Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

240V Cable, CAN, and Cover for Sale

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just sold my 2010 Roadster Sport to make room for a Model X.

Now I'm looking for a new home for the following Roadster accessories.

1) 20V 15A Yellow Charging Cable modified with a spare Martin Eberhard controller circuit to support 240V 15A charging
Paid $900 for the cable, plus a few bucks for the parts to do the modification - offered for $450

2) Henry Sharp Black CAN - J1772 adaptor - Purchased in April 2013 - Used off an on until October 2014, since retired
http://www.hcsharp.com/tesla/images/Adapters/AdapterWRedStripeLocked.JPG
Paid $695 - offered for $350

3) Custom Tesla Roadster Car Cover, by California Car Cover Company
Includes openings for charge port and cooling vents. A bit dusty, but otherwise in great shape.
Don't recall what I paid, offered for $75

I'm located in Saratoga, CA.
I'll be in Hawthorne Thursday evening for the Truck Unveiling Event, and will bring them with me.

PM me if interested
-- Philip

Reactions: dhrivnak
I just sold my 2010 Roadster Sport to make room for a Model X.

Now I'm looking for a new home for the following Roadster accessories.

1) 20V 15A Yellow Charging Cable modified with a spare Martin Eberhard controller circuit to support 240V 15A charging
Paid $900 for the cable, plus a few bucks for the parts to do the modification - offered for $450

2) Henry Sharp Black CAN - J1772 adaptor - Purchased in April 2013 - Used off an on until October 2014, since retired
http://www.hcsharp.com/tesla/images/Adapters/AdapterWRedStripeLocked.JPG
Paid $695 - offered for $350

3) Custom Tesla Roadster Car Cover, by California Car Cover Company
Includes openings for charge port and cooling vents. A bit dusty, but otherwise in great shape.
Don't recall what I paid, offered for $75

I'm located in Saratoga, CA.
I'll be in Hawthorne Thursday evening for the Truck Unveiling Event, and will bring them with me.

PM me if interested
-- Philip

Congrats on the X! I've sent you a message on the adaptor and cover.

What exactly is this controller circuit? I'm intrigued...
To be honest, I don't have a whole lot of details. I believe that the circuit is from the product described in the following thread:

Roadster Foundry mobile charging kit

The circuit communicates with the car to identify the current and voltage capabilities of the outlet and cable.
But rather than use it to build a flexible system with multiple pigtails for a variety of charging environments, this one was used to upgrade the yellow cable sold by the factory. Be running the yellow cable at the same current (15A) but at double the voltage (240V instead of 120V) the charge rate is doubled.

To be honest, I don't have a whole lot of details. I believe that the circuit is from the product described in the following thread:

The circuit communicates with the car to identify the current and voltage capabilities of the outlet and cable.
But rather than use it to build a flexible system with multiple pigtails for a variety of charging environments, this one was used to upgrade the yellow cable sold by the factory. Be running the yellow cable at the same current (15A) but at double the voltage (240V instead of 120V) the charge rate is doubled.
Ah, interesting. So it's basically the prototype of what became the Roadster's Mobile Connector. Do you have a picture of the set? I don't "need" it, but it might be interesting from a historical perspective.

I've been using my Roadster Foundry mobile charger since I got my car. It's worked perfectly, the only problems being that the plug got a little dirty and would overheat and turn off until I cleaned it, and that some screws get loose if you move it around too much.

When I bought it, Tesla didn't offer a 14-50 charging solution, so this or the HPC (or 110V) were the options.

Philip, sorry to hear that you sold your Roadster. Another one lost from our local group. Hope you enjoy the X instead.

Regarding the 240V 15A charging cable: Martin Eberhard designed and built a mobile charging cable with interchangeable pigtails for different connectors. He gave the design to a small EV parts vendor who later failed and whose business was taken over by another. I traded my design for the front license plate bracket to the second guy in exchange for one of the circuit boards from Martin's design. They had wired the LEDs incorrectly on that one, so I got him to send another. I put that into an in-line junction box replacing the one in my original 30A MC240 from Tesla, and that continues to be my mobile cable for 14-50 sources.

Since Philip only had the yellow 120V 15A charging cable and nothing for 240V, I suggested that we could modify the yellow one to work at 240V using my extra circuit board. That way he could use the 240V outlet (20A?) in his garage workshop. I described the box and other parts he would need, then we worked together one day to assemble it.