Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

~220 mile range!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have this weird thing i have been trying to figure out for some time and was hoping for some feedback please:

Our average consumption is around 267 kWh. So far so good. My understanding is the 310 range is based on 250 kWh. So I should expect around 289 miles of range. I am fine with that.

Yet here’s what we get (we had 277 miles yesterday morning - charged to 90 percent):
2D094E1F-3D9F-40F3-BB16-209C83B66D5A.jpeg

This makes no sense to me. Why do we have only 118 miles of range left having driven 125 miles and used 33 kWh in 36 hours?!

We are on the latest update.

I am bringing the car for an unrelated issue on Thursday and was hoping for your input. I am trying to measure the vampire drain but it seems to be around 10 miles a day tops.. likely less.

Thanks
Xavier-

Yeah... I am also curious about this. I have experienced similar with my M3. Usually get 25-35 miles less. That is like 10% discrepancies. However, MS (100D and signature) have been fairly accurate.
Did you remove the Aero hubcaps? Or go with the 19s? Just wondering if that could account for it. I'm assuming based on your location that you're not having cold days. :) Are they hot and you're running the A/C a lot?

The LR battery pack has 75kWh. If it shows 118 miles left with an avg consumption of 267, that means you have roughly 31.5kWh charge remaining. Since you only charged up to 90%, or 67.5kWh, that means you lost about 3kWh over 36 hours (75 x 0.9 - 33kWh used - 31.5kWh remaining).

3kWh @ 267Wh/mi makes your vampire drain about 12 miles in 36hrs or 8mi/day

Did I do the math right?

The LR battery pack has 75kWh. If it shows 118 miles left with an avg consumption of 267, that means you have roughly 31.5kWh charge remaining. Since you only charged up to 90%, or 67.5kWh, that means you lost about 3kWh over 36 hours (75 x 0.9 - 33kWh used - 31.5kWh remaining).

3kWh @ 267Wh/mi makes your vampire drain about 12 miles in 36hrs or 8mi/day

Did I do the math right?
Your math seems correct, damn.

If it shows 118 miles left with an avg consumption of 267, that means you have roughly 31.5kWh charge remaining.

I don't think that's how it works.

Tesla doesn't change the displayed range estimates based on how efficiently you've been driving recently. It just uses the EPA rated efficiency to determine the displayed range.

I thought it was around 234 Wh/mi not 250?

I believe the 234 Wh/mile battery-to-wheels efficiency rating comes from the original published test numbers that showed a range of 334 miles and a usable capacity of ~78 kWh. (78 kWh / 334 miles = 0.234 kWh/mile)

But Tesla went with a 310 mile range instead of 334. So if the usable capacity was still 78 kWh, that would raise the battery-to-wheels number to 252 Wh/mile.

Throw in uncertainties around vampire drain and possible adjustments for battery temperature, and who knows.

Last edited:
I have the 18" wheels with the aero caps and I have gotten very close to rated range. Drove 205 miles to Chattanooga, at the speed limit 60-70 and showed 105 miles range before I SuperCharged. I rarely lose more than 2 miles through vampire drain.