Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$22k HV Battery Damage Not Covered. Help!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, OP knows they hit something, knew it was leaking (may not have known what they hit, but knew they hit "something") probably continued home and parked. The "didnt realize it" can be partially true as maybe they didnt know what they hit, but they know they hit something.

Nobody said that it was leaking outside of the pack, so how do you know "he knew it was leaking"? My reading is that the leak was internal to the pack, and it was obviously a small enough leak that it hadn't triggered the coolant low warning. We don't know how long the pack was damaged before the internal coolant leak caused the failure... (For all we know it could have been damaged before he bought the vehicle.)

Nobody said that it was leaking outside of the pack, so how do you know "he knew it was leaking"? My reading is that the leak was internal to the pack, and it was obviously a small enough leak that it hadn't triggered the coolant low warning. We don't know how long the pack was damaged before the internal coolant leak caused the failure... (For all we know it could have been damaged before he bought the vehicle.)
all true. but typically when its like, 10 things that dont add up? Something..is up....

Last edited:

This is true, we dont know. We do know however that you cant run over something that hits the car hard enough to cause damage to it and not know you hit something. You are correct though, its entirely possible the leak was not visible and the OP thought they "dodged a bullet" so to speak. Not going to edit my post but am going to acknowledge this correction.

This is true, we dont know. We do know however that you cant run over something that hits the car hard enough to cause damage to it and not know you hit something. You are correct though, its entirely possible the leak was not visible and the OP thought they "dodged a bullet" so to speak. Not going to edit my post but am going to acknowledge this correction.
Someone drunk or high enough could drive over something and not know.

6310E8F1-3EA7-49C7-A8F3-4D507BFB04E0.gif

Turning away from the subject of HOW it happened (since it already happened), does anyone know if you can have Tesla replace it with the latest 100KWh battery pack? Or do you have to get the same pack your car came with?

Ouch. Sorry to be a Monday morning quarterback but I don’t care how old my Tesla gets, I won’t ever decline collision.
Always keep comp and collision until you can afford to loose the equivalent amount of money. My daughter wanted to drop collision on a $3000 car. I asked her if she could easily afford to loose $3000. She said no so I told her that was her answer. Six months later a deer hit her and totaled the car. She got $4500 from insurance which helped her buy a better car. Old school thinking that you drop comp and collision after it’s paid for is wrong.

Now, OP never said there was a specific incident that undoubtedly caused the damage, so even if collision coverage had been in force, the insurance company could have as easily said "unless you can confirm the date/time/location when the damage happened, we will deny the claim".

Reactions: croman
Ouch. Sorry to be a Monday morning quarterback but I don’t care how old my Tesla gets, I won’t ever decline collision.

You shouldn't on any car.

If you can't afford the insurance on a car, or can't afford to walk away if something like this happens, buy a cheaper car.

I will say that in response to some of the other posts, my first Model 3 was a victim of a battery being killed by road debris. And I have to say, you better believe I knew I hit something! It felt like I crashed into a damn boulder, it immediately blew out a tire (and when I say immediately I mean my TPMS was reading zero before I could even get to the shoulder). So yeah, I knew it.

Also, I was actually pretty shocked the pack was toasted. When my car was on the tow truck going to Tesla, I had a chance to look under it and take pics. It was barely scratched up. I would have never guessed the pack was damaged, but Tesla called it done.

• Informative
Reactions: drklain and croman
I had a BMW M3, and saw a guys drop receiver hitch cartwheeling down the freeway straight towards my car (I was going 80MPH). I ran right over it. I heard it, but didn’t really feel anything. It sounded pretty substantial so I pulled over and the car leaking oil like crazy. I called a tow truck. The car was totaled. It went along under the car, end over end, and broke the steering, smashed in the oil pan all the way to the crankshaft (and damaged it), smashed in the transmission and the rear end. Car looked brand new, didn’t have a scratch, but was a total loss. That was crazy, and I can see how this could happen.

I also almost bought insurance once, and upon final review of the quote noticed collision was declined (which is why it was so cheap). I can see how that can accidentally happen.

Both those happening in the same short period, well...that’s terrible luck.

Silly question here but back in 2013-2014 Elon got on a stage in front of the world and said that the battery on the model S was covered even if the damage was caused on purpose.

He made these statements shortly after the two row hook incidents where the battery caught on fire October 2013ish

I have Brian”coverage” on my pack. I assume that the verbiage changed at some point but when?

Silly question here but back in 2013-2014 Elon got on a stage in front of the world and said that the battery on the model S was covered even if the damage was caused on purpose.

He made these statements shortly after the two row hook incidents where the battery caught on fire October 2013ish

I have Brian”coverage” on my pack. I assume that the verbiage changed at some point but when?
Only if the car burned down because of the fire resulting from the damage.

On the collision topic, like all insurance it is whether you can afford the lose or mentally handle the stress of the potential loss.
I know of no one (old or not) that would say to drop collision once the car is paid for. That is stupid - I mean what if you buy your cars in cash?
I think dropping collision is very reasonable if you know that you are below average risk and you can afford the loss.
I considered it but I only pay like $400 a year. I know someone with a DWI that pays $5000. He drives like 5,000 miles a year and because of the DWI, is probably more cautious about alcohol than most. So - I would absolutely drop collision in that case.

I had a BMW M3, and saw a guys drop receiver hitch cartwheeling down the freeway straight towards my car (I was going 80MPH). I ran right over it. I heard it, but didn’t really feel anything. It sounded pretty substantial so I pulled over and the car leaking oil like crazy. I called a tow truck. The car was totaled. It went along under the car, end over end, and broke the steering, smashed in the oil pan all the way to the crankshaft (and damaged it), smashed in the transmission and the rear end. Car looked brand new, didn’t have a scratch, but was a total loss. That was crazy, and I can see how this could happen.

I also almost bought insurance once, and upon final review of the quote noticed collision was declined (which is why it was so cheap). I can see how that can accidentally happen.

Both those happening in the same short period, well...that’s terrible luck.

Yeah, BMW F series cars and their infamous flat mounted oil cooler. yeah, let's put the oil cooler right at the bottom of the car at the very front so if you so much as ride hard over a curb stop, you'll rip the cooler / lines open and immediately lose all your oil. Potentially toasting your engine. Great design BMW.

Sorry this happened to you. Totally freak accident for sure!