Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

220V outlet spliced from water heater line?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TO ME (feel free to think differently), BETTER THAN ADEQUATE charging at your home or work is required before making a commitment to an electric car. Relying on public charging takes one of the best features of an EV and turns it into a negative... ...again, in my opinion. I know there are plenty of folks who do this, but to me it defeats the main benefit of going electric.

Agreed. Not sure if it’s the MAIN benefit of going electric (largely a matter of opinion) but certainly one of the biggest. I personally would not own an electric car if I did not have adequate home charging. Or more accurately stated, now that I am hooked on driving electric, I will never buy or rent a home that does not have adequate home charging or at least the infrastructure in place for me to install what is needed.

Reactions: DaveRZ
Anyone planning on 110v charging should replace their 15 or 20 amp outlet with a high power rated one. (Obviously don't put a 20 amp outlet on a 15 amp circuit). All outlets are not the same! The $0.68 cent outlet is for lamps and radios etc and does not have much copper in it. The $2.10 one is for table saws, air compressors, toaster ovens, heaters etc where continuous high current demand is present. The plugs are harder to insert and remove because more copper contact and tighter spring tension on the contacts. That's good! The cheap ones will over heat and loose temper on the contacts and get looser and overheat more. Same goes for 110v 20 amp and even 220 amp outlets. DON'T buy cheap electrical outlets, extension cords etc. Copper is expensive, but you need it! Don't plug your car into a $0.49 outlet (10 pack price)!!!

[URL='https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-15-Amp-Residential-Grade-Grounding-Duplex-Outlet-White-R52-05320-00W/202066670']

[/URL]

No problem get a switch so that only one appliance can draw a load at one time.
This is your safest most practical solution, get a throw switch that disconnects both poles and reconnects to your second line. You can never run both at the same time. I have seen this setup in action and it works great. I do suggest if either of you have never worked with this type electrical circuit get a licensed electrician to do the work, don't want to have any issues with your home ones insurance.

I actually talked a co-worker out of a TM3 who didn't have a good way of charging at home ...

I agree with you that charging at home provides much of the joy and cost savings of owning an electric vehicle. Still, knowing absolutely nothing about the specific situation won’t hinder me from wading in and offering an opinion. :cool:

I think you may have given up too soon. I’ve helped numerous folks figure out a way to add 240v charging to their garage or driveway by using suggestions posted on this and other forums. And that doesn’t mean one has to entertain expensive options or violate code. Sometimes you just have to scratch your head and get creative.

• Love
Reactions: Fernand
... and we're driving less these days. Of course that doesn't solve one person's specific case, but maybe it doesn't have to be settled all at once. You can get by on Supercharging and temp solutions just fine if you're not too obsessive compulsive. Even the most glitzy companies' wiring closets are often a mess.

I've had very low voltage drop and good flexibility and durability with this inexpensive cord
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004SQF4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I even leave a couple feet sticking out of the garage door, out on the driveway, in case a starving EV drives by. Like in the Far West days they'd leave out a little water for passing horses. Sounds of Deliverance banjos out back.

Start on plain 120v while thinking, reading and cooking up the most elegant and cost-effective solution. When you're done you can charge sailors on leave to come see it. Not.

Last edited: