Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

220 volt outlet in the garage already?

pgcoco

Sep 12, 2021
Rancho Cordova
So an electrician just came by and saw that I already have a 220 volt outlet in the garage all ready to go. I also bought a Tesla wall connector for charging my model Y. So what are my options here:
1. Hard Mount the wall connector directly on top of the outlet, what Tesla recommends?
2. Use a plug to connect the wall connector from the outlet and then charge my car, this way I can use the outlet for other things as well?

Leaning towards option 2, is that safe?

jcanoe

Oct 2, 2020
Maryland
So an electrician just came by and saw that I already have a 220 volt outlet in the garage all ready to go. I also bought a Tesla wall connector for charging my model Y. So what are my options here:
1. Hard Mount the wall connector directly on top of the outlet, what Tesla recommends?
2. Use a plug to connect the wall connector from the outlet and then charge my car, this way I can use the outlet for other things as well?

If you add a power plug to electrical equipment (in this case the Tesla Wall Connector) where the manufacturer specified that the equipment is to be hard wired then it is a violation of the electrical code. That said, many people have done this with the Tesla Wall Connector.

The Wall Connector requires (2) 120V leads and an earth ground. Not all 240V receptacles have a ground connection.

The Wall Connector needs to be set for the correct amperage for the 240V circuit. A mismatch between the maximum circuit rating and the Wall Connector settings will cause an electrical fire. I.e. if the 240V receptacle is for an electric clothes dryer (30A) then the Wall Connector must be set for less than or equal to a 30A circuit.

Last edited:
Reactions: thinktwice

pgcoco

Sep 12, 2021
Rancho Cordova

dexgator

Aug 27, 2021
San Diego

If you already have a 220v outlet I will use that. Check out which NEMA type it is and compare it to the charging rate for your Car provided in the tesla website. that should give you enough information to decide whether to install the wall connector or stick with the existing outlet.

Geech72

Mar 10, 2021
NC
Yeah the amperage is really important. In addition to safety it makes all the difference in how quickly you can charge. I have a 60 amp circuit at home and can charge at 12KWh/hour, while my parents have a 30 amp plug I use when I visit them and it charges at 6Kwh/hour.

Kairide

Jul 13, 2021
CA
Don't forget the amperage is important as well. I have a 30 amp, 240V NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage that I just keep the mobile connector plugged in to at all times. It charges my Model S at ~18 miles per hour, which is plenty for my needs.
If you go the NEMA 14-50 route with the mobile connector, it's best not to keep plugging/unplugging it from the outlet.

If you’re going to use that circuit for your wall charger then please, PLEASE, keep it as a dedicated circuit. I am an electrician and I can’t stress this enough. If you need a 240v for a second source then call back that guy to have him/her do it correctly. Do not split/share the receptacle with anything else.

Nosken

Jan 15, 2015
Lincoln, CA

See which outlet it is, and get the adapter from Tesla. The max the car will get from the wall charger is 48 Amps, the included charger will go up to 32 Amps, which is fine. It will charge overnight, and you save lot's of $$
Plugging in the Wall Connector can be done, but you are likely to not gain any benefit.
Feel free to PM me, I would look at your photos. I am nearby in Lincoln, and happy to help.
Try to ping out what the size of the breaker is to your outlet.
Here is a chart of NEMA outlets-Which one is it, and how big is the breaker? NEMA Plug Charts | Americord | NEMA Configurations

All great info above, just to elaborate a little more, typically the NEMA receptacle spec defines the amps, i.e., an N6-50, the 50 indicates the max amps for the circuit, but like @Kairide said above, his N14-50 is a 30a.

We have a N6-50 receptacle, on its own circuit, with a 50a breaker, and our EVSE has a max charging amperage of 40. The ROT is to run at about 20% less than the rated circuit spec (so 40 on a 50, or 24 on a 30, etc.)

Did the electrician mark/label the box to show what breaker is on the 220?

For reference (just using the Tesla "plug guide") on the NEMA receptacle/plug specs:

1099345_0.jpg

Reactions: Kairide

thinktwice

Oct 17, 2018
Frisco, TX

Adding a pigtail to the Wall Connector is another potential fail point. Plus, there wouldn't be a temperature sensor in the plug like there is in a Mobile Connector. You also probably want to avoid constant unplugging/plugging with a 240v outlet as that'll likely loosen the connection over time and cause overheating, unless you have an industrial grade outlet.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC