Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

235 mile trip - S75D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
youre gonna get pretty damn close/pushing it. is there no where you can charge up another 20miles or so? level 2 charger will work.

Yeah, I'd map out the available Level 2 sites on the route near a nice place to stop for an hour or so. Make sure you have them show you how to use the adapter. If there is CHAdeMO on the route, you might see if you can buy the adapter before your trip. CHAdeMO is much faster.

Reactions: Troy
Not sure why somebody decided to downvote my message at #25 but everything I wrote there is factual and can be checked easily. These are the range units Tesla uses:

North America:
  • EPA rated range (This is the advertised range and most commonly used range in North America)
  • Ideal range
Outside of North America:
  • NEDC rated range (This is the advertised range outside of North America. Check out Tesla.com by changing the country selection in the footer)
  • Typical range (This is the most commonly used range outside of North America. For example, in all Bjorn videos, this is the range unit you see.)
Typical range or NEDC rated range is not available in North America. EPA rated range or Ideal range is not available outside of North America. Tesla does not publish Typical range numbers anywhere but they are available in battery surveys etc. I have the numbers for all Model S and X versions. As for the available battery capacity of different pack sizes, the numbers were reported here for 60, 70, 75, 85 and 90 kWh packs and here for the 100 kWh pack.

The OP mentioned 259 mi range for the Model S 75D but because the OP is from the UK, he is not going to see 259 mi range when he picks up his new car. He will see 239 mi Typical range at 100% charge. That's a good thing. Typical range is better than EPA rated range because it is more realistic which is why Tesla created it.

@croman, I added you to my ignore list.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: dhanson865
So you are telling me (i.e. yourself) that you are going to get a brand new 75D that goes 0-60 in 4.2 seconds and drive it 235 miles from the store and not slam on the acceleration once!?!?

That is self control. I did it coming out of the stores drive way. Then 6 more times before the first traffic light.

Find yourself a slow charger on the way and don't torture yourself!

Also I understand it is bad for long term battery capacity to run it below 10%.

• Funny
Reactions: Lu Ann
Do the following

- Drive under speed limit without annoying too many folks (50-55mph)
- Dont use the A/C if possible, use low fan speeds
- Reduce display brightness to minimum (does anyone know if we can put it into cleaning mode when moving, that might be best)
- Use Range mode
- Dont load up the car with any additional weight if possible
- Try to not punch through with the accelerator as tempting as it may be with the torque
- Use regen braking effectively, notice changes up front in advance and use regen gently to slow down at a lower rate first and then release to use max regen to come to a near halt

IMO you should be able to do the distance without too much difficulty with the above.

Also are you certain that there are NO charging stations whatsoever, need not be a supercharger, there will be other slower third party charging options available, even if it takes much longer its a back up plan work working into your route just in case.

^^ this is perfect advice. I think you'll be ok if 100% charged. Enter the destination in the car's navi - in my opinion the % battery life left on the gage in the navi is extremely accurate - while u drive keep a close eye on that percentage. If the goal is 7% make sure it doesn't drop from that (if it does shut down the A/C for example mid-way and drive slower). Keep it around or below 55 - it's going to depend if its level road or not but the car's navi seems to accurately figure that in. (75D AP2).

Take your home charger wtih you and the accessories and Also get the plugshare app. THere's bound to be an outlet somewhere on your trip if it turns out ur not gonna make it and worse case scenario you can plug into a 110v standard outlet for a slow charge. Range mode MUST be ON and standard regen braking. Avoid heated seats.

Find yourself a slow charger on the way and don't torture yourself!
worse case scenario you can plug into a 110v standard outlet for a slow charge.

Slow chargers are most likely not needed. The UK is a small country full of Chademo chargers that are perfectly located at highway rest stop stations. The OP should have started this thread in the UK section of the forum instead of the Model S section. OP, check out the map here. Also, buy the Chademo adapter if you are going to make similar trips.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: dhanson865
Whoa... rain impacts range?

How much, and why?
It depends on how much it's raining and how well drained the road is. I'm assuming it's due to increased rolling resistance. I was surprised the first time I experienced it.

As to the original question - once you are used to the car you could probably make it at normal speeds. It seems very risky to do this on your first day. If you make it you will still be down pretty low and it will be stressful. There's got to be a level 2 charger somewhere along the way that you could spend even just 30 minutes at and pick up enough range to make this more comfortable.

Try running this trip through a good trip planner and see. You can do this right now before getting the car.

Alternatively see if there's a back road that runs about 50 mph and run it through a trip planner and see if that will do it.

Just drove an S75D 3000 miles from new England to Florida and back, with kids and luggage. Several times arrived at superchargers with <20 miles remaining after skipping a charger. Trust the nav system to be very conservative. I frequently ignored the"keep it below 60mph" warnings without an issue. Not that very high speeds are ok but 70-75 is fine. I took a trip on delivery day as well. Arrived at a supercharger with 9 miles remaining because a 240 charger was unexpectedly full. That was stressful but really demonstrated that the nav system range estimates are trustworthy.