Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

240 volt NEMA 14-50 outlet installation - any advice?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm having the 240 volt NEMA 14-50 outlet installed later this week in my garage. Other than following the instructions from Tesla are there any other things or upgrades I should do? There's a chance I might want to upgrade to a wall charger sometime in the future.

Thanks!

I'm having the 240 volt NEMA 14-50 outlet installed later this week in my garage. Other than following the instructions from Tesla are there any other things or upgrades I should do? There's a chance I might want to upgrade to a wall charger sometime in the future.

Thanks!
Wall charger is preferable. There have been problems with the 14-50 sockets overheating and melting.
Make sure they install at least #6 wire or better to handle the current.

Two suggestions:

Make sure the ground pin is up, this will make the UMC hang down nicely with less tendency to get loose. My electrician initially installed it the other way, and turned it over when asked.

Ask how much extra it costs to run larger wire. It's pretty cheap as they're installing it to run thicker copper, but much more expensive to upgrade later. When I moved to a HPWC, they increased the breaker from 50A to 60A to use the full wire capacity.

Wall charger is preferable. There have been problems with the 14-50 sockets overheating and melting.
Make sure they install at least #6 wire or better to handle the current.

I have to believe melted outlets had some other issue with them. If the wire and outlet are rated for the usage, it should be fine- that's the point of the rating.

I stuck with the Tesla-recommended outlets though (industrial grade) even though they're $50+ more expensive.

Reactions: rplace1021
Biggest issues are to use thick enough wire, get a high quality socket and circuit breaker. It's pretty straight forward for an installation that will be transmitting large amounts of current for long periods of time.

Pull a permit if you are concerned about insurance coverages in any eventuality.

• Helpful
I have to believe melted outlets had some other issue with them. If the wire and outlet are rated for the usage, it should be fine- that's the point of the rating.

I stuck with the Tesla-recommended outlets though (industrial grade) even though they're $50+ more expensive.
I think part of the issue with melted sockets has to do with repeated plugging/unplugging. These sockets are not designed for repeated use. They seem to be designed for "plug in your dryer/range once and leave it for 15 years".

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
I think part of the issue with melted sockets has to do with repeated plugging/unplugging. These sockets are not designed for repeated use. They seem to be designed for "plug in your dryer/range once and leave it for 15 years".

And hence why I have a second UMC that stays plugged in. It's cheaper and more flexible than a HPWC.
With a 14-50, you can plug in a number of different things, such as motorhomes, if needed. Also, if you have someone over that has another EV, they can probably charge off of it.

It can also be a lot cheaper to install a 14-50, as opposed to a "he is a rich person, I can charge him a lot" HPWC.

And hence why I have a second UMC that stays plugged in. It's cheaper and more flexible than a HPWC.
With a 14-50, you can plug in a number of different things, such as motorhomes, if needed. Also, if you have someone over that has another EV, they can probably charge off of it.

It can also be a lot cheaper to install a 14-50, as opposed to a "he is a rich person, I can charge him a lot" HPWC.
I have several 14-50s installed at different locations which are useful for visiting EVs/RVs. I have an EVSE with J1772 that I bought back when the HPWC was $1200 and the EVSE was "only" $400 that I use for visitors.
My main charge station is a HPWC.

Has anyone used the wall connecter with a plug instead of the hard wired wall connector?
Wall Connector with 14-50 Plug

Using 30+ years experience as an electrical engineer, I felt confident installing a NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage. Fortunately, distance from breaker panel was only 18 ft and 6 gauge THNN wire was used inside PVC conduit. Since Tesla recommends leaving UMC plugged in all the time, I bought an inexpensive NEMA recepticle at Home Depot. Zero problems after 14 months of use. Beware the UMC plug, cable, and NEMA outlet gets warm, but not hot. However, if you don't mind spending an additional $550 (I think), go with the HPWC because it delivers 25% faster charging. For an excellent comparison of both charging systems, check out Crosstalk Solutions on YouTube. Chris Sherwood provides the charge rates on his M3.

Also who cares if your car finishes charging an hour or two earlier during the night while you’re sleeping? Home charging faster than 32A is useful only in certain situations, such as you routinely arrive home during the day with a low charge and you’re heading back out in a long trip, or if someone has an extremely short TOU window.

My 14.50 has never had any problems being outside. I forgot the number wire i used, it was one size bigger than electrician said to use.
I never unlpug my cord. It has a bracket to rest it on.
This is in owners manual.

Attachments

• official.JPG
    official.JPG
    585.3 KB · Views: 436
Also who cares if your car finishes charging an hour or two earlier during the night while you’re sleeping? .
Excellent point and that's why I didn't buy an expensive WC. For me, away from home charging has always been a SC, DC, or J1772 which only requires an adapter. Carrying the UMC for daily travel makes no sense. However, for security on long trips, taking the UMC makes good sense.