Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

22kw Charger advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I recently ordered a Model 3 Performance, hopefully arriving next month.

In the meantime I'm thinking about charging options. I will most likely use the UMC at home, but as I have 3 phase power at my office, I'm going to get a 22kw fast charger installed there. I was looking at this model on Amazon and wondered if anyone has the same model or could suggest some pros/cons/alternatives? A local electrician has quoted to install it already, but I'm interested in some real world experiences.

Thanks very much in advance.

I’ve had a rolec for 9 years for my leaf, and it’s never missed a beat. I quite like the style but that’s personal..
Some early ones had failures (apparently).
As long as it doesn’t have an app or any software you should be fine..
11kw charging at work would be nice!

I believe the Model 3 is limited to 11kW on a three-phase supply so you won't get the benefit of the 22kW, unless there's also a "dual charger" Model S or X around might as well save some cash and get a lower rated one instead.

Tesla Model 3 (2019) Charging Guide | Pod Point
Screen Shot 2019-11-27 at 16.48.25.png

Reactions: MrBadger
That amazon ad looks expensive - here's the same unit for less:
Rolec WallPod EV-Socket SuperFast Charger 18th Edition 32A 22kW 3Phase EVWP2046 | RS Electrical Supplies

Also, beware of buying these Rolec units from random suppliers (eBay even worse), as you might end up with an old model. The old pre-2019 models don't have DC protection built in and so are require an expensive separate RCD to install to modern standards.

Yes, Model 3 can't use the full 22kW - but the equipment isn't noticeably cheaper for 11kW. Current Model S/X can use 18kw, and older Model S who bought the faster charging option (like mine!) can use the full 22kW, so if you have the supply capacity you might as well install 22kW.

However, I agree with the suggestion for the Tesla unit - while it doesn't have the DC protection and so the extra install cost will wipe out the lower list price, it has the advantage that if you install one now on a 22kW supply, you can install a second (or third) one later sharing out the available power between the cars connected. One EV at an office often inspires more purchases...