Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

235 mile trip - S75D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all. Picking up my new car next week and immediately after picking it up, I need to drive 235 miles without stopping really.

I've asked the SC to charge to 100%, and I know it theoretically has 259 miles from 100%, but am I pushing it too much to expect that it will be able to do 235 miles from it's first full charge?

I know weather can impact things, but how bad do things need to get before I'm not going to make it to my destination?

It will be motorway driving all the way, so is 70 mph again going to make this unachievable?

Thanks all.

It will be motorway driving all the way, so is 70 mph again going to make this unachievable?

Thanks all.
unless you drive at a speed lower than 70 MPH, you will probably not make it. slow down and you have a shot at arriving at close to 0 range left. headwinds and rain will have severe impact on your range. try to locate a place to charge enroute

Thanks guys, I really want to hear from someone with a S75D though to give me a realistic idea of my chances of making it 235 miles from 100% (obviously weather/traffic/speed dependent).
It won't matter if a person with an S75D responds. Driving conditions are far more important that car similarity.

You can make the trip, but you may not make it if you "just drive". As stated earlier, you'll need to watch your consumption and vary your speed / AC / etc. in order to arrive. Last time I was "in a pickle".. I needed to drive 70 miles and the nav system told me I'd arrive with -1% battery. I drove very conservatively, (might have drafted a bit behind a semi... might), turned off the A/C. When I arrived at the SC I had 4% battery left. For the last 10 miles I knew I'd make it and turned the A/C back on much to the linking of my family.

-Jim

You are right on the edge of comfort for me. (75X)

If you set navigation for your final destination, your computer will warn you towards the end if you need to slow down to make it.

Important will be elevation changes, temperatures, load in the car, rain, speed. Traffic or slowing for construction will give you some additional range.

Your car will get a little better range after it breaks in and the tires also need to brake in.

If you can stop long enough to just get an extra 20 miles of range at a charger, that could make all the differenc.

Best of luck on this trip. That will also help (a little)

It won't matter if a person with an S75D responds. Driving conditions are far more important that car similarity.

You can make the trip, but you may not make it if you "just drive". As stated earlier, you'll need to watch your consumption and vary your speed / AC / etc. in order to arrive. Last time I was "in a pickle".. I needed to drive 70 miles and the nav system told me I'd arrive with -1% battery. I drove very conservatively, (might have drafted a bit behind a semi... might), turned off the A/C. When I arrived at the SC I had 4% battery left. For the last 10 miles I knew I'd make it and turned the A/C back on much to the linking of my family.

-Jim
FWIW: energy consumption by using the AC system is minimal.

Enter your destination, open the Energy app, go to the Trip tab, and keep an eye on the graph -- it has been accurate for me. Also, I've found speeds over 75mph will start eating away at your range significantly.

Hi all. Picking up my new car next week and immediately after picking it up, I need to drive 235 miles without stopping really.

I've asked the SC to charge to 100%, and I know it theoretically has 259 miles from 100%, but am I pushing it too much to expect that it will be able to do 235 miles from it's first full charge?

I know weather can impact things, but how bad do things need to get before I'm not going to make it to my destination?

Thanks all.

Pretty stressful way to collect and celebrate a new car!

Reactions: mrElbe
Thanks again guys. The temp in the uk won't be too hot so the aircon needn't be on.

Rain is a possibility so I'll watch out for that.

It's typical that there's no supercharger on my way (the nearest is that 235 miles away one where I'm heading). There's no real possibility of charging before that either.

I guess it's slow then. Until I hit that supercharger then I can let fly lol!

Do the following

- Drive under speed limit without annoying too many folks (50-55mph)
- Dont use the A/C if possible, use low fan speeds
- Reduce display brightness to minimum (does anyone know if we can put it into cleaning mode when moving, that might be best)
- Use Range mode
- Dont load up the car with any additional weight if possible
- Try to not punch through with the accelerator as tempting as it may be with the torque
- Use regen braking effectively, notice changes up front in advance and use regen gently to slow down at a lower rate first and then release to use max regen to come to a near halt

IMO you should be able to do the distance without too much difficulty with the above.

Also are you certain that there are NO charging stations whatsoever, need not be a supercharger, there will be other slower third party charging options available, even if it takes much longer its a back up plan work working into your route just in case.

I've done 243 in a single go avg driving speed 68mph. PA to upstate NY. Mountains. Winds. No biggie. Just set TACC and keep distance to avoid unnecessary braking. The car is very efficient with the dual motors (enable range mode to get maximum torque sleep). Then just drive and look at the energy meter to ensure you are below 285wh/mi on a 30 mile average. This will ensure you get rated (which at 100% will realistically be 255/256 miles). If you are in the UK you might luck out and have a software locked 85kwh battery pack which will ensure your 100% is easy to charge to.

I also did 213 when my car was a 60D. If you've had an EV before or hypermiled an ICE, you'll be fine.

Thanks again guys. The temp in the uk won't be too hot so the aircon needn't be on.

Rain is a possibility so I'll watch out for that.

It's typical that there's no supercharger on my way (the nearest is that 235 miles away one where I'm heading). There's no real possibility of charging before that either.

I guess it's slow then. Until I hit that supercharger then I can let fly lol!

Like others have mentioned, you will really be pushing it. You will be quite stressed the whole time. What is the terrain like? Mostly flat? What temperature?

Definitely don't use the heat. AC as some have mentioned is very minimal usage but I would still avoid it if you can (every little bit will help). Don't even go 70mph if you want to stretch it out. Stay at like 55mph or less.

I don't know how trained you are at driving an EV but if you haven't before, you will want to learn quickly how to drive properly....looking far ahead to avoid accelerating more than needed (like in preparation to stopping or coming to a red light/stop sign). Unnecessary acceleration when you have to stop a block ahead, are the type of driving habits that will kill your range.

Even if there is no SC stations on the route, if you can stop for a break somewhere that has a lvl 2 charger would make a wolrd of difference to just take 1-2 hours break and give you a bit more breathing room.

Reactions: IdaX and teddytoons
If you can get behind a lorrie for most of the trip, the drop in air resistance will substantially boost your mileage. The folks who have a YouTube channel called "Like Tesla" were able to experience that phenomenon. That's a mighty big "IF" unless you know that this route is popular for moving freight.o_O

If you can get behind a lorrie for most of the trip, the drop in air resistance will substantially boost your mileage. The folks who have a YouTube channel called "Like Tesla" were able to experience that phenomenon. That's a mighty big "IF" unless you know that this route is popular for moving freight.o_O

LOL, yup. I've drafted off of 18-wheelers in various ICEs, and the improvement in mileage you get is substantial. You don't even have to be super-close, either.

Only prob is that the view sucks...