Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

245/35/20 on oem 20” wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I put PA4 high performance winter tires sized 245/35R20s on my P3D. They really feel mushy, much more than the sottozero 3’s I ran previously on my 2013 M5. Psi is 41/42 all around but after some research I found that several manufacturers will recommend 3-5 psi above published numbers in the cold so I think I should go up to 45 psi to help stiffen them up a bit. I think the extra size in tire needs more air.

Does anyone agree or disagree with this logic? I really hate the way it drives right now. I should mention I’m also on tsportline springs.

Is this impression from initial drive? New tires have mold agent that make them feel slippery until that cost wears off.

In my experience running 18" PA4s on 2 cars, they are superb tires that feel similar to UHP summers when driving sanely and under appropriate condition.

For pressures, as long as you are under the pressure ceiling specified on the tires, adjust the pressure to your taste, and re-adjust as necessary based on observed wear pattern (if you want to preserve longevity)

Check these pictures. Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 245/35R20's on the OEM 20" Performance rims. Basically it is perfect--as long as you are okay with a bit of lost range, maybe 5%.

IMG_4743.jpeg
IMG_4742.jpeg
IMG_4741.jpeg
IMG_4740.jpeg

I put PA4 high performance winter tires sized 245/35R20s on my P3D. They really feel mushy, much more than the sottozero 3’s I ran previously on my 2013 M5. Psi is 41/42 all around but after some research I found that several manufacturers will recommend 3-5 psi above published numbers in the cold so I think I should go up to 45 psi to help stiffen them up a bit. I think the extra size in tire needs more air.

Does anyone agree or disagree with this logic? I really hate the way it drives right now. I should mention I’m also on tsportline springs.
You should experiment with different air pressures to find something to your liking. I've found that with some tire designs and vehicle weights that lower inflation pressures can sometimes improve handling feel and numbers. Try 39, 42, and 45 PSI for a few days each and see what feels like the best compromise for you. Then you can fine tune from there. I don't think you'll want to go below 39 or above 45 since you'll probably start getting some uneven tire wear.

I wonder what a 265/35/20 would look like on there.... Would have loved to see a photo of the stock ps4s and the 245 ps4s laying down on the floor next to each other.
10mm wider. Split that in half since the tire stretches on both sides and you'll only see a 5mm difference on the lip. The 35 in 235/35 is a percentage defining the side wall size. So 35% or 245 vs 245 = 3.5mm. It's barely noticeable. Tbh I think the 245 is better in eery way than the 235 except for the reduction in range.

Regarding Tire Pressure. I dont know how this effects longevity but running these 245/35R20 XL's at 41 is too high. I brought them down to 38 and it not only feels better but there's less noise from them. (The noise reduction may have also come from me adding the Tesla weather mats. I kept the old mats on the floor below them just to add to the noise reduction properties.)

Thanks for the responses. I found that 45-46 psi is the sweet spot for these tires. They were way too mushy at 42. I’m happy again with the car and it drives well on these high perf snow tires, but am counting down the days to getting the summer ps4’s back on when it warms back up.

You should experiment with different air pressures to find something to your liking. I've found that with some tire designs and vehicle weights that lower inflation pressures can sometimes improve handling feel and numbers. Try 39, 42, and 45 PSI for a few days each and see what feels like the best compromise for you. Then you can fine tune from there. I don't think you'll want to go below 39 or above 45 since you'll probably start getting some uneven tire wear.

I took it down to 38 but try different pressures. You can feel the difference between 38 and 42 for example.

Hi, do u have p3d+?

I like the oem20” for my p3d+, but I just took a nasty hit and got a flat . Thank goodness my tires are spent, I was fixing to replace soon but held off as I’ve been contemplating 19” aftermarket and slightly bigger sidewalls to accommodate these unexpected potholes. I couldn’t find a reasonably priced 19” and don’t wanna spend much right now as I have other projects in the works. I plan on replacing with oem tires but saw that u went a different size why did u choose that? I thought the 30 gave less sidewalk protection and is the number I want higher for pothole protection?
And have u had it enough to see how much range loss ?
Thanks so much!

I like the oem20” for my p3d+, but I just took a nasty hit and got a flat . Thank goodness my tires are spent, I was fixing to replace soon but held off as I’ve been contemplating 19” aftermarket and slightly bigger sidewalls to accommodate these unexpected potholes. I couldn’t find a reasonably priced 19” and don’t wanna spend much right now as I have other projects in the works. I plan on replacing with oem tires but saw that u went a different size why did u choose that? I thought the 30 gave less sidewalk protection and is the number I want higher for pothole protection?

A 245/35/R20 will have a 3.4" sidewall compared to the stock tire (235/35/R20) having a 3.2" sidewall. You can see the numbers here: Tire Size Comparison

The tire itself is slightly larger, but not enough to cause major problems. I'd definitely say getting a 19" is a safer move to protect the rims though, check out VMR wheels for some not-so-expensive but good strength wheels for example.

A 245/35/R20 will have a 3.4" sidewall compared to the stock tire (235/35/R20) having a 3.2" sidewall. You can see the numbers here: Tire Size Comparison

The tire itself is slightly larger, but not enough to cause major problems. I'd definitely say getting a 19" is a safer move to protect the rims though, check out VMR wheels for some not-so-expensive but good strength wheels for example.

Nice, I had some v710s on my B7 S4. I will probably sell my gunpowder 20" wheels and get some 19" when its time for a new set of rubber.

Don't know if it's mentioned before, but Tesla installs 245/35R20 as standard on the special track pack wheels. That says enough I think.

On my own car I switched to 245/45R18 with lightweight forged wheels from Martian. That is a big performance upgrade (better handling, acceleration and milage) compared to the super heavy 20" cast alloys.