TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

24 hours left to confirm order: 2014 low mileage CPO 85/P85 vs brand new 60D w/ AP 2.0 hardware?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by JimmyMcNulty, Oct 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. JimmyMcNulty

JimmyMcNulty Member

Title says it all. Thanks in advance to all those who want to throw in their $0.02.

After long nights of number crunching, this is the choice I face.

The price of a relatively low mileage 2014 CPO 85 or P85 is roughly equal to that of a brand new 60D after tax credit and CA rebate. AP 2.0 not activated yet, I can do that later if I want to, once the kinks are straightened.

I am heavily leaning towards the new 60D, already put an order in on Monday and it will get locked in unless I make a last minute change Monday morning.

Thoughts?

On a side note, wouldn't you expect current non-AP2.0 inventory cars to be cheaper? It seems a bit silly that there are no deals on these AP1.0 vehicles whatsoever.

2. eyespii

eyespii Member

Take the new 60d. AP 2.0.

3. Footer

Footer Member

Get the 60D. You can push the range up to the same as the S85 in the future.

Might be some Inventory discounts in December.

4. JimmyMcNulty

JimmyMcNulty Member

Thank you both.

Footer, mind elaborating on how to push the range up to the same as 85 in the future?

5. rfmurphy81

rfmurphy81 Member

The 60 kWh cars actually have a 75 kWh battery that you can upgrade remotely to add more range.

+1 for 60D if you're able to live with that range at 50-90% of the battery and foresee wanting to use the enhanced autopilot features.

6. JimmyMcNulty

JimmyMcNulty Member

Gotcha. I knew about the 60 to 75 upgrade, just didn't realize he was referring to that. I'm pretty much counting on the fact that you can charge the 60 to 100% without worrying about battery degradation.

I am not sure how I'll feel about the Autopilot feature. But part of the reason I switched to a new 60 is the recent AP2.0 announcement, which I hope will help keep value longer.

7. rfmurphy81

rfmurphy81 Member

Oh yeah, duh. I forgot about that 100% trick on the 60 kWh. Disregard that part of my statement. :)

8. ciparis

ciparis gunter

I'd stick with the 60D order, and wouldn't think twice. Great upgradeable car.

9. No2DinosaurFuel

No2DinosaurFuel Active Member

60D hands down. It might be slightly more compare to the CPO after everything but you'll appreciate all the new stuff the original model s didn't have.

10. Footer

Footer Member

Out of curiosity, how about the VIN number or link of a CPO you're comparing it to.

The self-driving feature could be a bust or could be a game changer. If you keep your car long enough you would be disappointed to have passed on the option. Either way, the enhanced driving will be great.

There has been enough talk on this forum about charging the 60D to 100% so no worry about that.

11. davidc18

davidc18 Active Member

#11 davidc18, Oct 30, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
    I would go with the AP 2.0 and not give it another thought, unless you want the P85 for the much higher "fun" factor the big rear motor gives, you need the bigger frunk and extra range.

Good luck. You will enjoy either one.

12. deonb

deonb Supporting Member

Wait - that's not necessarily true.

Last evidence we have says that you can't do this:
    https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/1718242/

(unless @Ingineer posted additional findings on another thread that I'm not aware of?).

13. steve841

steve841 Active Member

The little updates make the newer car a worthy pick ....

14. ShockOnT

ShockOnT Quickish

Def the 60D

15. tstafford

tstafford Supporting Member

60D w/o hesitation

16. wesley888

wesley888 Member

I would get the 60D as well. Able to charge to 100% without worry is the best part. Plus AP2. :)

17. Ormond

Ormond Member

I'd get the 60D also. If you're not in a hurry you could wait and see if there are any big discounts on new inventory (version 1.0) cars in December.

18. Nick B

Nick B Member

Wouldn't the P85 retain it's value longer than the 60D since it already lost a big chunk of its initial value? The 60D is no doubt a great car but after getting a taste of the P85 performance, I don't think I could personally go back to a non P model. The 60D still is a fast car by any means.... depends on your priorities!

• Like x 2
  19. Noneduck

Noneduck Member

60D. For most other manufacturers, a used car is equivalent to a new car, just heavily discounted. That's why I always bought used, until my Tesla. Tesla has changed the used car-buying calculus with their pace of innovation. Older Teslas are essentially different cars, and not as desirable.

20. Model S M.D.

Model S M.D. Ludicrous Radiologist

60D, wouldn't even think twice.