Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

22s or 20s - Tell me your experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a model S owner but wifey is looking at an X. She currently drives a Lexus RX350. She likes SUV’s because of the height and she absolutely LOVES the X.

We started looking (we are just in the preliminary stages) but other than range, can anyone speak to some of the differences between the 20” wheels or 22”? Ride differences? Handling differences? Aesthetic differences? Is one smoother? Is one quieter?

I believe the RX has 18” wheels so either will be much bigger but I would like to hear some personal experiences. Thanks in advance.

I am a model S owner but wifey is looking at an X. She currently drives a Lexus RX350. She likes SUV’s because of the height and she absolutely LOVES the X.

We started looking (we are just in the preliminary stages) but other than range, can anyone speak to some of the differences between the 20” wheels or 22”? Ride differences? Handling differences? Aesthetic differences? Is one smoother? Is one quieter?

I believe the RX has 18” wheels so either will be much bigger but I would like to hear some personal experiences. Thanks in advance.

Great post- I would love to know too!

Wife drives an RX on 19s I have the X on 22s ...she hates the ride lol..handling better on 22 , aesthetics 22..not sure if u are looking at the new Raven X ..if so my understanding is with new suspension ride is better ;)

Reactions: Struja
The X looks so much better with the 22” wheels. Efficiency takes a hit of course. The new 20” two tone slipstream wheel option on Raven Model X give the illusion of 22” wheels but is way overpriced. Essentially $2000 for some patches of black paint between the spokes. There will likely be some aftermarket vinyl sticker option to achieve the same illusion. That’s what I would do if buying a new X.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
I have both 20s and 22s on our X.

Pro for 20s.
Softer ride
Quieter
5-10% more range
Much less prone to kerbing

Pro for 22s
Looks fab

As your can see aesthetics aside 20s beat 22s hands down.....BUT as humans we are all vain (regardless of how much anyone tries to deny it).

The X doesn't look bad on 20s but on 22s just that bit more sorted. Ours will be on 20s come winter and 22s summer.

Oh your wife is right to LOVE the X, if you have kids its should be the default Tesla you go for....till the Y arrives ;).

33668065668_9795de6788_b_d.jpg

25057811447_2309086b3b_b_d.jpg

22's are better in the looks department. In every other comparison the 20's are better.
20's cost less
Wear better,
Run quieter,
Ride smoother,
Have less flats,
Bend less on pot holes,
Replacement tires cost less.
More choices available with replacements.
Are easier to balance,
Offer a little better curb protection,
Hydroplane less,
Are better off road,
Etc.

I have both on, going from a Lexus to the 22's would not be wise based on experience. The 22's are much more harsh and you feel many more dips and bumps in the surface. I would not say they are significantly louder, a little louder tire noise. If you aren't about appearance and your wife is OK with the 20's, save some coin, enjoy the ride difference. I love the look of the 22's but for everyday driving I would stay away. My opinion only...