Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

24 Months of Model 3 - How is Reliability?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model 3 has been in customer hands for about 2 years now. How are these cars holding up mechanically? From my observation of my personal car (16 months) and what I have observed from other's cars online it seems like Model 3 is extremely robust mechanically.

Are there any documented examples of problems with the drivetrain or other mechanical parts?

• Informative
Reactions: strykeroz
Model 3 has been in customer hands for about 2 years now. How are these cars holding up mechanically? From my observation of my personal car (16 months) and what I have observed from other's cars online it seems like Model 3 is extremely robust mechanically.

Are there any documented examples of problems with the drivetrain or other mechanical parts?
have

I have had my model 3 for 17 months. (24,000 miles) and have had no issues. Love my model 3. Ken

• Informative
Reactions: strykeroz
18 months and 14k miles, no issues.

Consumer Reports had said there were early problems (mostly cosmetic), but just recently said they are now good enough to recommend again. TrueDelta and a recent 5,000-customer survey from a business magazine (the name escapes me now) show similar improvement. They said less than 1 problem per car in the first 30 days.

That said, there have been a few people reporting drivetrain issues, but given the number of cars sold, it sure hasn't been many.

06/18 LR RWD. Two visits to the ServiceCenter: one for first tire rotation and a service bulletin adjusting frunk latch, second for small body work touch up from parking lot rash and another service bulletin replacing charge port pins. So yeah, pretty reliable for me.

Or, for the glass-half-empty crowd, this is the worst vehicle on earth. I’ve had 24 cars in my life and not one of them had to have a frunk latch adjusted, nor charging pins replaced. And why can’t they use self-healing paint? And for the love of everything motorized, and after well over a century in development, why oh why do I have to rotate tires today?

I’ll close the door on my way out.

There are examples of drive unit failures posted here, but not a lot. (My neighbor had his fail on his 3).

My 2017 car has had two charge port door failures, and a very smelly AC that seems to be non-fixable despite multiple cabin filter changes, HVAC cleanings, etc. I have mobile service coming out next week for a brake cleaning service since my brakes are squeaky at low speeds, and I haven’t been able to correct it myself. Overall, my 3 has been much more reliable than our S.

I am at my 1 year anniversary and was one of the lucky ones to have error that my car couldn't charge to 100 percent at 5 months of ownership with 2900 miles. My car ran fine but couldn't charge it at all with any chargers. Tesla said in paperwork internal fault in the High Voltage battery and my battery was replaced and car works perfectly. No other issues. Things happen and still love the car. Below is my thread on issue

Notification that battery cannot charge to 100%

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Lots of good info/data here:
Bloomberg - 2019 Tesla Model 3 Survey

As an example from the above link:
Screenshot_2019-11-16-08-30-42-1.png

Reactions: pipestem
For what it’s worth, April 2018 LR RWD with just over 17k miles and I feel it’s been extremely reliable.

I have had a couple minor issues (charge port door and deadfront PINs) that were easily and quickly resolved while in for other things such as tire rotations but I’ve also, recently, had the drive unit fail. Even that issue, as frustrating as it was, happened without much drama since I was in a parking lot at a supercharger rather than on he road. Besides not having my car, the only downside was the timing of the part and communication, as we all know, from Tesla.

I’ve spent so little time and money on general maintenance, operating costs, and teething problems that, when all is said and done, it outshines every ICE vehicle I’ve owned.

Reactions: bnsfengineer
You tend to hear about problems on car forums, and just reading this site over the last year, there's been nothing consistent. Just random PM motor failures, and some batteries from last Summer that didn't have all the wires connected so some people had less capacity. There's the undertray coming off in water issue. But nothing really mechanical that I can think of.