Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

24A when not charging, 32A when actually charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,

I have a question about my 24A vs 32A situation. When first plug in (after a drive, way before the scheduled charging time), app will initially say 32A not charging (due to scheduling)… then if I check back after a while, it will say 24A in the app (car is not charging and probably is sleeping)… if i click “start charging”, or let it roll pass the scheduled charging time, it will switch back to 32A limit automatically and the actual current will slowly raise to 32A in a few seconds… I wonder if this is normal… 🤔 (it does detect my 244V right away tho)

And when charging is completed, it stays at 32A.

*** again, no current drop during charging period, all happened before the scheduled charging time. All hardwares are cold (breaker, power line, mobile connector, the plugs, outlet).

** I don’t know how to upload a video to show how it switches back to 32A, don’t see an option to upload videos…

750B2BF1-A76C-4EDF-A323-C5C270881E65.jpeg

This is a bug in the phone App. The car will charge at 32 amps. I have the exact same issue. If you check in the car on the console display, the car says it will charge at 32 A. Wait until another update. I don't know if it is a car software update sending the wrong info to the phone app, or the phone app just displaying the wrong information. It is working OK.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
This is a bug in the phone App. The car will charge at 32 amps. I have the exact same issue. If you check in the car on the console display, the car says it will charge at 32 A. Wait until another update. I don't know if it is a car software update sending the wrong info to the phone app, or the phone app just displaying the wrong information. It is working OK.
Thank you. At least it’s not the wiring nor a car issue, it’s a relief for me. 🙂

Reactions: DerbyDave
So I check the car this time, so not only the app is saying 24A when plug in not charging, the car actually says that too… 🤷🏻‍♂️
However, when I click charge, or when it reach the charging time, it will switch back to 32A and stay that way…

5B20A5EF-F9F1-4973-BE1A-19B45DA37ACA.jpeg

Wake up and see if it isn't charging at 32. In my car it is just a display problem. This also happened about a year ago. New software fixed it, for awhile, until Tesla likely put a new programmer on this part who had no idea how it worked before, and had a better idea. Make sure you didn't actually change it to 24.

Wake up and see if it isn't charging at 32. In my car it is just a display problem. This also happened about a year ago. New software fixed it, for awhile, until Tesla likely put a new programmer on this part who had no idea how it worked before, and had a better idea. Make sure you didn't actually change it to 24.
I just check again, still at 32A no issue.
Every time when it charges it is at 32A…
24A only happens when it is not charging but plugged in.
Weird…
CD458053-E8BC-461D-8203-7F9F67C438F3.jpeg

Reactions: DerbyDave