Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

240 Volt NEMA 14-50 Outlet Installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve decided to go ahead and install a 240V NEMA 14-50 outlet on the outside of my house. Looking for a recommendation for an electrician in the NYC area.

I’d like the outlet to be mounted on a brink wall, and it will most likely be exposed to the elements, if that’s feasible.

The Tesla Wall Connector would be the better choice for an outdoor installation. The Tesla Wall Connector is fully weather rated. The Wall Connector now comes with a 24 foot charging cord. You can purchase a weather housing for the 14-50 receptacle (check on Amazon) but it will not be fully weather rated as moisture can still get into the receptacle. The charging cord on the Mobile Connector is only 18.5 feet in length.

The Wall Connector costs $500 but you won't need a GFCI circuit breaker ($100), only needs 2 wires plus ground instead of 3 wires plus ground for the 14-50 receptacle. The additional cost of the Wall Connector versus the 14-50 receptacle ends up being less than $200.

Also, for 2021 the cost of the circuit, labor and equipment is eligible for a tax credit on your federal income tax (30% of the cost up to $1000). See IRS Form 8911.

Last edited:
Jcanoe is spot on. The only thing that I will add is that I decided to go with the 14-50 due to having other pieces of equipment that uses it. So, more utility than anything else. Otherwise, I would have gone for the Wall Connector.

Most 14-50 receptacles are not designed for frequent plugging and unplugging operations. Repeated use of the receptacle can cause the connection that the plug makes with the receptacle to loosen over time. This can cause overheating of the interconnection between the plug and the receptacle. You can monitor the temperature of the receptacle while charging using a digital thermometer. The receptacle may have to be replaced after a relatively short time, i.e. a few years. There are commercial grade 14-50 receptacles that are designed for repeated use. You should ask your electrician to look into installing a commercial grade 14-50 receptacle.

Jcanoe is spot on. The only thing that I will add is that I decided to go with the 14-50 due to having other pieces of equipment that uses it. So, more utility than anything else. Otherwise, I would have gone for the Wall Connector.

@Micro517: In this case you should consider installing the Wall Connector and a 14-50 outlet with an A/B switch. Using the mobile connector outside requires exposure protection for the mobile connector since it is not rated for outdoor use. And as @jcanoe suggested, do not install a cheap 14-50 plug!

The weather rated Mobile Connector with permanently attached NEMA 14-50 plug costs nearly as much as a Wall Connector.

Wall Connector (up to 48 amps) with 24’ cord: $500

Corded Mobile Connector (up to 40 amps) with 20’ cord: $400

Sure, you could use the Mobile Connector that comes with the car, but it’s really not designed for daily outdoor use, as it is not weather tight. Both Mobile Connector options are susceptible to theft whereas the Wall Connector is not.

If you decide that the NEMA 14-50 receptacle is the right choice for you, make sure your electrician installs a Bryant or a Hubbell brand receptacle, not a Leviton brand from your local home store.

Last edited:
Reactions: ATPMSD
The weather rated Mobile Connector with permanently attached NEMA 14-50 plug costs nearly as much as a Wall Connector.

Wall Connector (up to 48 amps) with 24’ cord: $500

Corded Mobile Connector (up to 32 amps) with 20’ cord: $400

Sure, you could use the Mobile Connector that comes with the car, but it’s really not designed for daily outdoor use, as it is not weather tight. Both Mobile Connector options are susceptible to theft whereas the Wall Connector is not.

If you decide that the NEMA 14-50 receptacle is the right choice for you, make sure your electrician installs a Bryant or a Hubbell brand receptacle, not a Leviton brand from your local home store.

I believe the Corded Mobile Connector pulls up to 40 amps, whereas the regular UMC pulls up to 32 amps.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and ATPMSD
Most 14-50 receptacles are not designed for frequent plugging and unplugging operations. Repeated use of the receptacle can cause the connection that the plug makes with the receptacle to loosen over time. This can cause overheating of the interconnection between the plug and the receptacle. You can monitor the temperature of the receptacle while charging using a digital thermometer. The receptacle may have to be replaced after a relatively short time, i.e. a few years. There are commercial grade 14-50 receptacles that are designed for repeated use. You should ask your electrician to look into installing a commercial grade 14-50 receptacle.
I just replaced my cheap 14-50 receptacle with a Bryant commercial grade from Grainger. The cost was $53 and change compared to Amazon at $88. The difference in the two outlets is substantial. I also noticed the charging cable from my wall charger stays much cooler while charging. I now feel much safer that I won't burn my house down. I have my setup at 2 50Amp breakers running my wall charger at 40Amps. This is giving me 36 miles per hour of charge. my app says my charger is running at 244 Volts. Hope this helps.

Reactions: SWIPE and Big Earl
I just replaced my cheap 14-50 receptacle with a Bryant commercial grade from Grainger. The cost was $53 and change compared to Amazon at $88. The difference in the two outlets is substantial. I also noticed the charging cable from my wall charger stays much cooler while charging. I now feel much safer that I won't burn my house down. I have my setup at 2 50Amp breakers running my wall charger at 40Amps. This is giving me 36 miles per hour of charge. my app says my charger is running at 244 Volts. Hope this helps.
Any idea of how much installing a 220V circuit and Nema 14-50 outlet should cost (broad range is fine). My current garage infrastructure only supports 110V. I am currently being quoted around $2,750 for the full installation for the spot in my 3-car condo garage. This includes extending a conduit and upgrading my control box. Just don't have any idea if this is a reasonable price or not and would appreciate some insight.

Any idea of how much installing a 220V circuit and Nema 14-50 outlet should cost (broad range is fine). My current garage infrastructure only supports 110V. I am currently being quoted around $2,750
It can vary significantly. I had the misfortune of needing a whole new breaker box because the old one fell apart when looking at breaker capacity. I'm estimating the charging circuit which needed 50' of copper cable, added $800 to the total. The total project was $2,800, not including permit. I had several bids of $6,500 until I found an electrician who did exactly what I wanted.

It can vary significantly. I had the misfortune of needing a whole new breaker box because the old one fell apart when looking at breaker capacity. I'm estimating the charging circuit which needed 50' of copper cable, added $800 to the total. The total project was $2,800, not including permit. I had several bids of $6,500 until I found an electrician who did exactly what I wanted.
This is helpful to know and there is potential I need a new break box. If this is the case then $,2750 might not be unreasonable but will ask for a breakdown to support price, also will get a couple other quotes.

Hello @Kevrick I am having a Nema 14-50 with the same mindset, additional equipment can be used with these outlets. Which brand did you get and has it been working well for you?

If you install a NEMA 14-50 receptacle for charging your Tesla vehicle use Hubbell, Bryant (these are now the same company) or Cooper 14-50R.

Hubbell 9450a ($85) *
Bryant 9450fr ($40) *
Cooper 5754n ($50) *
* Prices may be out of date

Do not use Leviton 279-S00

For Hubbell and Bryant use the Hubbell cover plate SS701 ($9). The Leviton cover plate will no fit (the hole is too small.)