TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

240v Issues (Burning smell, charred 240v plug)

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Carspotter Daily, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Carspotter Daily

I opened my garage door today to smell burning - plastic, or wires. After searching the garage door opener and all of the obvious locations to me, i decided to check the 240v outlet at the back of the garage dedicated to Tesla charging, which, at the time was in use. The Tesla charging cable was hot to the touch, so i unplugged it to find this.

DSC_0068web.JPG

I'm pretty sure this was a wiring issue on the 240's side, as the charred bits seem to be from the 240v plug.
    DSC_0066web.JPG

If anyone else has experience with this, let me know!

2. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

Yes, call a service center and they'll advise next steps including a new adapter

3. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

Most likely improper wiring behind the outlet. Either not torqued enough or wrong gauge of wire used.

Who installed it?

4. RAM_Eh

RAM_Eh Member

The price tag on the outlet.

More than likely this is a wiring issue, loose connection on the outlet or the plug was not seated properly in the outlet.

• Funny x 1
  5. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Until EVs came along, most loads plugged into these kinds of outlets were intermittent.... stoves, dryers and such that are used only every so often, and even when in use, the heating elements cycle on and off, allowing some cooling cycles. EVs present a unique problem and that is a constant, continuous high current draw that can exacerbate even small issues that may not manifest themselves with stoves or dryers. A slightly loose connection, ether where the wire is screwed on or where the prong fits into the slot can gradually heat up until stuff like this happens. In Canada, Tesla issued owners new UMCs that are limited to something less than the original 40 amp design (32 amps, I think but am not 100% sure) as a result of numerous issues like this.

• Informative x 1
  6. miimura

miimura Active Member

When you re-do the outlet, I recommend using a metal box and separate outlet like the one pictured below.

NEMA 14-50 Surface Box_r.jpg