Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

240 in the garage. cost?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Peelz

Budding EV fanatic.
Apr 10, 2021
SE Iowa, the armpit.
So we ordered the Y, I figured Id just run a outlet to the garage, a nema 14-50. I bought all the stuff, even went with 6 gauge wire. Ive done this before adding a dryer in two houses, but im no pro.

It just needs to run up the wall and across my family room(originally the garage) and down into the NOW garage. its about 14 ft straight line, 25 ft of wire. Seemed simple, so I Crawled in the attic then I chickened out! lol tight fit, have to go through insulation, and I have crap tools. Charging a nearly 60k dollar car, Ill let the pros do it. Its different thana drying clothes.

I have called two companies for quotes. the car is delayed longer than i thought so there's no hurry. Im curious: its only a 100 amp box. breakers on it add up to over a hundred as it is i think. (never use that much and Ill only be charging at night around 28-30 amps)

I'm sort of nervous one of the electricians will come in and tell me its a no go and I have to upgrade the whole shebang or add a second panel. Wonder.... what could the worst case scenario be?

Based on the forum here and suggestions last year, I went out to the site Thumbtack.com and got a local electrician to come in and give a quote plus do the install. As others have said, the price will vary a lot based on how old your house is, how far you are from the panel and other factors.

I'm going to suggest that you bring in a licensed electrician, a good one. Good ones aren't cheap and cheap ones aren't good.

yes I suppose the post is misleading but this is exactly what ive done. I was concerned about cost surprises lol

Maximum 100A Circuit Breaker. The maximum current for charging the vehicle is 80A or 20 kW. At 230V, this will be 18 kW maximum. I would put a 60Amp breaker in for the Model Y.

I was planning on 50 so I bought one. Ill see what the electrician says.

All your breakers can add up over 100amps even if you have a 100amp breaker. The maximum load is calculated based on home size and usage. So you can go over 100amps. Let an electrician figure that out for you as these differ from place to place.

I could MAYBE see a scenario where I get close to the hundred amps if charging... but The way I see it, just charge while we sleep.

I think Ill be fine. thanks all for responding.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Maximum 100A Circuit Breaker. The maximum current for charging the vehicle is 80A or 20 kW. At 230V, this will be 18 kW maximum. I would put a 60Amp breaker in for the Model Y.
Pretty much all of that is wrong. You can usually tell the people with huge houses who think he's talking about a 100A circuit just for the car. No--he means the main line for his entire house is 100A.

I'm sort of nervous one of the electricians will come in and tell me its a no go and I have to upgrade the whole shebang or add a second panel. Wonder.... what could the worst case scenario be?
You're doing this kind of backward--cart before the horse. You decided on a 14-50, whether needed or not, and are THEN looking at what the electrical system of your house can support. That's the wrong way around, since you have a pretty small capacity panel. You should get a load calculation for your system and see how many amps are available for the extra charging circuit first. If that's only 30 or 40A available, then that already narrows down some of your choices for you. If the load calc says 30A, then a 14-30 outlet is just as easy and still a really good charging rate.

Pretty much all of that is wrong. You can usually tell the people with huge houses who think he's talking about a 100A circuit just for the car. No--he means the main line for his entire house is 100A.

You're doing this kind of backward--cart before the horse. You decided on a 14-50, whether needed or not, and are THEN looking at what the electrical system of your house can support. That's the wrong way around, since you have a pretty small capacity panel. You should get a load calculation for your system and see how many amps are available for the extra charging circuit first. If that's only 30 or 40A available, then that already narrows down some of your choices for you. If the load calc says 30A, then a 14-30 outlet is just as easy and still a really good charging rate.
This is FROM TESLA'S site FYI.

1619559447960.png

Part of the confusion is related to whether the OP's statement that there is 100A breaker is if this is for the whole house or is it a sub panel with 100A circuit breaker.

It is true that normally a 50A circuit breaker is used with a NEMA 14-50 receptacle; If there is insufficient capacity for a 50A breaker then a 40A breaker is allowed. (Part of the reason is that there is no specific 240V/40A receptacle so the 14-50 can be used with a 40A circuit.)

The Gen3 Wall Connector, unlike the Gen2 Wall Connector, is configured for the circuit via a local WiFi hot spot (within the Gen3 Wall Connector) using your phone. The settings include the circuit amperage for the installation. There are no switches to set.

This is FROM TESLA'S site FYI.
This is the Model Y section of the forum. You were stating things that are wrong and outdated and haven't been true or applicable for years now.
Maximum 100A Circuit Breaker. The maximum current for charging the vehicle is 80A or 20 kW. At 230V, this will be 18 kW maximum.
You say that's from Tesla's site? In very old archived material maybe, but nothing that applies to current vehicles, and especially not the Model Y.

Tesla hasn't sold a version of wall connector that can use a 100A circuit for a couple of years now.
There is no version of Tesla vehicle that can use 80A for several years now. They stopped offering those with the Model S refresh in 2016.

I would put a 60Amp breaker in for the Model Y.
And suggesting using a 60A circuit for just his car charging when the entire house has a 100A supply just isn't a good idea without suggesting doing a load calculation first, but still probably isn't a good idea.

This is the Model Y section of the forum. You were stating things that are wrong and outdated and haven't been true or applicable for years now.

You say that's from Tesla's site? In very old archived material maybe, but nothing that applies to current vehicles, and especially not the Model Y.

Tesla hasn't sold a version of wall connector that can use a 100A circuit for a couple of years now.
There is no version of Tesla vehicle that can use 80A for several years now. They stopped offering those with the Model S refresh in 2016.

And suggesting using a 60A circuit for just his car charging when the entire house has a 100A supply just isn't a good idea without suggesting doing a load calculation first, but still probably isn't a good idea.
All the above are quoted straight off the site, and show the Model Y and other models, if you read above. :)