TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

>24A charging at EVSE stations?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by brianp6621, Jun 2, 2018.

1. brianp6621

brianp6621 Member

So there are free Clipper Creek charging stations at my work. The label on then seems to indicate that they will output 32a continuous but my S100D won't let me set higher than 24A and I get a message saying "reduced charging rate" on all of them.

I have searched and find conflicting answers. Is this normal?

Brian

2. harry

harry Member

No, that's not normal. A Clipper Creek 40A unit should put out 32A continuous. Tesla reduces power when the car thinks there is some problem with the circuit, such as low voltage. Especially with three phase wiring where the charging station is far from the circuit box, the voltage will sometimes be below Tesla's pretty strict threshold.

3. brianp6621

brianp6621 Member

So how can I see if it is the car vs the installation of all chargers? Since they all act this way it seems the 2 conclusions are it is the car or the voltage drop effects all chargers since they presumably all go to the same panel?
    1. Check with another Tesla owner
    2. Try other similar like panels but installed elsewhere that hopefully don't have the issue

4. brianp6621

brianp6621 Member

It definitely seems like the car thinks something is wrong since it throws the "reduced rate check the charger etc "message

5. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Member

Does the Clipper Creek have a Tesla cable or are you using the adapter?
    I'm using the adapter and I think that it may be the limiting factor.

6. brianp6621

brianp6621 Member

The adapter. It's a standard J1772 charger

7. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2018.32.4

Did you try contacting your employer or whomever manages the charging stations? We have 36 32 amp charging stations at my employer. 99% of the time, they run at 32 amps but they can be "load managed" and the power to each can be individually adjusted if needed.

8. scaesare

scaesare Well-Known Member

Voltage drop will do it (and seems likely in tis case), other spikes/noise/dropouts on the line will trigger this as well.

9. davewill

davewill Member

I think the car display will still show 32a as the maximum (24/32 for example) when it's the car that is limiting the charge rate. If the EVSE was limited to 24a, then the display would definitely show that as the max.