Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

'23 X vs '23 Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the change happened some point in 2018. I had the dual chargers in my 2017 S, which only came to use at a couple of chargers somewhere deep in NJ. Otherwise, I never really had an opportunity to exploit it as there are few 80A Destination chargers around.

GTK I agree dual chargers seem pretty useless you have access to 80A.

My question is which model year X would I look for if I wanted the faster SC speeds. 2018+ as well?

I think the change happened some point in 2018. I had the dual chargers in my 2017 S, which only came to use at a couple of chargers somewhere deep in NJ. Otherwise, I never really had an opportunity to exploit it as there are few 80A Destination chargers around.
Actually the normal configuration is two chargers, 24 amps each. My 2018 had three, for 72 amps max. I think I only got 72 amps a few times overnight in a hotel.

I wired my home garage with a 60 amp circuit, using two Gen2 Wall Connectors, since we have two cars. The Gen2s are configured for load sharing (wired), which works great. Both my X and 3 charge at 48 amps. Most nights, less than an hour or two each.

Actually the normal configuration is two chargers, 24 amps each. My 2018 had three, for 72 amps max. I think I only got 72 amps a few times overnight in a hotel.

I wired my home garage with a 60 amp circuit, using two Gen2 Wall Connectors, since we have two cars. The Gen2s are configured for load sharing (wired), which works great. Both my X and 3 charge at 48 amps. Most nights, less than an hour or two each.
The 3x72 amp chargers were available after years of 2x40 amp chargers being available in the S and X. My first S had 2x40...and I used more than 40....once.

This is a thread on the onboard charger from a few years ago: Current onboard charger in S and X?

I think other manufacturers are giving it a go with higher amperage chargers - although I don't rightly remember which ones. I think Nio or Ford or GM.

This is a thread on the onboard charger from a few years ago: Current onboard charger in S and X?

I think other manufacturers are giving it a go with higher amperage chargers - although I don't rightly remember which ones. I think Nio or Ford or GM.
None actually. It is just not practical to equip vehicles with high amperage AC chargers. For a couple reasons, first it raises the degree of difficulty significantly to install a circuit over 60 amps (charge up to 48 amps). Second, it rarely, if ever, is needed for normal charging. It generally takes less than a couple hours to charge my car. Even if I arrive home with less than 10% in the tank, it only takes roughly six hours or so to bring my car up to my nominal value of 75%. Yes, I was happy with my 2018 and its 72 amp max. But I hardly ever used it.

None actually. It is just not practical to equip vehicles with high amperage AC chargers. For a couple reasons, first it raises the degree of difficulty significantly to install a circuit over 60 amps (charge up to 48 amps). Second, it rarely, if ever, is needed for normal charging. It generally takes less than a couple hours to charge my car. Even if I arrive home with less than 10% in the tank, it only takes roughly six hours or so to bring my car up to my nominal value of 75%. Yes, I was happy with my 2018 and its 72 amp max. But I hardly ever used it.

almost no reason to have that in home b/c overnight. I would like it for quick public destination type chargers

Reactions: henderrj
Revamped suspension on Y more "cushy" vs X?. I hate my bumpy 3 on rough roads.
23mxp is much rougher ride than 23 MYP. I have both, the Y is a good car. The x is a luxury car that you fall in love with. And the acceleration woth the new pricing is well worth it. 0-100 on just about any on-ramp. Accelerates from 80-130 faster than the y feels going 0-80.

Reactions: vickh
OK, so Ford does: Ford Charge Station Pro

GM does: Home Charging for Electric Vehicles | Chevrolet

Nio does: NIO Power | NIO

Porsche does: Porsche Wall Charger Connect | PORSCHE SHOP

These all manufacturers have chargers that go to 72/80 amps. Tesla is notable in that they've removed that option. I don't rightly know the sales figures, but they're out there on the sales floor.

I agree that faster chargers can be complicated and expensive to add to houses depending upon what's run to the house. Now, while I never needed it myself (nor had it configured for it), it's also a matter of case for case. I know some in this forum who live by it as they drive enough distance daily to want it. Certainly daisy chaining units together makes sense when you've got multiple cars and drive shorter distances.

Our 2014 Model S had the dual chargers, 80 amp. We did wire a 100 amp circuit and use the Gen 2 wall charger which gave us that amount of charging speed. We used it every week. I had to leave at 6:00 in the morning on Sundays and my son got home from his work at between 3:00 and 4:00 on saturdays. With the 80 amp charging, the car was ready when I was. Fortunately, neither of us work those hours anymore. (Although I miss his helping to pay the cost of the car!)

There were only a handful of times beyond that when it was helpful. I always thought commercial users would have found it a great improvement though. Car rental places, police departments, that sort of thing.

• Informative
Reactions: TrevTremaine
I paid for dual chargers on my old X and paid extra to install 80a charger. At the end of the day it wasn’t needed as the level 2 charge speed at night was plenty.

Supercharger speeds on the road is where it is at for long road trips. The difference between a 10 minute stop vs 30

Reactions: Richbot