wh/mi makes your vampire drain about 12 miles in 36hrs or 8mi/day

If so he used kWh where he meant kWh and should have used kWh. If that confused you that is on you.

That range penalty is completely normal for in-town short trips. My range hit is often 40% or worse for a week of in-town schlepping about. And that’s not in cold weather.

Then I can get on the highway and from point to point, SC to SC with flat, non-windy conditions at reasonable speed, will get quite close to rated just like the virtual brochure sez.

Can’t just read the Wh/mi numbers off the screen. Most people have no idea of their actual efficiency from charge to charge.

Last edited: