Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

24 chargers in downtown Barrie parkade

MarcoRP

Sep 6, 2017
Canada
A814B3A5-F109-468E-96F4-033B892EB6F1.png
12 Tesla HPWCs and 12 J1772s. Why in the world? Are they gonna have another Supercharger in Barrie or what?

HugoBoss

Aug 4, 2017
Kleinburgh
Its pretty obvious why they are doing this. Its the halfway point between Toronto and Muskoka. Especially during long weekends when the drive up there takes twice as long. Businesses want in on the action

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric

rypalmer

Aug 22, 2014
Canada
Its pretty obvious why they are doing this. Its the halfway point between Toronto and Muskoka. Especially during long weekends when the drive up there takes twice as long. Businesses want in on the action
Why would you L2 charge in Barrie if Supercharging was so readily available?

• Helpful

anicolao

Sep 4, 2015
Canada

Possibly this is the reasoning but it'd be dead wrong. As someone who drives up to Muskoka every weekend from Waterloo, and always via Barrie whether taking the back roads or main roads, I'd note that:

(a) with Google maps navigation, traffic rarely adds more than 30 minutes to the drive (which is already 3h long for me);
(b) during the spring, summer, and fall months no charge is needed even though the trip is 294km
(c) even when we do need to charge (during the winter) we'd never bother with a destination charger. I've only ever seen one or two others at the small supercharger in barrie, and if it was busy you'd just hop right back on the 400 and stop at the 20 stall location.

It's great that Barrie has all that charging, but I wonder if part of it is the mayor trying to change Barrie's image. Presumably some not insignificant amount of the housing market there is being driven by Toronto folk willing to live far out of town, and in that Barrie competes with Milton, Guelph, Cambridge, and even KW for those homeowners. If Barrie is seen to be where Tesla ownership is a thing, perhaps that improves its place in the competition to attract residents.

P.S. It's frustrating/sad that I have to run Google maps navigation to avoid the traffic, when Tesla nav uses the same data; but unfortunately Google makes better decisions than Tesla nav by a noticeable margin for avoiding traffic.

Phillip L

Gas Passer
Mar 31, 2015
Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
Just a clarification. PlugShare says 16 Tesla chargers and 8 J772’s. Still 24 total.

I am impressed that Barrie is so ahead of the curve. The more ubiquitous that people see chargers, the more likely ev adoption will accelerate. Wish this would be happening everywhere.

• Love

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC