Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

245/35/20 on oem 20” wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i’m ordering new tires for the oem sport wheels and wanted some Michelin Pilot A/S+ but the 235/35/20 are on backorder everywhere for a few weeks. 245/35/20’s are available however. Should I wait for the 235’s or should I just go with the 245’s?

The 245's are 1.1% larger in diameter compared to the 235's, which isn't a huge deal but it's a thing. I would just wait for the 235's if i were you.

upload_2018-12-29_16-5-20.png

• Informative
Reactions: RoBoRaT
I would personally go with the 245s even if the 235s were available. A bit wider for more grip and more rubber to reduce chance of damage from hitting potholes. With the 1% larger diameter your speedometer reading will just be 1% slower than your actual speed so very minimal difference.

Reactions: wenkan and afadeev
I would personally go with the 245s even if the 235s were available. A bit wider for more grip and more rubber to reduce chance of damage from hitting potholes. With the 1% larger diameter your speedometer reading will just be 1% slower than your actual speed so very minimal difference.

+1, for exactly all of the above reasons.

i'd go 245's. when i have to swap my tires out i'm just going to upgrade my wheels to 20x9 and wrap them in 255's. wider is better. but not too wide.

You can safely put 255 on 8.5" wide rims.
Per Michelin, rim width of 8.5-9.5" is recommended for either 255/30ZR20 or 8.5-10.0" 255/35ZR20 tires. Ether one could work, but the latter will provide a little more cushion, and are $14/per cheaper.
For 265mm and wider, you need 9+" rim.

a

Reactions: zhu-
I put on 255s and have zero regrets. More common tire size and slightly taller. I'll take every millimeter When it comes to a 20 inch wheel. off two miles per hour at 80 mph which is manageable. Rough winter for potholes in Colorado but no issues so far.

* 8.5 inch wheel. Slight stretch and looks perfect imo

I have not noticed any range loss however def more road noise for sure.
This 19 conti's are are very good quiet tire. I have not driven a performance model 3 w the stock michelins but coming from the oem 19s there are def some differences in ride quality and road noise even w brand new tires.

I put on 255s and have zero regrets. More common tire size and slightly taller. I'll take every millimeter When it comes to a 20 inch wheel. off two miles per hour at 80 mph which is manageable. Rough winter for potholes in Colorado but no issues so far.

* 8.5 inch wheel. Slight stretch and looks perfect imo
Anyway you can share a picture?

I downgraded to 19x9.5 wheels and 265 tires.. mainly because I wanted more rubber protection. Never considered just going wider on the 20”... and frankly missing the looks of the OEM 20”s.

I put PA4 high performance winter tires sized 245/35R20s on my P3D. They really feel mushy, much more than the sottozero 3’s I ran previously on my 2013 M5. Psi is 41/42 all around but after some research I found that several manufacturers will recommend 3-5 psi above published numbers in the cold so I think I should go up to 45 psi to help stiffen them up a bit. I think the extra size in tire needs more air.

Does anyone agree or disagree with this logic? I really hate the way it drives right now. I should mention I’m also on tsportline springs.