Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

24 hours left to confirm order: 2014 low mileage CPO 85/P85 vs brand new 60D w/ AP 2.0 hardware?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Title says it all. Thanks in advance to all those who want to throw in their $0.02.

After long nights of number crunching, this is the choice I face.

The price of a relatively low mileage 2014 CPO 85 or P85 is roughly equal to that of a brand new 60D after tax credit and CA rebate. AP 2.0 not activated yet, I can do that later if I want to, once the kinks are straightened.

I am heavily leaning towards the new 60D, already put an order in on Monday and it will get locked in unless I make a last minute change Monday morning.

Thoughts?

On a side note, wouldn't you expect current non-AP2.0 inventory cars to be cheaper? It seems a bit silly that there are no deals on these AP1.0 vehicles whatsoever.

Gotcha. I knew about the 60 to 75 upgrade, just didn't realize he was referring to that. I'm pretty much counting on the fact that you can charge the 60 to 100% without worrying about battery degradation.

I am not sure how I'll feel about the Autopilot feature. But part of the reason I switched to a new 60 is the recent AP2.0 announcement, which I hope will help keep value longer.

Gotcha. I knew about the 60 to 75 upgrade, just didn't realize he was referring to that. I'm pretty much counting on the fact that you can charge the 60 to 100% without worrying about battery degradation.

I am not sure how I'll feel about the Autopilot feature. But part of the reason I switched to a new 60 is the recent AP2.0 announcement, which I hope will help keep value longer.
Oh yeah, duh. I forgot about that 100% trick on the 60 kWh. Disregard that part of my statement. :)

Out of curiosity, how about the VIN number or link of a CPO you're comparing it to.

The self-driving feature could be a bust or could be a game changer. If you keep your car long enough you would be disappointed to have passed on the option. Either way, the enhanced driving will be great.

There has been enough talk on this forum about charging the 60D to 100% so no worry about that.

I would go with the AP 2.0 and not give it another thought, unless you want the P85 for the much higher "fun" factor the big rear motor gives, you need the bigger frunk and extra range.

Good luck. You will enjoy either one.

Last edited:
Wouldn't the P85 retain it's value longer than the 60D since it already lost a big chunk of its initial value? The 60D is no doubt a great car but after getting a taste of the P85 performance, I don't think I could personally go back to a non P model. The 60D still is a fast car by any means.... depends on your priorities!

60D. For most other manufacturers, a used car is equivalent to a new car, just heavily discounted. That's why I always bought used, until my Tesla. Tesla has changed the used car-buying calculus with their pace of innovation. Older Teslas are essentially different cars, and not as desirable.