Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

>24A charging at EVSE stations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So there are free Clipper Creek charging stations at my work. The label on then seems to indicate that they will output 32a continuous but my S100D won't let me set higher than 24A and I get a message saying "reduced charging rate" on all of them.

I have searched and find conflicting answers. Is this normal?

Brian

No, that's not normal. A Clipper Creek 40A unit should put out 32A continuous. Tesla reduces power when the car thinks there is some problem with the circuit, such as low voltage. Especially with three phase wiring where the charging station is far from the circuit box, the voltage will sometimes be below Tesla's pretty strict threshold.

No, that's not normal. A Clipper Creek 40A unit should put out 32A continuous. Tesla reduces power when the car thinks there is some problem with the circuit, such as low voltage. Especially with three phase wiring where the charging station is far from the circuit box, the voltage will sometimes be below Tesla's pretty strict threshold.
So how can I see if it is the car vs the installation of all chargers? Since they all act this way it seems the 2 conclusions are it is the car or the voltage drop effects all chargers since they presumably all go to the same panel?
1. Check with another Tesla owner
2. Try other similar like panels but installed elsewhere that hopefully don't have the issue

Did you try contacting your employer or whomever manages the charging stations? We have 36 32 amp charging stations at my employer. 99% of the time, they run at 32 amps but they can be "load managed" and the power to each can be individually adjusted if needed.