Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

'23 X vs '23 Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i meant in front steering wheel X/S
Commonly referred to as the Instrument Cluster Display or ICD. But no, the images are displayed on main screen. That is the right screen to use, IMO. but the blind spot view is in the lower left of the display and not movable on the X. If would be perfect if I could move it to the top of the display, much closer to the line of view of the rear view mirror, plus its view is more closely related to the rear mirror anyway. If it appeared on the ICD, that would require a large move away from the mirror, to check it. Plus it would likely have to cover the Nav Map, which might not be good, when maneuvering around.

Commonly referred to as the Instrument Cluster Display or ICD. But no, the images are displayed on main screen. That is the right screen to use, IMO. but the blind spot view is in the lower left of the display and not movable on the X. If would be perfect if I could move it to the top of the display, much closer to the line of view of the rear view mirror, plus its view is more closely related to the rear mirror anyway. If it appeared on the ICD, that would require a large move away from the mirror, to check it. Plus it would likely have to cover the Nav Map, which might not be good, when maneuvering around.

ICD got it. I've seen some aftermarket ones for 3/Y but not quite the same. I don't miss it as much as I thought I would but that is one of factors that is a + in my X column

So, I've got a 2020 Model Y and a 2022 Model X. Some of the issues between the cars goes out the window because of the changes that have occurred with the Model Y as of late.

What has changed in the Y since 2020: heated steering wheel, a revamped center console, HEPA filter/biohazard mode, AP hardware, 4680 battery cells, revamped suspension off the top of my head.

In the latest Y, you essentially get a more usable package - you're able to install roof racks, have a bit more weight for bikes if you're using the tow hitch without the complexity of the X. You cannot install any roof rack on the X simply because of the design of the falcon wing doors. The ride in the 2020 Y is stiff, but I understand that they've changed it late in 2022 so it's supposed to be better and more comfortable. I have yet to try it, but if it's a serious change it might have swayed me away from the X.

While the X is certainly more comfortable, it's a mixed bag - you can tow more but because of the design of the tow hitch, it actually has a lower weight capacity (160 pounds for the Y, 120 for the X). I've got the 6 seater, so it should be more comfortable overall, however, with the way the seatbelt buckle intrudes into the seat cushion it can make sitting in the middle row uncomfortable. You cannot fold that middle row in the 6 seater either, so if you want to carry a lot of stuff or large things, you might not be able to. In the 7 seater, it's a 60/40 split for the middle row, which means you can't have long objects such as skis in the middle (since you cannot really carry it elsewhere) and still carry 4 passengers unless you split it left or right instead of front vs back. In the Y its a 40/20/40 split. Seats are wider in the X but could use better side bolstering and well as better thigh support. The X is easier to get into and out of, especially with the FWD.

It's better to have the additional Instrument Panel in the X as well as the larger main console screen, but you give up physical stalks that I think are a mistake at this point (FSD really needs to be Level 4 before they did this). It's quirky at best using the turn signals (although the auto cancel is a nice feature), and hate the screen controls for gear selection. I've had too many times where it doesn't engage the gear because it didn't like the way that I swiped it. I've had to swipe up to 3-4 times in a row to finally get it to engage, which when parallel parking on a busy city street is unacceptable. Same thing for the turn signals in that I've hit the wrong button and put on the opposite turn signal - I've never made that mistake when using the stalk controls. The yoke is okay, but it's always a question of what happens in that 1% instance of an emergency maneuver and whether you actually grab the wheel or catch air instead (hit or miss).

So, overall, they're each nice cars but also have compromises to deal with (at least until the suspension is sorted out with the Y). As more competition comes to market, it'll be a harder sell simply because of some simple things Tesla has decided to revamp that nobody asked for.

So, I've got a 2020 Model Y and a 2022 Model X. Some of the issues between the cars goes out the window because of the changes that have occurred with the Model Y as of late.

What has changed in the Y since 2020: heated steering wheel, a revamped center console, HEPA filter/biohazard mode, AP hardware, 4680 battery cells, revamped suspension off the top of my head.

In the latest Y, you essentially get a more usable package - you're able to install roof racks, have a bit more weight for bikes if you're using the tow hitch without the complexity of the X. You cannot install any roof rack on the X simply because of the design of the falcon wing doors. The ride in the 2020 Y is stiff, but I understand that they've changed it late in 2022 so it's supposed to be better and more comfortable. I have yet to try it, but if it's a serious change it might have swayed me away from the X.

While the X is certainly more comfortable, it's a mixed bag - you can tow more but because of the design of the tow hitch, it actually has a lower weight capacity (160 pounds for the Y, 120 for the X). I've got the 6 seater, so it should be more comfortable overall, however, with the way the seatbelt buckle intrudes into the seat cushion it can make sitting in the middle row uncomfortable. You cannot fold that middle row in the 6 seater either, so if you want to carry a lot of stuff or large things, you might not be able to. In the 7 seater, it's a 60/40 split for the middle row, which means you can't have long objects such as skis in the middle (since you cannot really carry it elsewhere) and still carry 4 passengers unless you split it left or right instead of front vs back. In the Y its a 40/20/40 split. Seats are wider in the X but could use better side bolstering and well as better thigh support. The X is easier to get into and out of, especially with the FWD.

It's better to have the additional Instrument Panel in the X as well as the larger main console screen, but you give up physical stalks that I think are a mistake at this point (FSD really needs to be Level 4 before they did this). It's quirky at best using the turn signals (although the auto cancel is a nice feature), and hate the screen controls for gear selection. I've had too many times where it doesn't engage the gear because it didn't like the way that I swiped it. I've had to swipe up to 3-4 times in a row to finally get it to engage, which when parallel parking on a busy city street is unacceptable. Same thing for the turn signals in that I've hit the wrong button and put on the opposite turn signal - I've never made that mistake when using the stalk controls. The yoke is okay, but it's always a question of what happens in that 1% instance of an emergency maneuver and whether you actually grab the wheel or catch air instead (hit or miss).

So, overall, they're each nice cars but also have compromises to deal with (at least until the suspension is sorted out with the Y). As more competition comes to market, it'll be a harder sell simply because of some simple things Tesla has decided to revamp that nobody asked for.

Revamped suspension on Y more "cushy" vs X?. I hate my bumpy 3 on rough roads.

Reactions: TrevTremaine
Revamped suspension on Y more "cushy" vs X?. I hate my bumpy 3 on rough roads.
I just traded in a ‘22 X for a ‘23 Y on 12/30/22 partially because the X trade-in value was very close to what I paid for it and the Y was on sale. I made the right choice despite recent price drops because the X trade value would have also dropped.

Anyway, I don’t notice hardly any difference in the suspension, if anything the X was a little bouncier (set to auto). I previously had a ‘18 M3 so I know about the Tesla’s harsh suspensions, but the Y is very comfortable.

The X is not worth the price difference compared to Y imo, unless of course money is just not an issue!

I just traded in a ‘22 X for a ‘23 Y on 12/30/22 partially because the X trade-in value was very close to what I paid for it and the Y was on sale. I made the right choice despite recent price drops because the X trade value would have also dropped.

Anyway, I don’t notice hardly any difference in the suspension, if anything the X was a little bouncier (set to auto). I previously had a ‘18 M3 so I know about the Tesla’s harsh suspensions, but the Y is very comfortable.

The X is not worth the price difference compared to Y imo, unless of course money is just not an issue!

X prices haven't dropped YET, but you would have a transition period. Price is the key issue since they're the same for '16-18 X vs new Y. Used Y are still in the upper 40's at which point i'd rather buy new with tax credit

Good to know about new Y suspension. I had overnight test drive in Y two years ago, but it felt just like my '19 M3 so I passed. I will try for another overnight test drive if they let me

ICD got it. I've seen some aftermarket ones for 3/Y but not quite the same. I don't miss it as much as I thought I would but that is one of factors that is a + in my X column
I never thought the center mounted display was an issue in the 3 or Y. Many Toyotas (and others) for example, have center mounted displays, with nothing directly in front of the driver.

I have a '21 Y LR and 22 X Plaid and 23 X LR. I compare them in the youtube video below.

I've actually had every single Tesla model except the roadster. 16 Model X 7 seater, 18 X 5 seater, 22 X plaid 6 seater, 23 X LR 5 seater, 18 Model 3 LR, 21 Model Y LR on stock 20, 21 S Plaid on 22s.

I think the Y is great and the best overall value for my needs if money was an issue. That said I think the X is definitely noticeably nicer. The air suspension on the X is noticeably more comfortable as it absorbs the initial bumps. Also the tires are wider so I think that helps with overall comfort and ability to absorb bumps.

The X is also much better in snow or overall wet traction as it is both heavier and in my experience more equally power split between front and rear. I'll go through maybe 2 rear tires on a Y and 3 before my fronts but the wear is more even on the X between front and rear. There is very little slip if any on snow with X vs a little bit more slip on the Y.

I think it is slightly more quiet in my X over the Y.

The 6 seat in the X is much nicer IMHO over the 5 seat in the Y. The cabin overall feels bigger not just because of the 6 seat openness of the car but because of the massive front windshield that goes behind your vision.

The X is overall more comfortable for me for long road trips. The Y is great for zipping around town if you have good roads. It is a little rough in areas with bad roads. I tend to take the Y if I need to do a quick run around town and I take the X when I need to do roadtrips/mostly ski trips.

The rear screen is also awesome for keeping my kids entertained on the longer drives like 4+ hours. I don't let them watch it the entire time but as a reward for behaving I'll let them watch it which makes the drive easier for me.

I also drove my Y across country with my kids and the Y performed great.

Last point is that overall I see less warranty issues with the simpler Teslas the 3 and Y. Every single one of my S and X has/had issues. I think it is lower volume and more complex and thus makes frequent visits to the service center to fix.

I never thought the center mounted display was an issue in the 3 or Y. Many Toyotas (and others) for example, have center mounted displays, with nothing directly in front of the driver.
My old Prius Prime was like this, BUT it had a HUD, something which I found sorely missing when we had our MYLR. I added an instrument screen to it but that was very hard and buggy.

2 screens on our MX is a big benefit for me, but I think the windshield is much too big. We have a shade and heavy tint above where the sun visors go when in use.

Efficiency is the biggest difference. Our old MYLR was much more efficient. Even with 20" wheels our MX is still very thirsty. It hasn't made 200 miles yet, but I hope it can by summer for our road trip. However, I've frequently heard Ravens and Refresh MXs improved considerably in efficiency.

More used X drops. Put in my Y order for tax credit just in case but still shopping till 3/1

X Price decreased Price went down by $10,000 to about what i'm paying for new Y

As someone whos had the old X and new Y, I would no question take a new Y over an old X.

Out of warranty issues
New Y has more range
New car vs old
Better and faster UI/computer
And importantly the old X maxed out at like 150kw charging speed? The Y and new X not only go to 250 but has a taller curve. You will supercharge way faster with a new one vs old on roadtrips

• Informative
Reactions: Falcon73 and vickh
As someone whos had the old X and new Y, I would no question take a new Y over an old X.

Out of warranty issues
New Y has more range
New car vs old
Better and faster UI/computer
And importantly the old X maxed out at like 150kw charging speed? The Y and new X not only go to 250 but has a taller curve. You will supercharge way faster with a new one vs old on roadtrips

I guess the only thing going for the X is style/looks ;)
Warranty I would resolve by buying an aftermarket product or buying thru TSLA
Does Dual charger make a difference for SC speed/curve?

I guess the only thing going for the X is style/looks ;)
Warranty I would resolve by buying an aftermarket product or buying thru TSLA
Does Dual charger make a difference for SC speed/curve?
Yes, for Level 2. You can max it out with the appropriate 240v/80A wall charger, although they don't make them anymore, otherwise it means nought since most only push 240/50A at most. Now, that said, I think there was something said that high charging leads to battery degradation. You'd have to find someone who has this particular combination and ask them if they've seen it.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
Yes, for Level 2. You can max it out with the appropriate 240v/80A wall charger, although they don't make them anymore, otherwise it means nought since most only push 240/50A at most. Now, that said, I think there was something said that high charging leads to battery degradation. You'd have to find someone who has this particular combination and ask them if they've seen it.

Elon poopooed that degradation to speed hypothesis. But I only push 30A at home regardless.

SC is a different animal. There I want the "safest" and fastest charge and my '19 3 SR can do 250Kw but not for long curve. I thought the dual charger would help at SCs too, L2 I don't care about as much

Elon poopooed that degradation to speed hypothesis. But I only push 30A at home regardless.

SC is a different animal. There I want the "safest" and fastest charge and my '19 3 SR can do 250Kw but not for long curve. I thought the dual charger would help at SCs too, L2 I don't care about as much
The dual chargers is for AC-to-DC charging, by my understanding of it. Superchargers are DC-to-DC and thus why the can go at a higher rate - it bypasses the onboard charger. How it all works - still is magic sorcery to me. Onboard Charger

• Funny
The dual chargers is for AC-to-DC charging, by my understanding of it. Superchargers are DC-to-DC and thus why the can go at a higher rate - it bypasses the onboard charger. How it all works - still is magic sorcery to me. Onboard Charger
Further to this, the dual chargers aren't available on newer models, so the idea that it would help, despite that the newer cars can achieve a higher charge rate really means that the onboard charger is bypassed at SCs.

Thanks. That link helped. I think of it as hoses of water.

I guess i'll have to wait longer and more often at SCs with an older X. When did they update/refresh ?

It's coming down to a practical vs looks/space decision...

Thanks. That link helped. I think of it as hoses of water.

I guess i'll have to wait longer and more often at SCs with an older X. When did they update/refresh ?

It's coming down to a practical vs looks/space decision...
I think the change happened some point in 2018. I had the dual chargers in my 2017 S, which only came to use at a couple of chargers somewhere deep in NJ. Otherwise, I never really had an opportunity to exploit it as there are few 80A Destination chargers around.

• Informative