Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

235 mile trip - S75D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an S75D. The range you get is a function of your speed and related route parameters like elevation gain and wind, and even your HVAC, though the effect of that isn't as prominent as the speed you drive at. I usually do ~70-75mph , and use approx 1.05-1.1x more than actual range If you do 65 or so and the route is flat, you should be able to make it with perhaps. When I need to get somewhere and I'm cutting it close on range, slowing down is the first option. I also second the earlier suggestion of EVtripplanner.

Check your route on EV Trip Planner, its pretty accurate.
EV Trip Planner
Agree that EV Trip Planner has been very accurate when estimating range for my 75D.

For what it's worth, having had my 75D for almost a year now, I would feel comfortable driving that distance with a 100% charge, assuming no significant elevation change and you follow the good advice of previous replies. The advertised 259 miles of total range has been pretty accurate in my case.

I've asked the SC to charge to 100%, and I know it theoretically has 259 miles from 100%...

Hi. You should expect to see 239 miles range at 100% charge because Tesla cars outside of North America don't display EPA rated range. Instead, they display a range unit called Typical range. Typical range is always less than EPA rated range and it is closer to real world range. Typical range was created by Tesla and it is used in all Tesla cars outside North America.

Instead of 239 mi, you might also see 304 mi. This would mean, the car is set to NEDC rated range. In that case, switch to Typical range in the settings menu. Nobody uses NEDC rated range because it is too unrealistic.

The average efficiency of a Model S 75D in Europe is 316 Wh/mi. The 75 kWh pack has 72,600 Wh usable capacity. That means average range is 72,600 Wh/ 316Wh/mi= 230 miles.

Last edited:
Hi all. Picking up my new car next week and immediately after picking it up, I need to drive 235 miles without stopping really.

I've asked the SC to charge to 100%, and I know it theoretically has 259 miles from 100%, but am I pushing it too much to expect that it will be able to do 235 miles from it's first full charge?

I know weather can impact things, but how bad do things need to get before I'm not going to make it to my destination?

It will be motorway driving all the way, so is 70 mph again going to make this unachievable?

Thanks all.
It might, but I wouldn't try. For example, for my 70D the EPA is 230 miles. But in actual miles often come out to be around 190/200 due to all sort of reasons (i.e: weight, air wind resistance, AC on/off, etc).

Getting more than rated miles is challenging. Speed/acceleration/regen is by far the biggest factor.

Travel at 60mph or under and set autopilot behind a big box truck/semi/lory whatever you call it and you MIGHT make it. Drafting a truck makes a TON of difference but you run the risk of debris being thrown up and damaging your car. I also find truck drivers get annoyed pretty quickly if you just sit behind them.

If you have a head wind or if it rains heavily you're totally F'd. Look for a L2 charger somewhere, grab a meal, and relax for about an hour.

Have you checked out the Ecotricity network in the UK? They have Chademo DC chargers which are like a slower version of Superchargers but still fast. You need Tesla's Chademo adapter. I think Tesla sells them at service centers in the UK instead of online. This Youtube channel has a few videos about Ecotricity chargers.

Chiming in regarding drafting behind a semi truck. I have a S75, and was driving up the NJ Turnpike last weekend (sunny, and not really windy). I had plenty of range, but I had never kept track of the consumption when drafting, and I wasn't in a hurry so I changed my energy display to "last 5 miles" and got behind a semi doing about 60-65mph. I had autopilot on most of the time, with a following distance of 3 cars (so I wouldn't have people try to get in between). The average gradually dropped from the initial 330wh/mi or so to 240 (might have even been a little lower) in the 10-15 miles that I stayed behind the semi.
I was a little nervous about getting a rock chip the whole time, but was able to verify for myself that it is effective.

• Informative
Reactions: KidDoc
You can make that trip unless it is freezing or pouring rain or large elevation changes. As mentioned keep your wh/mi under 290 if at all possible. Speeds > 75 MPH chew battery very quickly. If I was doing this trip I would set the cruise control for 55-60 mph, range mode, AC @ 75 or so, and be slow with acceleration. Evtriplanner is great but I've found the in car system to be very accurate if you keep the wh/mi close to 290. The main downside to the in car system is that you cannot input multiple destinations.

It might, but I wouldn't try. For example, for my 70D the EPA is 230 miles. But in actual miles often come out to be around 190/200 due to all sort of reasons (i.e: weight, air wind resistance, AC on/off, etc).
Been there, done that. I've done 235 mi in my 70D. As others have said, no heat or AC, start out slow, use the nav energy estimate and watch whether you are above or below the plan. As you get closer and see that you'll have plenty of energy, then you can speed up or turn on AC.

Whoa... rain impacts range?

How much, and why?

1) Temp. Rainy days are often below the optimum temperature for peak output for lithium batteries, and cold air has more drag.
2) Wind. Rain is often combined with wind. A headwind OR crosswind will negatively impact range. A lot.
3) Air mass as it relates to aerodynamics. While humidity makes air lighter, liquid drops make it much heavier. Ask a motorcyclist.
4) Ground resistance. Energy is never lost. If your tire must push water to the side to touch the pavement, that will absorb energy.
5) Tire design. Tires have the least rolling resistance when they are warm. Water is an excellent coolant. Cold tires get worse range.

Did I miss any?

How much is tough. 10%. But heavy rain with standing water and a headwind at 5°C and all bets are off. Light rain and a tailwind, you might break even.

1) Temp. Rainy days are often below the optimum temperature for peak output for lithium batteries, and cold air has more drag.
2) Wind. Rain is often combined with wind. A headwind OR crosswind will negatively impact range. A lot.
3) Air mass as it relates to aerodynamics. While humidity makes air lighter, liquid drops make it much heavier. Ask a motorcyclist.
4) Ground resistance. Energy is never lost. If your tire must push water to the side to touch the pavement, that will absorb energy.
5) Tire design. Tires have the least rolling resistance when they are warm. Water is an excellent coolant. Cold tires get worse range.

Did I miss any?

How much is tough. 10%. But heavy rain with standing water and a headwind at 5°C and all bets are off. Light rain and a tailwind, you might break even.
Yup, heavy rain can have a huge impact, worst mileage I've ever seen in my wife's Prius was driving through an extra-tropical cyclone from Vancouver BC to Portland OR. 29MPG instead of the normal 45, average speed about 60MPH.