Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

245 40 19 tires efficiency

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone tried slightly wider tires on 19" rims (245 40 19) to prevent road rashes?
I'm thinking about going with Good Year Assurance Maxlife tires on 19" TSS rims.
Just wondering how much range I would loose.

By road rash, you mean curbing the wheels? If so, you'll still curb the wheels because the force of a 3500-4000 lb car hitting a curb will easily overcome the extra width of the tire. Better to invest in anti-curbing driver training. I have trained all the wheel curbers in my family not to curb the wheels anymore.

Recently put on Conti extremecontact DW06, in 245/40r19 size, and have experienced a huge drop in efficiency. Anyone else?
I just put on Conti Pure Contact LS in 245/40-19 on a new wheel that has 10 mm more offset (pokes out 10 mm further). These are Eco rated tires with a 700 treadwear and so far I've seen at least a 10-12% drop in efficiency versus the 18" Aero wheels with covers. It's about 40-45 degrees here, and I have to absolutely baby the car to get below 290 wh/hrs. It's quite surprising that this minor change creates such a difference and it makes clear that Tesla spent a ton of time optimizing the efficiency of the stock 18 wheel/tire package.

I just put on Conti Pure Contact LS in 245/40-19 on a new wheel that has 10 mm more offset (pokes out 10 mm further). These are Eco rated tires with a 700 treadwear and so far I've seen at least a 10-12% drop in efficiency versus the 18" Aero wheels with covers. It's about 40-45 degrees here, and I have to absolutely baby the car to get below 290 wh/hrs. It's quite surprising that this minor change creates such a difference and it makes clear that Tesla spent a ton of time optimizing the efficiency of the stock 18 wheel/tire package.
I'm am about to go from OEM 18s without covers and OEM tires to 19s, saving a pound a wheel, and wrapping them in PS AS4 245/40/19. I'll let you know what happens. With 31k miles on the stock wheels and MXM4, I average 264 wh/m overall in summer and winter here in Seattle Area. I would say about 2/3s of the miles are in the summer vs winter. I am hoping to not lose more than 8-10% with the 19s and PSAS4.

I am going with 245/40 instead of 235/40 because I feel the 235 on the 8.5"stock wheels were stretched. I didn't like it much, so going a little wider so the sidewall are so stretched.

Has anyone tried slightly wider tires on 19" rims (245 40 19) to prevent road rashes?
I'm thinking about going with Good Year Assurance Maxlife tires on 19" TSS rims.
Just wondering how much range I would loose.
The rolling resistance of the particular tire will matter more than a little extra width. Just something to keep in mind, go with models known to be optimized for low rolling resistance or "eco"ness. Sometimes you can find actual test results.

Reactions: gotoma8