Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

220v charging cable questions....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So let me get this straight:
The mc 240 charging cable charges at 30 amps, but only works with the 1.5 cars.
The umc 240 charging cable charges at a higher 40 amp rate, and works with all versions (1.5, 2.0, and 2.5.)
Am I correct on these details?

So let me get this straight:
The mc 240 charging cable charges at 30 amps, but only works with the 1.5 cars.
The umc 240 charging cable charges at a higher 40 amp rate, and works with all versions (1.5, 2.0, and 2.5.)
Am I correct on these details?
My 2.0 was delivered with an MC 240 (EU version) for up to 30A and charges with it.

There was a firmware upgrade for the 2.0/2.5 that made the MC240 not work, but I heard they subsequently fixed that. You might want to confirm with Tesla.

Yes, the firmware upgrade that made the Blink (I think) charger work with the Roadster simultaneously broke the MC240. But Tesla loaned me a UMC while they had the MC240 fixed. Presumably they would do that for anyone with an MC240 that didn't work any more.

I guess what I am trying to ask is, as far as the two 220v mobile connectors are concerned (the older mc240 and the newer umc240,) are both 30 amp output, or does the newer umc240 put out 40 amps? I'm pondering one of these instead of a permanent wall-mounted 70 amp charging station. I could take it with me and charge at rv campgrounds and the like if necessary. I'd prefer 40 amps instead of 30 amps!

The newer UMC does go to 40A. That's what I use at home. It's plenty fast enough for charging overnight and for almost all situations. If you drive on a long trip and come back almost empty and want to head back out again with little delay, the HPC would come in handy. Otherwise the UMC is fine.

Then that's what I'm after; a newer 40 amp umc. I don't suppose anyone has one they want to sell? If not, I'll have to take the plunge brand new thru tesla. I see it's only $500 less than the HPC. Maybe someone wants to upgrade to the HPC and sell their umc to cover some of the cost?? If so, lety me know! Thanks again guys, for your help and clarification!