Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

220V adapter for Airbnb - would that be helpful?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm an Airbnb host and I have a 220 volt plug in the garage. Can I buy an adapter for the outlet for Tesla owners to use when they stay at my property? Would that be valuable as a guest or is that too slow? There are only two hotels that have EV charging in my town of 150,000.

You're better off getting a wall unit that provides a J1772 connector. These are more universal and will allow other EVs to charge. Teslas can use J1772 plugs with their own adapters. Don't pigeonhole yourself to only Tesla customers. You can look for "level 2 chargers" on Amazon to start. Most will have J1772 connectors. (Technically they're not really chargers, but that's a pretty pedantic conversation for this thread.)

In the meantime, just listing what kind of receptacle you have will be useful for EV owners. Many people have adapters for their own mobile connectors to plug into various kinds of receptacles without needing anything on the wall.

I agree with what Beatle said, but it is more expensive. In the meantime, for $35, you can get a Tesla adapter for your receptacle. You can see each plug design by selecting the various plugs in the pull-down window at Gen 2 NEMA Adapters

It would also be good to mention the type of receptacle you have and its voltage/amperage when promoting it, and I think it would be beneficial to have either an adapter, or, as Beatle says, a J1772 Wall Connector. Thanks.

Reactions: beatle
I'm an Airbnb host and I have a 220 volt plug in the garage. Can I buy an adapter for the outlet for Tesla owners to use when they stay at my property? Would that be valuable as a guest or is that too slow? There are only two hotels that have EV charging in my town of 150,000.
It also depends on the type of outlet, and if your customers have access to the receptacle.
One of the most common 240 volt receptacles is a NEMA 14-50 "Stove". It's common in campgrounds, houses etc. It's usually on a 50 amp 2 pole circuit breaker - making it good for 40 or 32 amp charging. Tesla customers can buy an adapter for their car (a lot do that), and it comes as standard equipment in several other makes (EG Volvo XC40, Audi E-tron, etc). If it's a different configuration (eg NEMA 14-30 "dryer") it's not as likely that your customers will have an adapter.

Do you want your guests to have access to the garage? If not and/or the receptacle is not a NEMA14-50, you may wish to heed @beatle 's advice, and buy an inexpensive J1772 EVSE, and have an electrician wire it outside of the garage. ALSO - Some of these EVSE' come with a 14-50 or a 6-50 "welder" plug installed on it. If the receptacle is one of those, you could just plug it in.

- and make sure that you promote this via Plugshare, website etc.

Last edited:
I agree with what Beatle said, but it is more expensive. In the meantime, for $35, you can get a Tesla adapter for your receptacle. You can see each plug design by selecting the various plugs in the pull-down window at Gen 2 NEMA Adapters

It would also be good to mention the type of receptacle you have and its voltage/amperage when promoting it, and I think it would be beneficial to have either an adapter, or, as Beatle says, a J1772 Wall Connector. Thanks.
Lot of us out here with Gen 1 chargers. Gen 2 adapter would eliminate most model S and X over a few years old.

If you don't want to invest in a level 2 EVSE (agree with that recommendation as it would be helpful for non-Tesla EVs as well, which hopefully there will be more and more), I would just advertise what exact type of outlet it is (e.g. NEMA 14-50, 6-50, etc) and say that EV owners are welcome to plug in with their own adapters.

EVSE ("Chargers") start at around $300-400 though, so it's an investment. But I have made decisions about where to stay in the past based on charging availability. I actually stayed at a VRBO just this weekend which allowed me to use their dryer plug just inside from the carport to charge my Tesla (using my own adapter).

Here's an example of a good, lower-priced level 2 EVSE that all EVs would be able to use (including Teslas with their adapter, which most Tesla owners have:)
https://www.amazon.com/Grizzl-Level-Charging-Station-Output/dp/B07XSB5K6G/

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Lot of us out here with Gen 1 chargers. Gen 2 adapter would eliminate most model S and X over a few years old.

If you don't want to invest in a level 2 EVSE (agree with that recommendation as it would be helpful for non-Tesla EVs as well, which hopefully there will be more and more), I would just advertise what exact type of outlet it is (e.g. NEMA 14-50, 6-50, etc) and say that EV owners are welcome to plug in with their own adapters.

EVSE ("Chargers") start at around $300-400 though, so it's an investment. But I have made decisions about where to stay in the past based on charging availability. I actually stayed at a VRBO just this weekend which allowed me to use their dryer plug just inside from the carport to charge my Tesla (using my own adapter).

Here's an example of a good, lower-priced level 2 EVSE that all EVs would be able to use (including Teslas with their adapter, which most Tesla owners have:)
https://www.amazon.com/Grizzl-Level...614644181&rnid=2941120011&s=automotive&sr=1-7
In addition to the Gen 2 Adapter I suggested in my first post, you can also buy the appropriate Gen 1 adapter for Tesla vehicles built from 2012 to late 2017 for $45.
Gen 1 NEMA Adapters
With a Gen1 and Gen 2 adapter, this is an inexpensive way to provide all Teslas with connectivity to your existing receptacle. You can add the built-in wall connector and additional wiring which would be required later.

If I had the 14-50 setup, would that only be advantageous to Tesla owners but not other electric vehicle owners?

How would I figure how much that will add to my utility bill? Wondering if that's an expense to absorb or if I raise my prices.

I just had a guest recommend I offer it since there are so few options in my town.

Other EVs have 14-50 adapters as well (it's a popular plug as others have stated) so your bases are covered.

As for your utility bill, it will really depend on how many people use it and whether they stay multiple days and use your place as a base camp for really racking up the miles. For reference though, most cars will use 60-80kwh when charging from near empty.

If I had the 14-50 setup, would that only be advantageous to Tesla owners but not other electric vehicle owners?

How would I figure how much that will add to my utility bill? Wondering if that's an expense to absorb or if I raise my prices.

I just had a guest recommend I offer it since there are so few options in my town.

You can put a power monitor on that one outlet fairly cheaply, including monitoring it remotely.
I would recommence a Sense with an extra set of Coils you add to that circuit.

In addition to the Gen 2 Adapter I suggested in my first post, you can also buy the appropriate Gen 1 adapter for Tesla vehicles built from 2012 to late 2017 for $45.
Gen 1 NEMA Adapters
With a Gen1 and Gen 2 adapter, this is an inexpensive way to provide all Teslas with connectivity to your existing receptacle. You can add the built-in wall connector and additional wiring which would be required later.
Yeah, but this would only cover Tesla owners and not other EVs

You're better off getting a wall unit that provides a J1772 connector. These are more universal and will allow other EVs to charge. Teslas can use J1772 plugs with their own adapters. Don't pigeonhole yourself to only Tesla customers. You can look for "level 2 chargers" on Amazon to start. Most will have J1772 connectors. (Technically they're not really chargers, but that's a pretty pedantic conversation for this thread.)
Yes.

I wouldn't go for the cheapest random Chinese or no-name L2 EVSEs you can find. If I didn't care about fancy features but wanted quality, I'd go with Level 2 Electric Vehicle Charging Stations: 12-80 Amp | ClipperCreek.
Other EVs have 14-50 adapters as well (it's a popular plug as others have stated) so your bases are covered.
No. What I wrote at Adding Charger at Work is still true for me. I've been driving BEVs as my primary car since end of July 2013. I haven't had an ICEV in my household of 1 for over 2 years now. I've never had anything that can plug into NEMA 14-50.

As I posted at Why ChargePoint is Terrible, many vehicles do NOT come with any EVSE that can plug into NEMA 14-50.

Even Tesla stopped including the NEMA 14-50 adapter awhile ago.

Yes.

I wouldn't go for the cheapest random Chinese or no-name L2 EVSEs you can find. If I didn't care about fancy features but wanted quality, I'd go with Level 2 Electric Vehicle Charging Stations: 12-80 Amp | ClipperCreek.

No. What I wrote at Adding Charger at Work is still true for me. I've been driving BEVs as my primary car since end of July 2013. I haven't had an ICEV in my household of 1 for over 2 years now. I've never had anything that can plug into NEMA 14-50.

As I posted at Why ChargePoint is Terrible, many vehicles do NOT come with any EVSE that can plug into NEMA 14-50.

Even Tesla stopped including the NEMA 14-50 adapter awhile ago.
Well.....the Audi e-tron, e-tron Sportback, and Volvo XC40 electric all come with a NEMA 14-50 plug, as standard equipment. I just test drove them yesterday, and they all come with the charge kit.

However - if the receptacle is a 14-50 (OP hasn't identified it other than it's "220 volt"), They would be better off buying a plug in EVSE J1772. It fits everything.

Last edited:
However - if the receptacle is a 14-50 (OP hasn't identified it other than it's "220 volt"), They would be better off buying a plug in EVSE J1772. It fits everything.
Actually did:
I see now that my outlet is a 14-30, not a 14-50.
There is an easy thing you could do with this, but it's a little spendy.
Clipper Creek makes excellent, rock solid charging units that are made in the USA. This can plug into your 14-30 outlet and hang on the wall, and it provides the J1772 plug that can work for all electric cars. But it's $485. And maybe that's not a bad deal for a long term solution.
20A Level 2 EVSE LCS-25P with NEMA 14-30 | ClipperCreek

Actually did:

There is an easy thing you could do with this, but it's a little spendy.
Clipper Creek makes excellent, rock solid charging units that are made in the USA. This can plug into your 14-30 outlet and hang on the wall, and it provides the J1772 plug that can work for all electric cars. But it's $485. And maybe that's not a bad deal for a long term solution.
20A Level 2 EVSE LCS-25P with NEMA 14-30 | ClipperCreek

Clipper Creek also offers budget options through a brand called Amazing E. They have a 16 amp EVSE with a NEMA 14-30 plug for $329 ... I have a friend with one and it's very high quality. Charge speed won't be great at 16 amps vs 20 or 24, but it should be sufficient for most overnight guests. Tesla owners with their own 14-30 adapter could unplug the Amazing E and get the full 24 amp charge rate with their own mobile connector.

Home EV Charging Station, Level 2, 240 Volt, 16 Amp or 32 Amp

• Helpful
Reactions: cwerdna and Rocky_H